• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

explanation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jws2346

Let me start this off with an explanation. First, I'm so poor I can't afford to pay attention. With that said, let me tell you my collection of computers. 1. AMD x2 4200+ @ stock, I can't figure out the issue of differences in core temp, 2. Intel Pentium D 805 @ 3.32 stable, I have it in a 775DUAL-VSTA, no vcore adjustment and 3. my folding machine, an Intel P4 (skt 478) 2.60 GHz, 800 fsb with only 512 MB of PC3200. I know, I need another stick of RAM, I'm going to try and push it to more GHz's when I get some more RAM. The thing that started this thread for me was "who cares" what kind of chip you have ? (AMD or Intel) As long as your happy with it and it seems to be quality. I wish I could afford an Intel Conroe. Now, for a question, I have a 400w Antec SmartPower PSU in the 2.60, but according to Everest Home Edition my 12v rail is only 10.43v, is there something wrong with the PSU ? I have a 80 mm fan in front, a 80 mm fan side, and a 120 mm fan in the back, a vcore of 1.50v, is this too much voltage consumption ? It's been pretty stable so far. I know I had it in a Celeron 346 (3.06 GHz stock) @ 3.8 GHz, but it kept occasionally shutting down, PSU, MB, loose connection, or what ? (WTF ?, it's frustrating, I gave up and moved it to my folding rig)

Last edited:
:welcome:

From what I can see your 12v rail is way below norm. I would get yourself a DMM from Radio shack or Home depot. Can get a cheap one for around $15 - $20

It will allow you to truely see if everest is correct. The symptoms you describe could be a PSU problem. You really need to find your correct voltages first. And you need to do it while the machine boots into windows and runs something cpu intensive and graphic intensive..

Do a search on the forums for how to test your voltages with a DMM so you do it correctly.

Thanks

Thx CGR, I'm just out the door to Radio Shack now to get a DMM. Is the yellow wire the 12 volt rail ? I hope the program (Everest) is wrong about the 12v rail being 10.43 volts, but Sisoft Sandra says it's only 10.23 volts. The damn PSU is only a couple of months old and light duty at that. The reason I'm thinking about the PSU is , after I get more RAM, I hope to OC the 2.60 to 3 GHz. What do you think ?

Thx greemaji, you really opened my eyes with the "bad caps" thing. I'm going to take CGR's advice and check the 12v rail with a DMM. If it's still low then it's "open heart" surgury for the Antec. I read 10.43 in Everest and 10.23v in Sisoft Sandra. What do you think, a OC from 2.60 to 3 GHz ?

Last edited:
Back