• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First AMD Build-using AsRock 939 dual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok i'm finally up and running and really stable. Screenshots coming.
Did all the patches...System is incredibly fast.

Tweaking is a little strange to me. The memory especially, I am using Bios 2.10...

Last edited:
On Post #490 It says Burst Length =4 beats ( 8 beats if your Ram supports it).
How can you find this out?

rebelranger said:
On Post #490 It says Burst Length =4 beats ( 8 beats if your Ram supports it).
How can you find this out?
some memory modules support 8 beat burst length and is in the spec.
I tried to find it in your mem spec but could'nt. So, go ahead just use 4 beat.
how is overclocking? what speed do you have it now.
Try 250x10 to give you 1:1 ratio.
If have done the vdimm yet, those rams should only need 2.7v @ DDR 450, same timings (3-4-4-8, 1T). So you might want to use 166/333 memory speed/divider. That will put your speed to 270x10=2.7ghz and memory @ 225mhz(DDR450).

rebelranger said:
Ok i'm finally up and running and really stable. Screenshots coming.
Did all the patches...System is incredibly fast.

Tweaking is a little strange to me. The memory especially, I am using Bios 2.10...

Which patches are you referring to, rebelranger? The dual core driver and hotfix?

ochungry said:
some memory modules support 8 beat burst length and is in the spec.
I tried to find it in your mem spec but could'nt. So, go ahead just use 4 beat.
how is overclocking? what speed do you have it now.
Try 250x10 to give you 1:1 ratio.
If have done the vdimm yet, those rams should only need 2.7v @ DDR 450, same timings (3-4-4-8, 1T). So you might want to use 166/333 memory speed/divider. That will put your speed to 270x10=2.7ghz and memory @ 225mhz(DDR450).

Ocing is a little frustrating... I got up to 260 and seemed to go crazy.
But I'm reading another guide and am right now tweaking over and over...
I'll try as you suggest.
I did not do the volt mod or vdimm but will as soon as I have time...
Seems when I get to 245 and above things get strange..
Also Bios 2.10 is much different than the guides I'm using...

Last edited:
chevro1et said:
Which patches are you referring to, rebelranger? The dual core driver and hotfix?

Exactly those patches... I didn't do the registry tweak yet but am not afraid to jump onit. I'm spending less time in windows and more in the Bios...

REb,

240-245 MHz was about the peak I could reach without volt mods, you may be there too especially with your stock vdimm.

RollingThunder said:
REb,

240-245 MHz was about the peak I could reach without volt mods, you may be there too especially with your stock vdimm.

Well this weekend, me and the ole (new) solderin iron will make the Vimm a reality. Might as well do the power vmod for cpu power as well

Can someone point me to a link with a photo of the completed mods or post a photo?

rebelranger said:
Can someone point me to a link with a photo of the completed mods or post a photo?
All the voltmods for this board (Asrock dual SataII) are in the opening post of voltmod thread.
which vmod are you trying to do?
there are 2 vcore mods. The one by OCW forum goes up to 1.55v (1.568 actually)
and then the Rebel's vcore mode requires resistor and can go as high as 1.7v. OCW forum mod is connecting one of VID's to grnd. I suggest using VID3 mod.
I have posted A better location for OCW's soldering pads (VID's), to avoid removing HSF bracket and away from vcore regulator.
Vdimm mods are also in the voltmod thread.
the photo I posted for you before, is a simpler version of ocw forum vdimm mod. 2 wires soldered to each end of resistor #2. and the other end of wires soldered to 1k or 2K VR.
The TechPowerUp vdimm mod is doing the same thing as I am, believe it or not, but the hard way.
recall, we discussed the mods? use of flux, wick and so on.

Yep I like your vcore mod...
Thats the easy one. But the vdimm is not sinking in..thats why I wanted to see it in final. I have all but the wick and want to do this tomorrow night... I'll review the post again and see if it sinks in...

Thanks for your patience with me on this...

rebelranger said:
Yep I like your vcore mod...
Thats the easy one. But the vdimm is not sinking in..thats why I wanted to see it in final. I have all but the wick and want to do this tomorrow night... I'll review the post again and see if it sinks in...

