• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For a little bit of nostalgia, a REAL CYBER DEAL. $209 X850XT PE PCI-e

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
sam, you are the guru of silver paste. I won't argue with you if you say geil sells some under their name that you find to be misrepresented.
But does that mean that all geil products are heretofore necessarily bad? Does this mean that we can no longer buy dell because they tried to cover up their server boards cathing on fire? Shuttle because thier nforce3 baords killed many people's A64's? Or OCZ because they had a subcontracted party deliver non-silver silver paste with their name? Or that awful, awful heatsink of theirs? It appears to me that geil's paste is in fact this stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100302

as it is what I got for free from them with the ram. It is labeled here as masscool and sells for a whopping $1.99. And if you look in the description of it, you see "Color:silver" but it does not actually purport to be silver particle paste. Maybe geil's did, and that is why you are mad at them. Good. Glad to have someone looking out for us, since that indeed isn't the type of thing one wants to let a company get away with for long. But methinks you are pretty quick to jump your guns,telling people to steer clear of an entire product range, especially when it is quite possible that geil did not know it was not selling thermal paste, much like OCZ? If Geil is just finding out now and is not taking the very high road that OCZ did, then shame on them - but I am hardly about to abandon their products based on a $1.99 tube of paste.

Intel seems to have major problems telling the truth about their cpu's - I guess those arre out the door too? Ati has stiffed us on cards and baords for around six months, so is anything based on their tech is verboten?

Your comments about the chips on the ram I still cannot figure out. Firstly, you are calling it a speech, as though I am pulling this info out of an orifice. Not only are they advertised as BH-5 in the title of the product at Newegg, but they exhibit EXACTLY the specifications of the new bh-5 chips, results which no other chips in the world can match. You come to the conclusion that a paste is silver by running tests on it - well the tests I have run on this stuff scream BH-5 from every rooftop. If they tried to swap chips for something else, it just would not work - can you name another IC that will do cas1.5 at 2.6v ddr400? as well as DDR500 cas2-2-2? And up the the DDR540 plus I am seeing at 2-2-2? Ch-5 can't, TCCD either. Not BH-6 from years ago even. And frankly whether they are BH5 or not does not matter - if I pry off the spreader and find hot pink chips with the barbie logo, I will still have ddr540 chips, and that does matter. Requiring them to say "bh-5" on them would be like saying a racing strip on a honda makes it go faster. You also must know that the new BH-5 is a blank IC, like most IC's these days, and I would pop off the spreader and either find blankness of a geil logo. Most ram comanies are even smoothiing over the twin dimples that used to give away winbond, mushkin for example. Not to mention that you are borking the warranty when you take that spreader off.
It just seems like a swipe you wanted get in on Geil, when you suggest that they are not chips that every overclocker worth his salt can identify from results alone. Show me DD1 700mhz and I'll have TCCD or TCC5 out of my mouth before you even get to the timings or voltage.

Now if you would like to say "geil misrepresents thier thermal paste and I will not buy their BH-5 until they come clean", I would not agree with that statement, but it would be far form a misleading statement. Saying that I might not have BH-5 chips is a misleading statement. And also misses the point.

sam, let me also point out that I mean you no disrespect. You have proven yourself an advocate of the little guy around here, and people SHOULD listen to what you have to say, as it is in their best interests. If I take you to task a little, it is because all those people should and do listen to you. Don't be too cross with me. I have a lot I can offer this community as well, even if what I say is given nowhere near the same consideration as what you say. We both want the best for everyone - that is why I posted the deals, and why you vett all posted deals. Cheers my man. Know that I appreciate what you do.

__TRONIK__ said:
It appears to me that geil's paste is in fact this stuff

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835100302

as it is what I got for free from them with the ram. It is labeled here as masscool and sells for a whopping $1.99. And if you look in the description of it, you see "Color:silver" but it does not actually purport to be silver particle paste.

Now if you would like to say "geil misrepresents thier thermal paste and I will not buy their BH-5 until they come clean", I would not agree with that statement, but it would be far form a misleading statement. Saying that I might not have BH-5 chips is a misleading statement. And also misses the point.

Thats not their paste,

This is me commenting on this crap: (I believe Newegg after I spoke to them pulled the product)

----------->Click on this link to read why I have to say http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=3459908#post3459908 <-------------

35-126-002-01.JPG

Click on this picture below and you will see it clearly states 5% silver, These are pictures I took, and pictures of Geil paste I purchased

Geil.jpg

This opinion does not reflect this site nor their respective owners or staff, but is my opinion Bottom line is I do not trust Geil for TIM's or for memory and if you want to do business with a shady manufacturer, more power to you.

