• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fps issues in new build intel

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Utroligt

Registered
Hi Overclockers!

I seem to have some issues with my build, the fps im getting is not as expected, I am aware that i have little to no ram here, however im am never using it all.

At the moment im playing a lot of league of legends and this system should be more than enough for it to run on max settings, i however seem to get some mad fps drops when we start teamfighting(a lot of particles and things to process), and id like to know how i can make it a fluent game all the way through? The average fps is 150, but during teamfights, it drops to 15/30 fps. lagging.

So, here is my setup so far.

i5 4670k 3.4ghz OC to 3.9
4gb 1600 mhz Corsair xms ram, running at 1600 not 1333
60GB Kingston ssd 6gb/s
Msi z87 GD65 Gaming motherboard
Msi GTX 760 Twin frozr 2GB OC
Coolermaster Seidon water cooling, swapped original fan out with a high performance 12cm viper 83 cfm fan

People suspect me of having bad internet, i have 200mb fiber
So system stays under 60 degrees celcius at all times, even during hot load.
Used Occt for cpu testing, cpu never rose above 80 degrees at stress test, for 30 minutes.

My own suspicion is that my cpu is bottlenecking the information, but the i5 is not a weak processor. so please, enlighten me!

If images from cpuz is needed, i will post later.

Thanks for reading

the only thing I could think that would be bottle necking league is your ram. but 4gb should be enough. what are your cpu and gpu usages in game

the only thing I could think that would be bottle necking league is your ram. but 4gb should be enough. what are your cpu and gpu usages in game

thanks for replying, my cpu and gpu reading vary, when playing in teamfights, Gpu can peak to about 92% at absolute max, the Cpu hits 90 % on one or two cores, but it is very rarely. i noticed when monitoring, the 3rd and 4th core are working more than the others. In the Intel extreme tuning app, i ran a short stress test for 5 mins, and it passed.

I will upgrade my ram next month to 8 gb G.skill sniper ram to see if it will have an impact

have you tried overclocking your gpu or cpu and seeing if that impacts performance?

have you tried overclocking your gpu or cpu and seeing if that impacts performance?

I overclocked the cpu to 4.2, which inevitably made the system bluescreen, i now found the sweet spot of 3.9, where it runs stable and i see less lagg in game, i however too set down the graphics a notch, from very high, to high.
I will try to overclock my card later today to see if i can get an improvement.
But msi afterburner seems a bit dodgy to me.

would it make sense to upgrade to a i7 4770k?
it might be my graphics card too, if i should upgrade, what is best for my situation? HD7990, r9 290x or GTX 780?

no, the 4770k would not be a good upgrade. your gfx card would be a much better performance jump. I'd grab a 770,280x you dont need any of those cards for 1080p LoL

no, the 4770k would not be a good upgrade. your gfx card would be a much better performance jump. I'd grab a 770,280x you dont need any of those cards for 1080p LoL

Hmm, i see. thanks for the input.

I am playing planet side 2 as well, im not only playing league.
What i originally was going for was a machine that could eat any game you threw at it. But then money stops you at the end of the month ;)

why the 280x or the 770?

Its not much of a difference from my current card

Hmm, i see. thanks for the input.

I am playing planet side 2 as well, im not only playing league.
What i originally was going for was a machine that could eat any game you threw at it. But then money stops you at the end of the month ;)

why the 280x or the 770?

Its not much of a difference from my current card

I was just saying if you did want to get a new card that'd be ok. personally I'd get 8gb ram and see. if that doesn't fix it then I'd upgrade my gpu, (a 780/ti would be nice or a 290/x but it's not necessary)

I was just saying if you did want to get a new card that'd be ok. personally I'd get 8gb ram and see. if that doesn't fix it then I'd upgrade my gpu, (a 780/ti would be nice or a 290/x but it's not necessary)

Aha, i will give the ram a go, and if they dont help me out, i will give the GPU an upgrade, thank you for your help, i hope you have a nice day! :thup:

Aha, i will give the ram a go, and if they dont help me out, i will give the GPU an upgrade, thank you for your help, i hope you have a nice day! :thup:

4:33am here haha, but I'll try to have a nice night. hope it works out for you.

Which slot is your graphics card in. Make sure it is the X16 slot not the X8 slot. If it is the wrong slot you will not get the throughput on the PCI bus.

Which slot is your graphics card in. Make sure it is the X16 slot not the X8 slot. If it is the wrong slot you will not get the throughput on the PCI bus.

The GPU is in the first PCI slot, closest to the processor, how would i determine if its the correct slot?

I have that same card the Twin Frozr and it screams. I usually don't even overclock it for benchmarks because the card seems to do a better job than I can. Is there anything in the BIOS related to the PCI lanes? Speed up; slow down; etc. I can't imagine that card being slow frame rate. I'll keep thinking. What does GPU-Z say about texture fillrate; Bus width; Bandwidth; Clocks; etc.

I have that same card the Twin Frozr and it screams. I usually don't even overclock it for benchmarks because the card seems to do a better job than I can. Is there anything in the BIOS related to the PCI lanes? Speed up; slow down; etc. I can't imagine that card being slow frame rate. I'll keep thinking.

Maybe, my "bios a" failed on me, left me with no boot, it could be the bios, ill see if i can figure something out. Maybe see if i can unlock it somehow.

Thanks for the insight, you might be on to something.. hmm..

I have that same card the Twin Frozr and it screams. I usually don't even overclock it for benchmarks because the card seems to do a better job than I can. Is there anything in the BIOS related to the PCI lanes? Speed up; slow down; etc. I can't imagine that card being slow frame rate. I'll keep thinking. What does GPU-Z say about texture fillrate; Bus width; Bandwidth; Clocks; etc.

The bios setting for PCI is running on auto, so it should configure itself. I will upgrade the ram in 14 days and see if anything improves.

Utroligt, I do not think your issue lies in the Cpu or Gpu. League of legends is a fairly lightweight game. Looking at benchmarks for LOL even an Athlon II processor with a GTX 650ti is getting 102 avg fps at 1650x1050 resolution at high detail settings. A I5-3550 with a 650 ti at 1920x1080 high detail settings avg fps 131. I would trouble shoot the OS and see what programs are running in the background, virus, adware etc... Look at your ram usage maybe there is something in the background using up your available ram. Is it possible the the issue is the servers you're playing on? I know that sometimes when I'm gaming on a server that my ping isn't great on I will have fps drops or lag issues.

LoL is lightweight but my personal experience is that LoL can use 6 of my 8Gb of ram after just one match at ultra 1080p. I really think that he may just be overusing his alloted ram and loading the particles is causing lag.

BUT mandrake you bring up great points I would be worried about my os, and other software running in the background.

Back