• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flamethrower 1972's 'updating my F@H' thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
More PPD and more efficient power use is the name of the game! 3060 Ti is a solid choice. Curious............. when is THIS going to happen?

I ask because, again, if it's months down the road, God only knows what options will be available and at what price when you're actually ready to buy. I'm not saying not to discuss it, but understand that things will be different if this is a months down the road purchase like your PC. You may be able to get something better around that time (just like with your PC). ;)

More PPD and more efficient power use is the name of the game! 3060 Ti is a solid choice. Curious............. when is THIS going to happen?

I ask because, again, if it's months down the road, God only knows what options will be available and at what price when you're actually ready to buy. I'm not saying to not discuss it, but, understand that things will be different if this is a months down the road purchase like your PC.
It depends one money left over after I make my next order. I just want more points. Also, this card is only going to be in my folding right not my new gaming rig.

Last edited:
I have been thinking that I take one of 1080 tis out and replace it with a card just a little stronger something used in $200 range anyone have ideas? How about a 3060.

You can compare here to see if it's worth it...I would just run the 1080 Ti.

These numbers in the link are a bit low. At least during the last competition, I had ~20M PPD on RTX4080 (17M in the link), ~10M PPD on RTX4070 (7M in the link), and 3M PPD on RTX3060 (2.2M in the link). Maybe it's the worst scenario; I'm not sure.
Anyway, replacing 1080Ti with something as low as RTX3060 has a point only if you are 100% sure you will run it 24/7 for a year+. If you will keep folding for 8h/day, then there is no point investing in anything. I don't know the real reason why you can't run it 24/7, but this is why I suggested RTX4070/Super, as it has lower wattage, lower heat, and is a high PPD card, which, if well set, is nearly silent. I don't know what the market for 2nd hand RTX4070 looks like.

I could be wrong, but I see it this way:
RTX3060 ~150W
RTX3070 ~200W with lowered TDP, ~250W stock
RTX3080 ~250W, but PPD like a regular RTX4070
RTX4070 ~200W, but can lower it to ~150W without a significant PPD loss
RX7800XT/7900GRE/7900XT/7900XTX ~250-350W, so no matter how you compare, it's worse than Nvidia at a similar price
RX6800XT 250W and results like a RTX3070; RX6900XT a bit better but high wattage
RTX4060 seems pretty good for the wattage - it can be set at about 130W, and it should make ~4M PPD

Right now as you all know I am folding with 2 1080TIS. I was thinking about taking one of them out and replace it with this.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-28 142719.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-28 142719.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 4
Well, we've been over this already in other posts, but have you looked at that PPD database you've been linked to (as late as yesterday)? That's where I would start. :)

Well, we've been over this already in other posts, but have you looked at that PPD database you've been linked to (as late as yesterday)? That's where I would start. :)
I did look it up and the work units will be around 300K+.Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread.

I did look it up and the work units will be around 300K+.Sorry about putting this in the wrong thread.
So then, think about it........................ is the 300K PPD worth it over your 1080 Ti that gets, what, 6x more???

EDIT: Glad I checked. Not sure what in the world you're reading, but according to that PPD database, the 3050 produces about 1.4M PPD while the 1080Ti is listed at 1.7M PPD. The 3050 uses considerably less power (70W vs 250W).

So then, think about it........................ is the 300K PPD worth it over your 1080 Ti that gets, what, 6x more???

EDIT: Glad I checked. Not sure what in the world you're reading, but according to that PPD database, the 3050 produces about 1.4M PPD while the 1080Ti is listed at 1.7M PPD. The 3050 uses considerably less power (70W vs 250W).
So, what should I use that is in the $200 range?
Post magically merged:

What about this?

Last edited:
So, what should I use that is in the $200 range?
None? Finish your gaming build big boy! :rofl:

Being serious, I think your other thread already gave you plenty of ideas. I'll merge (yet another :sly:) thread covering the same subject so you can more easily see the information you've discussed already to help make an informed decision.

I'm not entirely sure you can increase PPD for your $200 budget with a NEW card. The used market is a different story.

That said, I'll leave it to the real experts to help out... but, please look at previous posts as plenty of advice was handed out over this question just yesterday.

None? Finish your gaming build big boy! :rofl:

Being serious, I think your other thread already gave you plenty of ideas. I'll merge (yet another :sly:) thread covering the same subject so you can more easily see the information you've discussed already to help make an informed decision.

I'm not entirely sure you can increase PPD for your $200 budget with a NEW card. The used market is a different story.

That said, I'll leave it to the real experts to help out... but, please look at previous posts as plenty of advice was handed out over this question just yesterday.
Look up^^^^:)

The 2070 does more PPD then 1 1080TI and that price you can't beat it.
You made me look...

$90 for an RTX 2070???!!!!!??? If you look on eBay, the cheapest one sold recently was over double that @ $190 (most well over $200). Still want to risk your extremely limited budget on something that's 'too good to be true'? I've never heard of that website before and have no idea if it's legit or not.

If it was me, like Woomack already mentioned in this thread, maybe sell the 1080 Ti's and get one higher-end better card instead of meager upgrades because you're so horny for PPD you can't see the forest through the trees. :)

You made me look...

$90 for an RTX 2070???!!!!!??? If you look on eBay, the cheapest one sold recently was over double that @ $190 (most well over $200). Still want to risk your extremely limited budget on something that's 'too good to be true'? I've never heard of that website before and have no idea if it's legit or not.

If it was me, like Woomack already mentioned in this thread, maybe sell the 1080 Ti's and get one higher-end better card instead of meager upgrades because you're so horny for PPD you can't see the forest through the trees. :)
You do have a very good point. Thank you.:)
Post magically merged:

This gets more PPD than a 1080 TI.

You do have a very good point. Thank you.:)
Post magically merged:

This gets more PPD than a 1080 TI.

We appreciate your enthusiasm but your just as appreciated for whatever PPD you put out. Don't over extend yourself.:grouphug:

Look at the trials and tribulations Whitehawk has to go through just to try to keep up with me...:chair::clap:

Last edited:
I have found the card I am going to buy to replace one of my 1080 tis.I am going to get off of Ebay a PNY GeForce RTX2080Ti Blower GPU 11GB GDDR6 4352 CUDA 1545MHz PCIe3x16 250W for $289.90 + free shipping. I will have the money next month and that should give my PPD a big bump.
Post magically merged:

Cool beans! Are you able to see a PPD increase from the change? What about power use?

Unlike overclocking for gaming where generally higher GPU and memory clocks rule, I think there's a finesse to overclocking your cards for F@H. Someone with more knowledge, please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought with some cards, F@H responds more to memory overclocks with negligible increases to power use (unlike overclocking the GPU where power use tends to increase more, especially if you added voltage in your overclocking)...

...something to think about moving forward when you're tweaking for PPD efficiency too. :)
Power use maxes out at 285 watts each.

Back