• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feedback on memory overclock, is it safe, is there room for more? TY

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ceslen

Registered
I'm newish to memory overclocking. I just wanted someone with more experience than I to take a look at my current settings and confirm they are safe. I don't want to melt anything :)
These settings showed no errors with 86 mem test. I tried loosening the timings but had no post and I'm unsure exactly what each does exactly so I'm unfamiliar with how to adjust them individually. (Tried 17 17 37, booted but crashed). I assume (hopefully) I haven't done anything crazy with the voltage but if there is room for adjustment there, or anywhere, any advice is greatly appreciated.
If 3466 is all it can get, I'm ok with it. I just don't like missing out on potential performance if I can get it.
Thank you!

Memory label states:
*G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVKB
*DDR4 3200MHz 8gb x 2
*CL 16-18-18-38 1.35v

Current settings are:
3466MHz
cas latency 16
ras to cas delay 18
ras act time 38

dram voltage 1.3860
vccio voltage 1.15
sys agent voltage 1.15

At that voltage nothing will melt (short of a PSU malfunction). You can download Thaiphoon Burner and see what memory ICs you have. http://www.softnology.biz/files.html That will give some idea of what your OC expectations should be. You can try 1.400v and see if you can bump the speed up. After 3600 MHz you won't see any real gains anywhere but benchmarks except in some very specific tasks. If you can install an OS on a separate drive from your daily driver you'll eliminate the risk of borking your OS install. If you have to use your main OS for finding your best memory OC, proceed with small increments, as an unstable RAM OC can corrupt the OS.

And test for stability every step of the way. An unstable OC can lie in wait until it just decides to crash-and may take your whole OS with it.

It's likely Hynix based RAM judging by the speed/timings and isn't going to run at a high rate of speed. If everything is stable as it is I would just run them this way. You're not going to get much if any noticeable difference by tightening/speeding them up.
If you're just playing around to see what you can do, take your time and don't change a lot of timings at once. One at a time and test Hynix isn't as tolerant to voltage and will start to get a bit unstable or not boot at all once it's too high. 1.45V should be useable and safe

Thank you both [emoji1] very helpful, I’ll put those tips to use this evening [emoji106]

Back