• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

folding slowly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ray44420

Today I installed the client on two boxes at work. These machines are old K6-2s used for office duties. The first one (550mhz) grabbed a 182 and will be busy for a while. The second one (300mhz!) received a villin to work on. How slow is it? The first frame took 90 minutes. Is anyone else running a really slow box like this one? I can't be the only one...

Those K6's are lousy folders with their weak FPU's. Make sure that 300 Mhz will even turn the unit in on time. My PII 400 Mhz goes through units in a decent time, but like I said the K6's are pretty weak. Every CPU counts though, don't waste cycles!

-Rav

I have a P172 villin on a p3 550 doing frames at around 13mins 53secs. Don't know if that is the same villin as yours or not. If other work is being done on the pc that can also slow your frame times down significantly.

I wouldn't call them exactly lousy, but they're not the fastest. The 300 might give you problems but the 550 should be able to do a big P180 or 182 every 4 or 5 days. The P160s take 2 or 3 on my 400, so figure 5 on the 300.

my 450 is doing a P160 villin at about 45mins a frame, and P180s and P182s are taking 90mins a frame. It's possible that there were one or two larger frames at the begining of the unit, sometimes seems to happen, since 90 mins sounds a little long for a 550 on a 182 or a 300 on a 160.

For non-gromacs work, a K6 Mhz is equal to a P4 Mhz! :D I dunno whether that says P4s suck or K6-2s rock.

I think they'll get you about 10-15 points a week between them on average. If the 300 misses many deadlines, you should try switching it to get just genome@home work which now counts towards the scores, this is a little easier on the CPU with smaller units and more generous timeouts.

Road Warrior

I have 2-K6-x+ machines folding for Team 32 and they aren't the fastest folders, but will turn out around 10 points/week or so. They are both running @ 550 mhz.

Frame time dropped to 40 minutes. At this rate the WU should run about 66 hours. Z-Z-Z-Z-Z. I imagine it will chug along for another 48 hours...

Do those boxen run 24/7?

Even 'tho they're slow, if they make the deadlines, keep 'em folding! :D

EDIT: forgot to mention ... we have a sub-team called "Yatta" that's for slow boxen. You might check it out.

Back