• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First timer's AMD build, help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
for $5 more you can get a 4890 last I saw in cyber-deals. ($153 I believe AMIR for the cheapest of them)

You also want to leave room for a heatsink if you intend of overclocking or tweaking it. If you, make sure it comes with a bolt through kit. My Tuniq Tower performed well on my 920, but temps improved a lot after I fashioned up a bolt through kit for it.

Naw, I'm not OCing. I'm happy for what I've got, check the post above you :D

If you have never overclocked it can be real addictive, plus the 940 can pull some major performance increases with a little move voltage and a few more mhz speed. Dont let it overwhelm you if you've never done it, you will get smoother gameplay out of that 4870 with a overclocked cpu.

That looks real good :)

Was going to suggest getting the 920 if you are not OCing, but.. it is Out of stock AND more expensive than the 940BE lol.

I think that deal last week for $132 pretty much cleaned out the Phenom II 920 :)

I also have a similar Gigabyte board. the UD4 not UD4P. I think the only difference is two extra SATA ports, 8+2 phase instead of 4+1 (how much does this matter?), and support for DDR2-1333 instead of DDR2-1200.

:welcome: to OCF!

Some very good choices and I really like the changes you've made to your list - very positive moves. That rig should serve you well for quite some time.

You might want to reconsider over-clocking - especially for that CPU. It's a very fine chip even at stock but OC'ing is really about getting more for your money, not just spending more to set records. ;) A mild OC can increase your performance and won't cost you anything except a little time. You've already done one of the most important things for OC'ing - taken your time to pick out solid components. Now all you need do is take the next step; assemble your rig and don't be afraid to learn how it works. :) You don't have to run the chip on the ragged edge to OC it and get better performance. A few simple changes to your BIOS can help a lot.

I also have a similar Gigabyte board. the UD4 not UD4P. I think the only difference is two extra SATA ports, 8+2 phase instead of 4+1 (how much does this matter?), and support for DDR2-1333 instead of DDR2-1200.
8+2 v 4+1?!? That's a BIG difference if you're over-clocking.
(It might be 8+1, still dual-plane and much better than 4+1.)

The power plans won't make a difference at all if you're not OC'ing ...

8+2 v 4+1?!? That's a BIG difference if you're over-clocking.
(It might be 8+1, still dual-plane and much better than 4+1.)

The power plans won't make a difference at all if you're not OC'ing ...

What will it allow? Higher overclocks? Lower voltages for those overclocks? More stable vcore? Lower idle vcore?

I'm not overclocking right now, but I might if I find an application/game that is poorly threaded and requires a high clock speed. It really makes me sad when newer games only utilize a single thread (I.E. Overlord 2)

What will it allow? Higher overclocks? Lower voltages for those overclocks? More stable vcore? Lower idle vcore?
Yes. :)

Generally, dual-power planes deliver a more solid stream of power to the CPU. With less ripple you can skirt the edge closer without losing stability, whether it be OC'ing or under-volting at stock ...

Ehh, I'll look into it. Even a slight bump in the BIOS can greatly improve rigs. However, there is a risk into OCing, so I'm afraid of that.

If you OC, is it covered by warranty?

Yes. :)

Generally, dual-power planes deliver a more solid stream of power to the CPU. With less ripple you can skirt the edge closer without losing stability, whether it be OC'ing or under-volting at stock ...

Do you have a Phenom II, if so what is the vcore on load and idle (with CnQ, stock clocks)? Mine is 1.056v idle and 1.344v load but I've seen some people get sub 1v idle... I guess this has to do with the motherboard and power supply?

Ehh, I'll look into it. Even a slight bump in the BIOS can greatly improve rigs. However, there is a risk into OCing, so I'm afraid of that.

If you OC, is it covered by warranty?
In three years I've never seen a CPU or board die from a mild OC. Only people who don't follow basic guidelines for voltage and temperature end up with dead equipment from OC'ing.