Thanks for your patience with me on this...
Oh no problem. just review the mods and if have any Q? throw it at us.
If you look at the screenshot of my homemade VR you will see how I am currently using the vdimm. The VR I mentioned w/ 1-2k trimmer/VR, will give you lots of vdimm voltage variations. The OCW's and TechPowerUP's will put you into fixed range. My method is simpler and easier I think. less messy too. all you do is solder 2 wires to (one each end of ) resistor #2 and bring the wires outside of the case and play w/ vdimm. I also have soldered a wire to vdimm read and check vdimm w/ voltmeter outside of the case.
Soldering guide
another Soldering guide
Resistor #2
Vdimm read
Some basics on VR/potentiometers
My homemade VR (Variable resistot)
Radioshack's 10K VR. max is 10k that will give you: (10*1.2)/(10+1.2)=1071ohm=no change
5K will give you: (5*1.2)/(5+1.2)= 967 ohm=little increase in vdimm voltage. maybe ~2.75v
2k vr @ max will give you : (2*1.2)/(2+1.2)=750ohm=2.82v vdimm
1k max Vr= (1*1.2)/(1+1.2)=545ohm= 2.88-2.90v vdimm.
That's why I said use a 2k or 1K Vr (blue rectangulare)from radishack.
It has 15 turns. max=2K=2.82, 1/2 way(7-8 turns)=2.9v, and is near 200ohm will give you about 3volts vdimm.
OCW vcore mod corresponding vcore table
Hope all clear. any Q, dont hesitate to ask.
good luck
EDIT: Just remember to use soft/flexible wire such as stripping IDE string. Solid wire will break off the resistor, because it's stiff.

Last edited:
ochungry said:
Oh no problem. just review the mods and if have any Q? throw it at us.
If you look at the screenshot of my homemade VR you will see how I am currently using the vdimm. The VR I mentioned w/ 1-2k trimmer/VR, will give you lots of vdimm voltage variations. The OCW's and TechPowerUP's will put you into fixed range. My method is simpler and easier I think. less messy too. all you do is solder 2 wires to (one each end of ) resistor #2 and bring the wires outside of the case and play w/ vdimm. I also have soldered a wire to vdimm read and check vdimm w/ voltmeter outside of the case.
Soldering guide
another Soldering guide
Resistor #2
Vdimm read
Some basics on VR/potentiometers
My homemade VR (Variable resistot)
Radioshack's 10K VR. max is 10k that will give you: (10*1.2)/(10+1.2)=1071ohm=no change
5K will give you: (5*1.2)/(5+1.2)= 967 ohm=little increase in vdimm voltage. maybe ~2.75v
2k vr @ max will give you : (2*1.2)/(2+1.2)=750ohm=2.82v vdimm
1k max Vr= (1*1.2)/(1+1.2)=545ohm= 2.88-2.90v vdimm.
That's why I said use a 2k or 1K Vr (blue rectangulare)from radishack.
It has 15 turns. max=2K=2.82, 1/2 way(7-8 turns)=2.9v, and is near 200ohm will give you about 3volts vdimm.
OCW vcore mod corresponding vcore table
Hope all clear. any Q, dont hesitate to ask.
good luck
EDIT: Just remember to use soft/flexible wire such as stripping IDE string. Solid wire will break off the resistor, because it's stiff.

Seems complex yet simple...I'll start this in a bit. first the vcore.. I'll insure its correct then the vdimm

Thanks OCH

ochungry said:
Yes I posted it in AMD cpu section.
Your next opteron build should be AM2 platform. Tha's what I am planning.
I am hoping that a 2.ghz can overclock to 2.8ghz and good to go for couple of years at least.
Im thinking of doing the AM2 Platform..
Which board are you considering..?
I am thinking DFI...

I did the vcore mod with no problem..
Ill play with this a while then tomorrow tackle the vdimm..
I'm almost ready for another build this one was really easy the OC is tricky but the mods are needed as you've told me...

Last edited:
rebelranger said:
Im thinking of doing the AM2 Platform..
Which board are you considering..?
I am thinking DFI...

I did the vcore mod with no problem..
Ill play with this a while then tomorrow tackle the vdimm..
Great. which version of vcore did you do? (VID3, or VID4, mine or OCW's)?
I am waiting for some more reviews on motherboards. As of now Foxcon has good review. I wont do SLI, so might just wait for Epox or buy the Asus 570.
I am sure in couple of months we will see more boards and better selections.

I used VID3+VID5 mod.
That Foxconn looks promising.. I want something that wont need any v-mods and will support the ATI cards... Im not interested in SLI. But can I ask something dumb... If a board is Nvidia Chipset or SLI will ATI cards work?

Back