• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally got my water cooling all inside the new case!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mysterfix

Finally got my water cooling all inside the new case! 56k Warning!

These are pics of my old setup, as you can see the rad is on the top.

This case is just way too crowded!

My new rig is a CM stacker case with all components inside.

I got a lot of great ideas from you guys so thanks. :) First off I decided to make a fiberglass shroud. It turned out decent but I did learn a few things to try for next time. I also switched to a bonneville heatercore (with A/C) as it is not as wide as the one I had originally. The cut out area on the side of the case is where I had to cut it to fit the first heatercore.

For fans I went with a couple of 24v Sanyo Denki's, they move quite a bit of air and are nearly silent at 12v. My loop is using tap water with a mixture of antifreeze and dye from a hilighter marker.

I also switched from 5/8"OD to 3/4"OD 1/2" tubing, it looks nicer and handles tight bends a heck of alot better than the 5/8" stuff. I cut a window in the side panel but it's not done yet. I've still got to cut out the opening for a 120mm fan. I'm pleased with the results so far, my temps are a little bit higher do to the warm weather but idle is 32ºc and load is 42ºc.

I'll update this thread once I finish the window mod.

Edit: I also have not installed my backup HD yet, still considering placement of cables and wires.

Last edited:
Very nice I did a fiberglass shroud out of casting material. You can check it out in my sig. I like what you've done, keep up the good work.

It looks really good. It’s a whole lot cleaner and neater than the first one. Having the heater core inside of the case always looks better in my opinion.

hainer36 said:
where do ya get that fiberglass....i need some for making a shroud to fit 2x120mm on a hc that can hold 1.75x120mm fans
I got the fiberglass kit at my local auto parts store for around $16. I got the idea for the shroud after reading your thread cap. :)

Yes I am using tapwater and it works great for me. My first setup got cloudy but since I switched to prestone extended life A/F I really haven't had a problem. I'll really be able to tell in a few more weeks if I'm going to get cloudy water. I'm actually using metal tape and I think it's the bomb, it's very durable, very sticky and it doesn't break down over time like ductape. And you can paint it.

people frown on tap water because of many elements that exist in it. the stuff pegged as 'hard water' would certainly have an impact over time, as the particles in the water can collect on transfer surfaces and degrade performance.

but, thats not written in stone. i would keep an eye on it

distilled water costs $1, and distillation is probably one of the best filtration methods. so u are getting good clean water.

just a thought

We have some of the best tapwater in the country according to researchers " quoted from local news" but I might try using distlled water in the future. I just wish there was a way around using antifreeze in my loop. I would try other solutions but my maze4 is the aluminum topped version. I don't want to take chance on corrosion getting in my loop. And yes mort I did cut a window out on the side panel, I'm just waiting to get a couple of UV reactive fans before I show it off. I am also thinking about painting the inside of the case black for some contrast against the blue and green uv parts.

Much better setup and cable management. I do want however to comment on the tap water thing. Take a special look at the electrical conductivity of different waters in part 1.

Everyone needs to read these articles. They are very informative and go into a lot of detail as to why you don't use tap water and do use distilled water and what additives to use. $200-$300 dollars is not worth a .70 cents jug of distilled water to prolong the life of your components.

http://www.overclockers.com/articles993/
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1153/index.asp

Back