PS that paste you linked to is the notorious Stars thermal paste, Stars is a key player in the bogus Silver paste situation, you make a lot of TIMs and many claim to have silver in them, NONE of them do. As far as comparing OCZ to Geil, thats absurd, OCZ rectified the problem and fully cooperated, GEIL plays deaf dumb and stupid.

Don't get me wrong, I thought the Video card deal you posted was a decent deal. Just Geil is on my %^&* list at the moment. If they want to come off it, they can start by either talking to me, or sueing me for Slander, but I bite and don't roll over when I am threatened by being sued. I do not point fingers unless I know what I am saying is fact and my bark is backed up by my bite. ;)

nice deal. A friend of mine would be interested in this if he hadn't totalted his car... I'm tempted to pick one up, but I don't even have a use for it...

__TRONIK__ said:
Silversink! I am surprised at you!

Your statement is pretty off base in a couple regards.

Questioning the man himself? :shrug: :bang head

Tony420 said:
Questioning the man himself? :shrug: :bang head
Just because someone has power doesn't mean that you shouldn't question them.

I'm begining to wonder how many companies are on SSS's blacklist... First arctic cooling, now Geil :D

Vulcan said:
Just because someone has power doesn't mean that you shouldn't question them.

I'm begining to wonder how many companies are on SSS's blacklist... First arctic cooling, now Geil :D

vulcan, what happened to your x850xt u bought not too long ago?

blarf said:
vulcan, what happened to your x850xt u bought not too long ago?
I sold it on ebay and got a 7800GT as a replacement. Mainly because it performs a good bit better in BF2 and I'll always have the option of SLI in the future. The 7800GT also gives me a good bit more overclocking oportunity.

I want the card :( but they dont ship to canada :( anyone wanna get it for me and ill paypal them the cash :)then i wouldnt have to pay brokage fees :)

Well I bit the bullet on this one. Now I need to switch over the s939. Gonna pick me up a refurb Asus A8N SLI and Opteron 144.

Good find! Now I just need to get an excellent cooling solution for the card - not water though. Its for a build for my brother. Trying to keep it simple for him.

I'll post back about how the flash goes.

So the card is Crossfire compatible. Does that mean it will also run in SLI on an nf4 board? As far as I understand, Crossfire is ATIs version of SLI.

Krusty said:
So the card is Crossfire compatible. Does that mean it will also run in SLI on an nf4 board? As far as I understand, Crossfire is ATIs version of SLI.

No, it will not run in SLI on a NF4 board. Crossfire and SLI are ATI and Nvidia's dual graphics card solutions, but they are not compatible with eachother, i.e. you can't run Crossfire on an SLI board.

sandrock said:
No, it will not run in SLI on a NF4 board. Crossfire and SLI are ATI and Nvidia's dual graphics card solutions, but they are not compatible with eachother, i.e. you can't run Crossfire on an SLI board.

so does this mean that you can not run 2 ATI cards in SLI on an nf4 board and you can not run 2 Nvidia cards in Crossfire on a Crossfire board?

That sounds like kind of a dumb marketing scheme. You can't run 2 ATI cards on an Nvidia motherboard.

__TRONIK__ said:
and to answer a couple questions, no, this will not be agp. you can get it nowhere else but sapphire.

RADEON X800 GTO Specifications

RADEON X800 GTO
400MHz Engine Clock
Memory Clock Speeds of 490MHz (256MB version),350MHz (128MB version)
FireBlade Edition offers possible memory clock speeds north of 560MHz (depending on system conditions)
256-bit memory interface
Available in 256MB or 128MB models
PCI Express / AGP (Standard 256MB X800 GTO)
VGA + TV out + DVI
2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz (VGA)
1024 x 768 (TV out

Taken from http://www.sapphiretech.com/en/products/graphics_specifications.php?gpid=119

It seems to me that the agp version just hasn't been released yet...i assume. When was this card initially released?

Sorry, you are a bit mistaken. There will be an agp version, but only the GTO2 (note the (2) at the end is the x850xt in disguise. All other gto cards use a different core than the gto2. though I have heard a tale or two of the connectg3d cards unlocking, I would stick with the gto2, which to my knowledge is still a 100% success rate.

So again, as far as anyone knows, there is no unlockable gto anywhere or even coming.

caveat emptor

Well this is friggin crap...Guess i'll have to pay the extra $ for a x800pro vivo and mod that.

I'm havin a helluva time finding a powercolor or connect3d version tho.(a cheap one at least)

So any members here successful with this mod that received it yet?

Back