• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Excel 2010 Beta, Cell Labels are numbers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phil178821

Excel has always been letter labels horizontally and numbers vertically. For some reason, my Excel 2010 Beta is numbers on both, even though all images of see online and in help of excel have the letters and numbers.

This became a problem when I wanted to subtracted one number from each cell in a column. I want to use the $x$# method so that it keeps the one cell the same as I past the EQ down the column.

Thanks guys.

The labels shouldn't effect anything, since you can change the labels to whatever you want.

So, $#$# should work just as $x$# or $<label>$<label> if you changed the label names.

In XL open Tools--> Options--> 'General' tab. Under 'Settings', click to clear the 'R1C1 reference style' check box. If you select the 'R1C1 reference style' check box, XL changes the reference style of both row and column headings, and cell references from the A1 style to the R1C1 style.

The labels shouldn't effect anything, since you can change the labels to whatever you want.

So, $#$# should work just as $x$# or $<label>$<label> if you changed the label names.

I tried this before and for whatever reason it didnt work.

In XL open Tools--> Options--> 'General' tab. Under 'Settings', click to clear the 'R1C1 reference style' check box. If you select the 'R1C1 reference style' check box, XL changes the reference style of both row and column headings, and cell references from the A1 style to the R1C1 style.

Ah found it. It helps knowing its called the R1C1 style. It was under the formula tab in settings, though.

Thanks guys

Back