• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For everyone who has ever heard of using a BILGE PUMP, look here.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PC Guy

Registered
I have been on a water-cooling quest for quite a while now. It recently occurred to me that I could, in theory, use a bilge pump as a cheap water pump. I was ever so proud of myself when I picked up a 500GPH Attwood 12V 1.4A bilge pump at Wal-Mart for $9.96 (US). After getting home with this pump, I thought, "hey, what if this thing won't cut it or it runs out after two months? after all, it only has a rated 1500hour life.". This really depressed me. Then I came here today and saw that so many people have had my very same idea but have discussed it before I the idea even hit me. I have seen all the posts about bilge pumps and it seems that nobody here is confident with these things. Well, let me ask you something. Has anyone here ever heard of Overclock-Watercool.com? Unfortunately, they had to shut down because of, ironically, a flood. Anyhow, something about my new bilge pump seemed a little familiar. So it hit me--I had seen this pump before! Where? Where else? Overclock-Watercool.com! So I went back to this site and found THIS. Please pay attention to their 500GPH pump. Know what that is? Yes, it is a regular, plain old Attwood V500--the EXACT same bilge pump I just bought and several of you have considered. Please also look towards the bottom of that page. It says they are "heavily modified" versions of the regular bilge pumps. You know what? The only modificatons were adjusted inlets and outlets and a jacked up price! You may say, "you don't know that! that's just your opinion!". Well, you would be wrong. I spoke with Chip Eckert himself, the owner of OCWC, who verified what I just revealed to you. So I'm gonna take my trusty Attwood, put some new inlets and outlets on it, and make that bad boy the pump for my super-cooled system! And you knowwhat? You don't even have you put new inlets and outlets on it! You can just use it as a submersible pump! I hope this little story is helpful to many of you cooling enthusiasts.
THANK YOU

The only thing that scared me away froma bilge was the 1500hour life. A bilge has a regular dc motor and a seal at the shaft to keep water out. If the seal dies the pump will shortly die. I havn't heard of anyone wearing out a bilge but I was to scared to keep using one. Right now I am going to use a relay on my ac pump so it will turn on as I turn the computer on. Mag-Drive pumps will last a very very long time since they have only a moving impeler/magnet assembly. There is basically nothing to go wrong in a Mag-Drive pump accept for the bearing surface which is usually made of long lasting ceramic. If I were you I would keep the bilge but watch it carefully.

believe me, i will watch this closely
it was the $10 pricetag and the 500gph rating that ariginally drew me to it
the event that sealed the deal though, was when i realized that an appraised and trusted water cooling enthusiasts' store was selling this thing
i'll keep all of you posted on this issue

PC Guy said:
believe me, i will watch this closely
it was the $10 pricetag and the 500gph rating that ariginally drew me to it
the event that sealed the deal though, was when i realized that an appraised and trusted water cooling enthusiasts' store was selling this thing
i'll keep all of you posted on this issue

"Appraised and trusted"???? From what I read from www.procooling.com a lot of people lost money from that place. Not to mention that they started another site just to throw people off so that they will buy their products.

yeah, i read that
but i think procooling blew that out of proportion
i know Chip, he's a good man
before this all went to hell, he had a great thing going
several retailers sold his stuff
he has and still is refunding everybody's money who didn't get their stuff and he's still fulfilling orders that have been placed
he's not satan, as procooling makes him seem
he just got screwed by a flood
besides, web sites have used his pumps in their own water-cooled systems

I don't know nothing bout procooling other than what I Read they had to say over there.

and I don't know nothing bout this chip guy..

but I do think it was blown out of proportion too..

anyways...I am gonna watch my pump carefully too...

wish I knew how to build a relay...( stupid look)..

I hate anythign having to do with soldering wires and junk when it comes to my PSU and all that crap.

PC Guy,,,, I found the ATTWOOD at Walmart also. I bought it and built my water cooled system. I used an outdoor grey plastic electrical junction box for the reservoir, a 6x6x4 inch box with lid and seal. I put the pump inside and used barb fittings out the top to get water out and in.
If your interested Ill send pics.
I also put a rheostat control on mine to slow it down. I wanted to know if that would improve cooling. Ill say it does. I reduced the flow and my cooling went down 6*C. Just by slowing down the pump. Im at 16.5 * C. This is awsome.
good luck with yours.

I bought one of those attwood bildge pumps from walmart today. I'm having a bit of trouble converting the output to fit a 3/8 hose without a few fittings. This takes up too much space. Any suggestions or pics would be appreciated.

Thanx,
the new guy

if any of you are still worried about the life time of the pumps then get two and put then in a push- pull layout - like in the koolance case and it will still cost less then a normal pump

I haven't started using it yet, but here is what I did with my attwood bilge pump. I used 2 barb fittings on the lid. One for water coming in and one for a fill line. The output fitting was put straight through the side of the container and I used a ton of plastic epoxy and plumbers goop to seal it all up. When I ordered my dangerden waterblock, I ordered a 5/8" to 1/2" converter and the silicon tubing slid right over the nozzle perfectly.

PC Guy said:
yeah, i read that
but i think procooling blew that out of proportion
i know Chip, he's a good man
before this all went to hell, he had a great thing going
several retailers sold his stuff
he has and still is refunding everybody's money who didn't get their stuff and he's still fulfilling orders that have been placed
he's not satan, as procooling makes him seem
he just got screwed by a flood
besides, web sites have used his pumps in their own water-cooled systems

I read some good thing about Chip too, I guess running a business is not his game. Doesn't he run it by himself? Maybe he should just try selling his stuff throught retailer. Just my 2 cents.

Regardless of whether it was "blown out of proportion" or not, starting a fake "review site" that consistently gives your products great reviews is not a very honest way of doing business. Last I heard, the only flood was of refund requests. His site closed because of the scandal that ensued from ProCooling exposing Chip.
Peace
John

*very stupid look*

ok...everyone keeps answering plumbing questions....

but for the love of god can people tell me how they have their pumps wired - and what they wired it to and how they did it ?

:confused:

It's just sitting on my desk.....looking at me and laughing - cause I don't know this stuff....

:(

Neco said:
*very stupid look*

ok...everyone keeps answering plumbing questions....

but for the love of god can people tell me how they have their pumps wired - and what they wired it to and how they did it ?

:confused:

It's just sitting on my desk.....looking at me and laughing - cause I don't know this stuff....

:(

okey dokey:

there should be two wires, a black one and a yellow one. the yellow one is the 12V line and the black is ground.

treat the pump like wiring a fan. get a 4pin molex connector like the ones on fans that connect to the powersupply and wire it up the same way

..I'm a retard where can I buy one ?

lol... I was thinking that I needed to do this but I wasn't sure.

Also my wires are black and brown... I'm assuming the brown is "yellow"

Also, when I modded my radiator fan for 7volts I noticed that these wires have some sort of "pin" on them to stick into the molex... would the molex come with those ?

I'm not afraid to solder something like that at least, but it looks to me like I'm heading in the right direction now.

:beer:

Back