• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First AMD Build-using AsRock 939 dual

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
rebelranger said:
I used VID3+VID5 mod.
That Foxconn looks promising.. I want something that wont need any v-mods and will support the ATI cards... Im not interested in SLI. But can I ask something dumb... If a board is Nvidia Chipset or SLI will ATI cards work?
Yes ATI card should work on nvedia boards and vis versa.
So, you went for the gusto? you should have enough vcore then.
I get 1.58v modded both VID's.

DUDE!

just got mine together. needed a little tweeking to run at proper stock speeds (ram and vcore) but now shes going great. Going to overclock tonight.

stock cooling though :( (no heat pipe cooler either) but it will be sweet when i get my BT back on it.

ochungry said:
Yes ATI card should work on nvedia boards and vis versa.
So, you went for the gusto? you should have enough vcore then.
I get 1.58v modded both VID's.

I'll be testing tonight and then moving on to the Vdimm which is the "more complex" or it seems so... But the Vcore seemed simple enough... I already have the IDE wire and on my case there are holes for water cooling. So I'm gonna run right through there...

Great info on the Nvidia...I want to get a board that I can run another opty in and use the Ati cards..DFi's look like heaven...No V-mods...but so many options for Ocing.... Really would love an AM2 like the Asus 570 or Foxcon you mentioned.. just need to read more and see some reviews and user opinions.
I have to build a system for another family member who wants a super system...They love my Abit rig....So I may pass my Abit (IC7-G) over to him and build the next system for myself..???

Hipcrostino said:
DUDE!

just got mine together. needed a little tweeking to run at proper stock speeds (ram and vcore) but now shes going great. Going to overclock tonight.

stock cooling though :( (no heat pipe cooler either) but it will be sweet when i get my BT back on it.

Which mods did you use?

Hipcrostino said:
no mods yet man. stock bios even. running at 2.7ghz, 245mhz on the ram now

How did you do that>????
I got to 270 but very unstable... random reboots.. Which Bios are you using?

the ram runs 260 stable ( i think , just mem86 tested)

however my sig lies atm, timings are 2.5,3,3,8 1T.

pc3200 ram too. :) volt mods should help!

but right now i have AGP issues (crap performance)

manual. Its all at stock though now. This agp problem is driving me nuts! Got the ULi driver installed (tried both 220 and 213 intergrated from nvidia), but it stil performs like crap.

Somtimes in rthdribl (with large config) it runs at ~120fps. this is about right i believe. but most of the time it will run at ~60..... no vsync either.

EDIT: I think i might have found it with the AGP p2p setting. Seems to work

Last edited:
Hipcrostino said:
manual. Its all at stock though now. This agp problem is driving me nuts! Got the ULi driver installed (tried both 220 and 213 intergrated from nvidia), but it stil performs like crap.

Somtimes in rthdribl (with large config) it runs at ~120fps. this is about right i believe. but most of the time it will run at ~60..... no vsync either.

EDIT: I think i might have found it with the AGP p2p setting. Seems to work

Yea, that damn agp deep fifo setting had me bitched for awhile as well... I must have a mental block on that setting, as this is the second time in as many weeks that someone was having agp issues and i totally blanked on it...

2.10 stock

Just an update, found 4x AGP setting gave me a huge boost. its at what it should be now.

5572 3d05 on stock everything!!! yay! (my XP-M got 5600 at 2.7Ghz)

Last edited:
i know this ram as i used it in my old computer. There for i already know (and have since confirmed) that this ram can't run at cas3. Its rated at 2 2 2 6 , so i set it to this as i am running it at stock. When overclocking i loosen to 2.5 3 3 8 and tighten them after i find a stable clock.

Unfortunalty i confirmed that 2.5 3 3 8 @ DDR500 is unstable (at least untill i vmod the vdimm).

Excellent ..
Wish I knew these Patriot sticks prior. But allseems good.
Ocing with AMD is very different for me from the intel....
So I'm following everyone's lead...

OK I did my vdimm and am soaring to new heights...
So far very stable.. Still playing with the settings...
So far so good.

nice one!

hey dose anyone know how acurate the cpu temp readings are on this board. mine seem rediculusly low....

got her into windows at 2.8, but it was quite unstable. I had 27000mb of ram aparently!! (according to cpuz).

that was at 280 fsb. i was thinking it was the cpu, but these things have a bit of a wall at 270htt don't they? I have booted into windows before at 300htt (x9) and it was fine, so dose that mean the 270 barrier dosn't affect me?

274 htt was the 'old' ceiling in the older bioses. I believe that it was changed to ~400htt in bios 1.50 (official) or so, as well as in the OCW betas and the German as well.

Which vresion of cpuz are you running? I believe that the newest is 1.33 or something like that...

