• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File copy frustration (copying Pic's)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

I was having trouble copying my pictures from cd to hdd. I want to put all my pic's in the "my pictures" folder but when trying to blanket copy a bunch of pic's I get the old "do you want to overwrite the existing file?" when the camera names all pic's from img001 to img whatever, and you change mem cards, the next card has a lot of the same numbers, but not the same pic's.

So what I need to do is copy all the folders to the hdd, then go into each folder, rename the pic's and then re-copy all the renamed pic's to MY Pictures and then toss out the folders...way to much time spent.

What M.S. needs to add is a simple helper like renaming files on the fly whilst copying. Example: I want to copy several folders that contain images numbered from 1-10 but I don't want to copy the folder, just the pic's....ok, you can't rename files on the cd because it's closed, and I get the overwrite question when copying to hdd, so why not allow people to change the name at the time of file copy?
Maybe this isn't so simple to code, but it would sure make taking pic's a whole lot more fun

Check your camera settings as there is usually an option for not starting over on the numbering. besides that I guess you need a batch renaming tool.

I agree, windows should have some kind of batch filename modifier utility included.

This free program will handle the job. I've used it with much success. Takes a bit to understand the interface but it's very powerful and quick once you get the hang of it.

Bulk Rename Utility

BRU_Main_Screen.jpg

Check your Camera setting - make sure the File Number Sequence is set to "ON" so that the "numbering" doesn't reset until it reaches 9999.

Back