• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Folding for team 32 prevents me from gaming. Help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yamiyanazz

Yeah. I want to be able to play games on my system too. I know I said I started folding a while ago, but that was back when my PC wasn't broken...I was at like 97%, then crash, and lost everything. I'm starting up again today. Here are a few questions.

1) What client should I be using? The one with a GUI or just Text Based?

2) Would there be an easy way to make the gear not show up in the task bar and stuff so I can put it on my parent's 1.7 Celeron without them knowing?

3) How do I set it to fully utilize both processors. (Barton and Celeron)

4) How do I make it so I can play games for longer than 5 seconds before it minimises while folding?

Thanks everyone, and I hope to be folding for team 32 shortly!

Okay, I want to get you folding too and gaming away. What is your complete specs of BOTH systems including Operating Systems, video cards PSU, etc?

If you're using the GUI, some people have reported problems with video compatability. The first thing to do is switch to the text console. I game, encode, burn, etc. all with folding running.

If they run Windows 98 I also know a way to install folding completely stealthily and I can dig up the post that explains it. There is NOTHING shown that lets you know it's installed or running unless you Ctrl-Alt-Del which will of course show you Winfah and Fahcore_78 and it folds right on the C: drive so no C:/fah or anything.

EDIT: Here's the deal

If you want the folding stealthed on Win98, you have to use the graphical client from stanford. Download it and install it, then take the Winfah file and move it to the C: drive and create a shortcut to it and copy the Target line.
then run REGEDIT then
Click on the + for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
then the + for Software
then the + for Microsoft
then the + for Windows
then the + for current version
then click on RunServices
then right click on the right side and click New String Value
Name it FAH (or what ever you want)
Then right click the string and click Modify
Then use the "target" from the shortcut you had setup above with the flags and then close REGEDIT.

You can now uninstall the real stanford install. The first time you restart the computer after this before the windows login comes up the graphical install process will come up and you enter your User name team number and all the other info asked for and then that's it. All the logs and files are in C: You never see anything having to do with folding again on there. Completely STEALTHED ON WINDOWS 98

Last edited:
Fast420A said:
Okay, I want to get you folding too and gaming away. What is your complete specs of BOTH systems including Operating Systems, video cards PSU, etc?

Okay. My computer is in my sig.

As for my mother's computer...it's an eMachines T1740.
As far as I know....
1.7 Celly
Windows XP Home
256 DDR2100
40GB HDD 5400rpm
"AGP" Shared on-board 32mb Intel Extreme Graphics
on board sound.
It is also set up to run 2 multiple users, so I want to make sure to hit both of them with this process...preferrably both of them crunching the same numbers.

Thank you.

Quailane said:

Is there a way for XP? Or is it just like running as a service using the one-click install?

Wedo's one-click installs FAH as a service. The only signs of it working are under the "Processes" tab of the Windows Task Manager. Otherwise, it's totally stealth.

Back