Do you have a Phenom II, if so what is the vcore on load and idle (with CnQ, stock clocks)? Mine is 1.056v idle and 1.344v load but I've seen some people get sub 1v idle... I guess this has to do with the motherboard and power supply?
The rig I was talking about is a 940BE on an M3A32-MVP board with 2x1 Gb Corsair DDR2-800 CL4 RAM.
Currently running 3525 (235x15) @ 1.36 vCore, NB 2350 @ 1.225v - 42°C on SETI using a TRUE & medium Panaflo.
CnQ doesn't run stock clocks at idle - it down-clocks the CPU and drops the vCore to save power.

I haven't run CnQ since July 2006. I crunch SETI and our Team's unofficial motto is "No Off Switch!". I was running 1.15 vCore at SETI load at the stock 3.0 GHz speed for just under 48 hours with the northbridge OC'ed to 2.0 GHz instead of the stock 1.8 GHz. SETI load is typically as much as, or maybe a very small hair under, P95 (load temps run about 0.5°C lower). It's a lot tougher to crunch 48 hours worth of valid work units than run P95 for 24 hours - and I get credit for crunching, P95 just heats up the room. ;)

BTW - The rig did pass a 3 hour P95 test (manually stopped) just before I started crunching ...

Last edited:
What is your guy's favorite PC parts distributor?

NewEgg, Micro Center, Tiger Direct, etc.?

Newegg without a doubt. Sometimes someone else may beat their prices but it's seldom. And you never have to double-guess about the warranty or support ... :)

The G.Skill memory you have picked out (N82E16820231166) is intel chipset only.

I bought the same memory for an amd build (940BE and gigabyte 790 MB) and that memory will NOT run at 1066 regardless of what I try. Best could get it to go with lots of tweaking was 990.

At $60 for 2 x 2GB these G.Skills will run at 1066 not limited to intel chipsets: N82E16820231246 and N82E16820231184

The G.Skill memory you have picked out (N82E16820231166) is intel chipset only.

I bought the same memory for an amd build (940BE and gigabyte 790 MB) and that memory will NOT run at 1066.

At $60 for 2 x 2GB these G.Skills will run at 1066: N82E16820231246 and N82E16820231184

So enlighten me what makes them run @1066 on intel chipset and not on AMD one. Once again it is only marketing i used that memory with great success , there has to be either a user error or mobo issue with you not being able to run 1066 .

If you need help getting it run at rated speed start a tread in memory section of the forum .

Last edited:
So enlighten me what makes them run @1066 on intel chipset and not on AMD one. Once again it is only marketing i used that memory with great success , there has to be either a user error or mobo issue with you not being able to run 1066 .

If you need help getting it run at rated speed start a tread in memory section of the forum .

When you read the newegg reviews for that produce you will see a number of folks who could not get it to work at 1066 with amd chipset (as well as others who did).

It won't work for me. Since it's sold as intel chipset, there's no reason for RMA. What are your settings that you have it running at 1066?

For $10 more for 2 x 2GB these G.Skills are guarenteed to run at 1066: N82E16820231246 and N82E16820231184

Last edited:
When you read the newegg reviews for that produce you will see a number of folks who could not get it to work at 1066 with amd chipset (as well as others who did).

It won't work for me. Since it's sold as intel chipset, there's no reason for RMA. What are your settings that you have it running at 1066?

For $10 more for 2 x 2GB these G.Skills are guarenteed to run at 1066: N82E16820231246 and N82E16820231184

Yes i have been running that kit of memory at rated speed 1066 mhz , after setting appropriate voltages , timings and frequency . 90% of people who post negative reviews on newegg are idiots who has very little to say about computers and only expressing their inability to make something work , this memory will not work with Athlon processors at 1066 mhz unless overclocked but same goes for all 1066 mhz memory not just this kit , this memory will work with Phenom I & II based processors at rated speeds , also it will work at that speed with sad processors only one dimm per channel , meaning only 2 sticks can be run at that speed unless tweaked ,but again same goes for other 1066 kits .

Dram frequency 533mhz
Dram Voltage 2.1 ( make sure your mobo is not undervolting the modules by checking the bios health page , also you can try everest .
5-5-5-15 , rest you can set auto or tweak later , of course u need to keep you HT bus at stock 200 mhz, additionally i little bump to north bridge vcore might help you to find stability .

Last edited:
Back