• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Front panel USB and Card reader question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Demon of Elru

Registered
Hey guys! I just recently bought an all in one fron panel for my new x299 build. According to the motherboard manual (ASRock Fatal1ty i9 gaming XE) each USB 2.0 header supports 2 ports for a total of 4 ports. On the back of the front panel the only plug for the USB and Card readers is a 9 pin USB 2.0 connector. The front panel has 4 USB 2.0 ports, card readers, audio jacks, 2 USB 3.0 and eSATA. Do I need a splitter to use all 4 ports and card readers or will the unit work fine plugged into just the one USB 2.0 header? For reference this is what I am using.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBTPGBL/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the front panel has four usb 2.0 ports and only one USB 2.0 cable then I assume that one cable fees all four USB 2.0 ports on the front panel plus the card reader. It is a "powered" hub so that bodes well.

Aright so I went ahead and hooked everything up, the card readers, USB 3.0 and eSATA work fine, the 4 USB 2.0 ports do not work. Windows does not recognize them.

Could be defective. Do an RMA with Amazon or reach out to the Amazon partner who sold it. Does it need a driver? Are you sure it is compatible with the version of Windows you are using?

I am actually communicating with the vendor. If we can't fix it I'll have to RMA. Will keep you posted.

Back