• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Esata card troubleshooting

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

I bought this card recently:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816124054

When I plug it into my motherboard at home, when booting up, the computer blue-screens before the login prompt.

When I plug it into my motherboard at work, it booted right up and the driver installed with no issues.

I don't need it on my work computer as that already has an Esata port on it.

So, obviously the card isn't defective.

Motherboard is a Gigabyte Z170X-UD5-CF with a Skylake 6700K.

Any suggestions on how to get it to work, or figure out a model that is compatible?

Thanks!

Does it BSOD when there is a drive attached to it only? Is it trying to boot from that drive? If so, was the OS installed under IDE?

Does it BSOD when there is a drive attached to it only? Is it trying to boot from that drive? If so, was the OS installed under IDE?

Nope. I didn't get around to plugging a drive into it. I just powered down, unplugged the cord and put the bare card in a 1x slot. Plugged it back in, turned it on, and blue screen before login prompt.

I've got 2 video cards in the motherboard, so I used the 1x closest to the CPU.

What was the BSOD code?
Have you tried other slots?

I didn't write the code down. I'll take the card back home with me so I can do so.

I didn't try any other slots yet because they would be blocking the fans on my video cards. I'll remove a video card and try another slot.

I'm wondering if, with the multiple GPUs, you have the available PCIe lanes left......you do only have 16... and with 2 cards that is used up...

I'm wondering if, with the multiple GPUs, you have the available PCIe lanes left......you do only have 16... and with 2 cards that is used up...

That would explain why I couldn't add a 3rd video card. I suspected that might be the case.

Dang....I may have to get a new motherboard.

You *may* be able to add a 3rd AMD GPU as they can run on 4x... NVIDIA GPUs cannot.

A new motherboard would require the use of a PLX chip... and those couple of mobos are NOT cheap. If you want PCIe lanes, go X99 and 5930K(40 PCIe lanes - 5820K = 20 lanes)... also not a cheap solution. :(

Last edited:
Well, down to 1 video card and the Esata card a different 1x slot, and I get this:

error.jpg

There's a free program called Who Crashed that will translate the minidump files after BSOD. Can give some good clues as to what the cause is.

There's a free program called Who Crashed that will translate the minidump files after BSOD. Can give some good clues as to what the cause is.

This time around it says hal.dll is the problem.

Previous time it says "Custom Error"

This time around it says hal.dll is the problem.

Previous time it says "Custom Error"

It is more likely a driver conflict in your system than anything else.
HAL is balking at the addition of the card and it's registry entries.
You may be looking at a fresh install with the card installed to fix this.

Back