Hipcrostino said:
nice one!

hey dose anyone know how acurate the cpu temp readings are on this board. mine seem rediculusly low....

got her into windows at 2.8, but it was quite unstable. I had 27000mb of ram aparently!! (according to cpuz).

that was at 280 fsb. i was thinking it was the cpu, but these things have a bit of a wall at 270htt don't they? I have booted into windows before at 300htt (x9) and it was fine, so dose that mean the 270 barrier dosn't affect me?
it's CPUz mostly. close and open cpuz couple of times and should show correctly. If not close and open again. But yes-if unstable, many programs will error out. Without vcore mod, your 146 stable limit is at around 270mhz cpu fsb/htt. and that's starching it. I also think your ram needs more vdimm. TCCD's need about 2.95v to hit 300 mhz. sometimes more. Mine needs 2.99-3.0v vdimm. Some TCCD's have to be in 2T over 275mhz. I can go up to 290 mhz 1T if i have 3volts. but to hit 300mhz I have to set it to 2T.
I like 270-275mhz range and use cpu multiplier and ram divider to get the optimal setting.
For 146 opteron being 10x multi, you should do well w/ TCCD 1:1 ratio.
280x 10 1:1 was optimal for me in terms of scores(spi 32M).
@ 2.8ghz I only needed 1.575v vcore and was happy w/ power/watts and temperature. anything over 280 needed 1.6v vcore or more and not stable when into multiple tasks. So I say: if you are withing 2.7-2.8ghz w/ opteron 146, that is great "stable" overclock without worrying about temp and high voltage. Those who shoot for 3ghz, usually have the best stepping and right components and do it for record and their machine is on dice, LN2, and all kinds of exotic components. their highest OC only lasts for the benchmarks (10 to 30 minutes) and are not 24/7. If you see someone posts that he is doing 2.9ghz w/ his/her opty 144/146, 165/170, 24/7, take it w/ a grain of salt and a smile. most probably they spent 2 grant to get 10 minutes or 2.9-3ghz for the record.

The latest:
I may have incorrectly done my vcore or vdimm.. I seemed to be doing OK but then everything became unstable...
I reset the Bios/CMOS and cant Oc past 230...
I'm going over all my steps to see if I maybe did something wrong. I have the trimmer outside my case via IDE cable... Double checking my soldering points with a magnifer light to make sure all are solid and no bleed...
My vcore shows as normal and no change.. was I supposed to do vid 3 and vid 5 as per OCH's version? or just vid 5?

One thing I did get up to 272 at one point but it was unstable. So the only stable point that I can boot into is 230..

rebelranger said:
The latest:
I may have incorrectly done my vcore or vdimm.. I seemed to be doing OK but then everything became unstable...
I reset the Bios/CMOS and cant Oc past 230...
I'm going over all my steps to see if I maybe did something wrong. I have the trimmer outside my case via IDE cable... Double checking my soldering points with a magnifer light to make sure all are solid and no bleed...
My vcore shows as normal and no change.. was I supposed to do vid 3 and vid 5 as per OCH's version? or just vid 5?

One thing I did get up to 272 at one point but it was unstable. So the only stable point that I can boot into is 230..
check the vcore table for VID3 you will see that 1.375 to 1.450v will stay intact(no change). If you want more than 1.475v you need to set vcore to 1.225.
1.225=1.425 (+.025 for vid5=1.450)
1.250= 1.450 (+.025 vid5=1.475)
1.275=1.475(+.025 vid=1.50)
1.30=1.50(+.025 vid 5= 1.525v)
1.350=1.550+.025=1.575
1.375=1.375+.025=1.40

1.40=1.40+.025=1.425
1.425=1.425+.025=1.450
1.450=1.450+.025=1.475
To check your vcore, before going to windows, just go to bios by pressing "F2" and then check vcore that way. you can check vdimm while in bios, also.
If you have soldered a wire to vdimm read, it is much easier to check vdimm (while in bios "f2" method) and just turn the trimmer toward one of the trimmer's leg. if you see decrease, turn it opposite way.
if you soldered wire to each end of resistor #2, the vdimm increase is gradual and very slow. so dont worry about turning it too far to or away from the leg.
the resistor end to the right( closer to #1 in photo) is ground, and the other end is connected to resistor above it. So you know which wire has current and which is ground. if the trimmer knob is turned all the way toward the ground leg, you will reach near 3.05v (which is safe). So I would say about 5 to 7 turns away from the ground leg should give you about 2.9v
The trimmer has 3 legs. you can just discard one of outer legs and just use the middle leg and one outer leg. The middle leg usually is grounded(wiper).
so, it's best if you solder the ground end of resistor #2 (top end toward motherboard near transistor marked #1) to middle leg of trimmer.
Try above and let me know how it's working.

EDIT: the vcores for VID3 mod that I posted was incorrect. red colors are corrected

Last edited:
Back