• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVIL!!!! (not really, it's just a unique mod)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought it would have caused heat issues so I never considered it. But appearantly the smaller ones don't output as much. That globe has a meager 92mm diameter.

What's that bright light? If it were bigger it'd distract me totally from the static ball thing (I forgot what they're called but I think they're full of static electricity right?)

Tipycol said:
What's that bright light? If it were bigger it'd distract me totally from the static ball thing (I forgot what they're called but I think they're full of static electricity right?)
That's the blue LED power light. The main lighting is a Blue CCFL.

They're essentially a bulb filled with plasma with a static generator built into the middle. There's a link at the end of the article explain them in detail.

Whoa I didn't realize the pic was a link too. Hmm...maybe if my case wasn't tucked away under my desk this would be an interesting thing to have :)

Mike K said:
There's another one like that here.
Sweet mother of pearl! That guy does some extremely dangerous/stupid/haphazard/not good for performance this to his machines!

Namely the rope lights. Those get really hot.

I thought that guy was very ingenious in his designs (Furby put me over board LOL) and did nice work.

i wana do this MOD so bad i have a 120mm hole in my case from a fan i decided does no good now and it be perfect to fill it :) time to go to Kmart :D

I've wanted to do the static ball and the rope lights for a long time. Unfortunately I never got around to either of em. Very nice mods, its inspired me to actually go through with it this time. Hmmm, now where can I get some rope lights and a static ball for reeeeally cheap. (fried 1 too many CPU's, no $ left, lol)

RagingGecko said:
I've wanted to do the static ball and the rope lights for a long time. Unfortunately I never got around to either of em. Very nice mods, its inspired me to actually go through with it this time. Hmmm, now where can I get some rope lights and a static ball for reeeeally cheap. (fried 1 too many CPU's, no $ left, lol)

DON'T USE ROPE LIGHTS

They reach 110 degrees on the outside of the tubing becase it's using tiny light bulbs. It will totally screw with you case temps. For the same price ($10) you could get a cold cathode kit at www.exabytesystems.com

not really, static still does jump around with that thing. i would shield it for sure to prevent problems ubt beyond that man that IS SO DANG COOL!

Hey how bout putting one of the flat round things tha have a similar efect but are clear in the side of your casde! that would be the coolest case light, tho you would want nice cooling behind it.

Back