• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time builder looking for some advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bulldozor

Hey there

I need a new gaming rig and i've never really had any good experiences with buying a premade, so i'm seriously concidering this project.

But before i do, i thought i should consult teh pros ;)

I'm looking to build a mid-high end rig, trying to keep the price under 2000 $ but i don't want to cut any corners that could come back to haunt me later on when trying to replace parts.

I will be wanting to do -some- overclocking, but i'm completely new to this, before discovering this forum i thought it would drastically reduce lifetime of your system and keep breaking down on you, so don't think im ready for the big package yet :p

Also note that i live outside of the US so buying things off newegg is unfortunally not a posibillity :(

First off, mobo.

I've heard great things about the Asus Rampage board, however when i check online there's a wide selection of different versions of this board. I have no idea what to aim for.

The one i have in mind is called:
ASUS Rampage III GENE, Socket-1366
mATX, X58, DDR3, 2xPCIe(2.0)x16, SupremeFX X-FI, ROG Connect, SATA 6Gb/s, USB3.0
(http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=604848)
I have no idea what i'm looking for here, what is needed what is overkill?

Links is from a danish hardware store, feel free to use links from different sites.

Quite certain i'll be using an Intel Core I7-950 ish, processor (3,06ghz)
http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=609506

And i'm also sure i'll be using a cooler master HAF case
Something like http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=461645 ish

For PSU i'm cocidering a
Corsair AX 750W PSUATX 12V V2.31, 80 Plus Gold, Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 12x SATA

(http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=600425)
But again i have no clue what i'm looking for in the name.

For videocard and memory i honestly just picked the first ones that sorta-looked-good at a reasonable price

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6850 1GB GDDR5PCI-Express 2.0, 2xDVI-I, HDMI, DisplayPort, 775MHz, Lite-Retail
(http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=625436)

&

-Corsair Dominator DHX DDR3 1600MHz 12GBKit w/3x 4GB XMS3 DHX, CL9-9-9-24, for Core i7, connector for Airflow Pro, 1.65v

(http://www.komplett.dk/k/ki.aspx?sku=601465)

Completely lost on this one, i don't know what is good or what will fit together, what i'm looking for if im planning to overclock and what will work in the future.

Also looking to pick up a SSD drive to boot from, and a regular sata 1tb drive for all teh crap that eventually seem to pile up on my pc.

Any tips or suggestions would be much apreciated, especially on the parts, what am i lacking and what would you suggest i do.

PS. don't think this is another "i cannot be arsed to look for answers so i'll spam the forum" thread, i've been looking arround for info about building your own rig for a few weeks and i feel i'm sorta stuck.

the i7 is a very nice processor, but also very expensive. a phenom 2 x6 1090t will only run you around $200 for the processor, and you can get a socket AM3 board for around $100 that will do you just fine. i was all ready to pull the trigger on a brand new phenom 2 x6, motherboard, ram, psu, dvd drive, case, and a nvidia 560 video card i was lookin nearly $1400 and that included a 60gb ssd hard drive. if you consider an AMD Phenom 2 x6 and an AM3 motherboard by Asus or MSI, you can be futureproofed with the ability to flash the bios and run Bulldozer later. or even better, you can get a phenom 2 x4 975be and thats cheaper then the 1090t and those 4 core phenoms can easily be overclocked and the 975 runs at 3.6ghz stock.

Thanks for the feedback but i'm not going to lie, i didn't understand half of that. :(

Basicly what you're saying is buy a cheaper proccessor, and swap it out later on when a better one comes arround?

I'm going to need more info.

Hey Bulldozer, I just recently got a build for a new comp priced around 1200$.

From help on the OC forums this is what I got:

Burner ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Case Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SSD Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL90GB-DX 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC

Video Card EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460

PSU CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650

RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Mobo GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67

PSU Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

I also went with a SSD instead of an HDD, expensive but worth it. Do you live in Canada? If so there is a Canadian newegg site.

I hope this helps :)

Hey Bulldozer, I just recently got a build for a new comp priced around 1200$.

From help on the OC forums this is what I got:

Burner ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner

Case Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

SSD Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL90GB-DX 2.5" 90GB SATA II MLC

Video Card EVGA 01G-P3-1380-KR GeForce GTX 460

PSU CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650

RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Mobo GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67

PSU Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz

I also went with a SSD instead of an HDD, expensive but worth it. Do you live in Canada? If so there is a Canadian newegg site.

I hope this helps :)

^ Build this and you'll be happy. (I suggest 8GB of memory but most people will say 4).
My suggestion is change the video card to GTX 560 and you may want different storage than this based on your needs but the core is solid- great power supply motherboard and cpu.

The 2500K and 2600K are the best cpus out there for less than $400 right now and they compete with the $1000 intel 980X and occasionally best it. Definitely where to go. They're better than the first gen i7 1366 cpus like what I have and what you were going to build on.

I checked that build out and it's a whole lot cheaper than expected :)

My next question is, is there room to upgrade?

Can swap processor / gfx card ect. later if needed?

Also, is the PSU powerful enough to handle another gfx card?

I checked that build out and it's a whole lot cheaper than expected :)

My next question is, is there room to upgrade?

Can swap processor / gfx card ect. later if needed?

Also, is the PSU powerful enough to handle another gfx card?

Go 850> if you want more options for multi (especially higher end) GPUs.

Multi GPU on that mobo (UD4) is AMD ONLY. Not Nvidia.

And yes Intel plans to release 6 core CPUs for that socket and you can totally move to one when they are available.

If you want to go multi graphics, get 1 reference AMD 6950 now, reflash it to a 6970 (instructions on forum in AMD GPU) and then later you can add another and if you overclock them they'll smoke a GTX 580 together which is pretty darn good. Don't get your hopes up on the overclock bit though, as usually reflashed 6950s wont overclock. :). If you want that get the straight 6970 card. IMO a good option is to get the 6970 in a volt tweak model, like the ASUS DCUII, where you can super overclock and increase voltage. Two of THOSE together would be very nice. I still prever NVIDIA just for the drivers though as I like them better... Don't know if its worth not being able to dual GPU. Probably not.

If you go Nvidia remember you can only use 1 card.

So NVIDIA:

GTX 560 or 570<can use 1

AMD

6950 or 6970 <can use multiple

Thermaltake powersupply is not a wise choice.
Put the build in an Antec Sonata or something. It comes with a quasi-ok PSU. There's also an Antec 300 with a 430 watt which is semi-decent.

Back