• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I sort of remember seeing it done once, but can't remember where. FWIW, it was asked at swiftech's forums and one person answered that it was ok without being rebuked. Take special note of his comment on the res. I did see a few places saying that MCP350's had trouble starting on their side but nothing about the 355's.

Quick question guys, does it matter how the pump is mounted? What I mean is, could I mount the pump sideways, having the "base" screwed onto the side of my case? Other than where the pump is going everything else is figured out on my case and all thats left is testing the water cooling :beer: Cant wait.

In general the pump should be mounted at the lowest point in the case. This likely has to do with the pump being "helped" by the added pressure on the intake. I wouldn't sweat it though, put it where it makes the most sense for your situation.

Last edited:
In general the pump should be mounted at the lowest point in the case. This likely has to do with the pump being "helped" by the added pressure on the intake. I wouldn't sweat it though, put it where it makes the most sense for your situation.
Gravity isn't going to have any effect in a closed loop setup - the net drop comes out to 0 no matter where you put the pump. The primary reason for putting the pump on the bottom is to make it easier to prime when you fill the loop, especially from a T-line. If it's not on the bottom you can still fill the loop, but you might have to be a little more creative with how you orient the case during the filling process. Mine is near the top, and filling can be a bit of a pain.

Gravity isn't going to have any effect in a closed loop setup - the net drop comes out to 0 no matter where you put the pump. The primary reason for putting the pump on the bottom is to make it easier to prime when you fill the loop, especially from a T-line. If it's not on the bottom you can still fill the loop, but you might have to be a little more creative with how you orient the case during the filling process. Mine is near the top, and filling can be a bit of a pain.

If this were true you could pull a fitting at the lowest part of a loop and be confronted with the same results as pulling a fitting positioned above the highwater line. There is indeed pressure created by gravity, though the effect on a loop is minimal at best in terms of operation, as I said.

Yeah, I've heard of people who tilt their cases to prime\fill. Dude, just the idea of having to do something like that makes me want to hurl! :D I got into it with a res designer at XS once. His res (dual 5 1/4 bay with a 655 mount on the back) was contructed in such a way that you HAVE to sit your case on its back to prime. He refused to understand why I wouldn't want to go through that when all I do is pop the plug on the res, insert a funnel and pour! He didn't get the idea that I PLANNED as many aspects of my rig as possible to make it easy to deal with.

If this were true you could pull a fitting at the lowest part of a loop and be confronted with the same results as pulling a fitting positioned above the highwater line. There is indeed pressure created by gravity, though the effect on a loop is minimal at best in terms of operation, as I said.
Once you pull the fitting it's no longer a closed loop.

Welp right now I think that I am having the top rad blow in and the bottom rad blow out. Doing this because I realized I had to many bay slots taken up so I couldnt mount the lower rad vertical. At the moment it is mounted on the very bottom front of the case, with holes cut out for airflow out of the case. Seeing as how the case will be sitting on carpeted floor for the next couple of months until I move into my new house I thought it would be best to have the lower rad as an exaust. I'm leaving for a vacation for the next week but I will finish setting everything up when I come back. All i have is a picture of the parts used right now, I'll take another when I wake up of how everything is setup before the watercooling. Heh, ignore the funny tablecloth type thing. It was used so I wouldnt scratch up the nice table underneath. The video card came later in the day so it wasnt in the picture :(

computer013r.jpg

EVGA x58 Classified mobo
Velociraptor 300GB Hard Disc Drive
Core i7 965 processor
6 x 2GB Corsair memory
Coolermaster Cosmos S case
Floppy drive (call me old school heh, and yes I just realized the mobo doesnt support it :cry:)
Western Digital 1TB hdd
Coolermaster Real Power Pro 1250W psu

OH, very nice. youll injoy putting that together. then youll like it even more when ya fire it up....good luck and welcome to the forum:welcome:

Right, we'll keep this as clinical as possible then, sir. The mechanics of your particular "take" on a closed loop is tossed out of the window the second pumping force is applied. Downhill is always downhill in a an environment ruled by the weak force, especially when the essential nature of fluid is taken into account. AGAIN, I did not say that this effect was either strong OR essential to good working order of a loop, only that at one time it was thought to be so. As such, I don't need to further debate a stance I never took. I hope this is as clear as crystal now.

Right, we'll keep this as clinical as possible then, sir. The mechanics of your particular "take" on a closed loop is tossed out of the window the second pumping force is applied. Downhill is always downhill in a an environment ruled by the weak force, especially when the essential nature of fluid is taken into account. AGAIN, I did not say that this effect was either strong OR essential to good working order of a loop, only that at one time it was thought to be so. As such, I don't need to further debate a stance I never took. I hope this is as clear as crystal now.
I apologize if I've offended you. I was simply trying to explain how this works.

Didnt mean to start a heated debate :eek: But I took a few more pictures if anyone is interested. Oh, and I figured out a good place to mount the pump. Right ontop of the psu, has plenty of room. I figure that some padded double side tape should hold it down pretty well and reduce any vibration noises.

computer2057.jpg

computer2058.jpg

computer2060.jpg

Mounted the 2x120mm radiator in the very bottom.

computer2061.jpg

Here is a view from the bottom, you can see where the hole was cut for the airflow out of the radiator. The other radiator is up top.

computer2062.jpg

My poor floppy :cry: Shortly after this it got the boot and the hard drive cage was moved up a slot. RIP floppy.

computer2067.jpg

I see you went with the DD GPU block, DK. Did you have any issues with the install?

Naw, opted for a BFG tech preinstalled one. I didnt tryst my clumbsy hands with taking apart the video card.

In other news, didnt even flip the switch to the pump we were just filling the loop with water and it leaked like a faucet. We completely forgot to tighten one of the barbs and it got alllll over :eek:

Going to blowdry it and let it sit for a couple of days :bang head

Naw, opted for a BFG tech preinstalled one. I didnt tryst my clumbsy hands with taking apart the video card.

In other news, didnt even flip the switch to the pump we were just filling the loop with water and it leaked like a faucet. We completely forgot to tighten one of the barbs and it got alllll over :eek:

Going to blowdry it and let it sit for a couple of days :bang head

You did the right thing. I followed the instructions that came with the block and ended up having to take the card apart again, AFTER I installed it completely. :screwy:

:D Nice! I pulled a boner like that recently. Stuff like this keeps computers new and fresh. Just when I start to get REAL cocky I screw up royale! :beer:

Back