• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first pc build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
thank you

if i install a ssd is that where the tomahawk plus could be a better choice?

just wonder why the tomahawk plus is suppose to be better than the regular. that is all over my head. a ssd with sataIII would udilize the sataIII in the plus model.

have been looking at hard drives to and think i will get one. the two i have are very old.

a bit cheaper and maybe will get a ssd later then use this hard drive as mentioned above.

WD Black 500GB
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ignorebbr=1&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

Both motherboards have SATA III, I'm sure. That's the standard now and has been for years. You don't need to worry about anything negatively impacting SATA performance unless you are using multiple video cards and/or PCI-e m.2 storage devices that exceed the motherboard's ability to provide lanes and bandwidth. You have no need to worry about that in your situation.

I think the main difference between the two is the Plus has the built in IO shield which is a nice feature. Its overall the slightly better model. It also had much better reviews and was cheaper, win win.

I would maybe drop down to a 250GB SSD if you need something a little cheaper.
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250086

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820168335&Tpk=N82E16820168335
an extra $5 off w/ promo code 80212EDSS05

Then add additional storage later instead of having to reinstall Windows.

Last edited:
was thinking same thing. just want more than 500gb total and this hard drive should be better than what i have. hopefully a lot better. really want to get a ssd later.

but anyway everything i ordered is here and hopefully will be able to log in and thank you guys.

is there anything a nub will most likely over look? bios or something.

-AMD RYZEN 3 1200
-G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) F4-3200C14D-16GVR
-WD Black 500GB Performance
-MSI B350 TOMAHAWK PLUS

Make sure your motherboard offsets match up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and that all the offsets installed in the motherboard tray are accounted for. Make sure you connect both the 24-pin main connector to the motherboard and the 8 pin 12v up by the socket. Make sure your video card has direct power from the PSU. Make sure all add in cards and RAM are seated securely.

Offsets = standoffs.

What he is saying is make sure the brass standoffs that come with tbe case are installed for your size motherboard. ;)

If your gonna get a sdd a m2 ssd is the fastest bus available atm and they cost the same. This guide here can help you understand them the mainboard your looking at has one slot for one gotta get a type m the guide will give you examples basically its a smaller form factor ssd that plugs directly into your mainboard on that one its next to the primary video card slot. I was in a similar boat a few hours ago never heard of them before now ive read a few articles and watched a few videos doesn't make me a expert by any means but id say im reasonably educated on the subject now.

Offsets = standoffs.

What he is saying is make sure the brass standoffs that come with tbe case are installed for your size motherboard. ;)

"Standoffs," yes. Better term. Although "offsets" is less socially offensive because you don't come across as "standoffish."

What I meant was make sure there are no unused standoffs underneath the motherboard that would ground out against the traces. If there are extra ones to the rear or off to the side that are not touching the underside of the motherboard that won't matter.

@ trent and earthdog
you two are awesome and like to watch you two go back and forth.:)

i apologize for not logging in when it was back together but have been busy with some other thing. i just started pulling wires and strip the case. was thinking at the time "probably shouldn't be doing it like this". painted inside the case and when it dried started the build. everything went together easy and when i tried to boot it up, nothing lol. looked through the book looked around the motherboard and everything looked correct. then found the problem, thought i switched off the power supply when i pulled it. so after i reassembled it i thought i was turning the power supply back on but actually was turning it off. well flick the switch on the power supply and tried it again and it booted up. when i was trying to figure out how to install win 10 from usb i noticed in the msi booklet it said can't boot from usb. that kind of freaked me out. went into set and and was able to boot from usb so...

thank you guys for the help

now i am trying to figure out the whole over clocking thing and i noticed something in bios-setup the cpu i think is running at 85C. not sure what screen i was at but took a picture and uploaded it. would appreciate any help.

what am i looking at, am i over heatning?
0217181031-00.jpg

"Standoffs," yes. Better term. Although "offsets" is less socially offensive because you don't come across as "standoffish."
I'm going assume that is sarcasm and an attempt at humor.

now i am trying to figure out the whole over clocking thing and i noticed something in bios-setup the cpu i think is running at 85C. not sure what screen i was at but took a picture and uploaded it. would appreciate any help.

what am i looking at, am i over heatning?
You can snap pics of the bios by hitting f12 and having it save to a USB stick. That image is blurry, lol....

Anyway, it looks like you are between 40-50C according to that image/graph. The line going up is for the fan speed set points bud. The long line going across starting at 40 is the CPU temperature.

that is much better thank you. i was worried about the 85C on the right. but ran hwmonitor and it seems to be 33. found a cool video how to overclock, but can it be set to auto for cpu and ram and get better speeds for now?
MSI_Snap_Shot_00.png

have a couple probably stupid questions but this stuff is over my head.

does a ssd replace hard drive or run in tandem? You can do it either way. If you get a small capacity SSD you will likely need to have a larger spinner drive to store pictures, movies and other data. But put Windows on the SSD and as many programs as it will hold as that will speed up your boot and load times dramatically. If you get a larger SSD then you can use it for both purposes.

looked at the ssd mentioned above the "ADATA Ultimate SU650 3D NAND 2.5" 480 GB SSD". in the description it says "Wide capacity range: 120GB to 480GB".
is the total storage 120gb or 480gb? It means that model SSD is sold in different capacities, just like you can get hard drives of the same basic model in a range of capacities. It simply indicates the amount of storage space. The physical size of the drive would be the same and other build characteristics, just like all hard drives are the same physical size but come in different capacities.

would like to order this stuff to because not sure when my current pc is going to poop out.

have it running stable at 38.00/1.2878 cpu overclock. ram seems to do good just setting it at 3200. tested it with prime95 and intel burn test.

have a problem i can not figure out with my favorite game. can't log in when cpu is overclocked but can log in when cpu frequency and volts are set to auto. when i have core performance boost on the cpu reaches 35.00 on it's own.

it runs great until i try to log into world of tanks.

CPU: ryzen3 1200
Motherboard: msi tomahawk plus
bios version: 160
Cooler: oem
RAM: g.skill F4-3200C14D-16GVR
GPU: geforce gt 640
Case: cool master haf 912
PSU: corsair gs600
Storage: WD Black 500GB - 7200 RPM SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch

Last edited:
can't log into their battle ship game when overclocked either but, can log into a different tank game war thunder.

Do you have any trouble logging on to other websites in general when overclocked? This is a very weird effect.

it was the latest bios update for the tomahawk plus version 160. found the MSI UEFI Flash and currently running 110.

there was some weird behavior in the browser occasionally. running at 3800MHz and seems to be doing a lot better. i did read some where the latest version had some fixes for the APUs.

Back