• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 8320E

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2 1

2 questions....

Is My Voltage Too High?...

I Ran Prime95 Small FFT 10Hrs Max Temp 53C Im Running A Closed Pre-Loop Water Cooling Setup, Am In A Safe Limit I Overclocked To 4.35 ghz But Windows Game Me The Blue Screen Of Death... 4.2ghz Runs But Prime95 Doesn't Allow Me To Run All 8 Workers Only 7 I Don't Know Why..

2823wit.png.jpg
2yo985j.png.jpg

Last edited:
1. Your voltage is well within the safe limits.

2. Your socket temp (maxed at 76c) is about 5c higher than we normally like. That CAN cause instability, but there's only one way to find out if that was why. Place a fan blowing directly onto the back of the motherboard at the cpu socket. While your at it if you have an extra fan place one blowing on your vrm heatsink. These MSI boards do a terrible job managing voltages (=extra heat).

Thanks for the info , I'll pick up some more fans on Friday black and red theme .. I have to do a push and pull fan configuration like my old case

Are you using some sort of overclocking program? Why is the FSB at 191 Mhz, Ht link at 2292? Can we see a memory and spd tab screen shot also. Prime 95 Small FFT stresses mainly the Cpu, the Ram may be causing the issue also.

Welcome to OCF...

...here is the specific format including some bios settings and a windows power manager setting that need or are best done when going toward max overclock "with" stability and allowing us by the screenies you capture and post...a look at your rig from miles away.

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

RGone...

Temps at 76c and voltage at 1.3v implies a problem of cooling (lacking quality or improper mount). I would address that first.

Are you using some sort of overclocking program? Why is the FSB at 191 Mhz, Ht link at 2292? Can we see a memory and spd tab screen shot also. Prime 95 Small FFT stresses mainly the Cpu, the Ram may be causing the issue also.

I'm trying to get the max multipler before I tweak the FSB.

I've already provided Temps and spd and memory is the only other thing I forgot

- - - Updated - - -

Temps at 76c and voltage at 1.3v implies a problem of cooling (lacking quality or improper mount). I would address that first.

Corsair case I just need some case fans

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm trying to get the max multipler before I tweak the FSB.
The FSB is already tweaked, for some reason it is at 191 when it should be at 200. Did you change it or use an overclocking program? Seeing the information that RGone noted will go a long way in helping us help you. Information is the only way we can help you from the other side of the internet.

Additionally being specific about hardware is also helpful. Corsair case only tells us it's a Corsair, but not what model or how many fans.

Overclocking increases heat especially when using these Fx 8xxx chips. Getting as much airflow through the case is very important. What closed loop are you using? Going to water cooling is a good start but it does also cause some problems, that are easily fixed. When one uses H2O for cooling you decrease the Air flow that would normally be flowing over the section that feeds the Cpu, it's needed power. What most of us here do to help that situation is out fans directly on the heatsinks of the motherboard. This will help drop your socket temps.

We will be more able to help you when all the information needed is answered.

Ive Got the
Corsair Spec 01 Case
8gb G.Skill Ripjaws
8320e Black Edition
Lepra Aquachanger 120
850 watt Viotek Power Supply
120 SSD By Kingston
1tb hhd Toshiba

I tweaked the fsb (191) to get a higher multipler

10z0dtw.png.jpg

I upped the fsb a little more so far I haven't raised the volts I ran prime over night and just powered up the pc a few minutes ago so as it stands the same temp 57c - under 100% load

Thanks for the info.

The FSB at 200 isn't going to be a limiting factor. You are also decreasing the speed of the Ht Link, Nb Freq and Ram while doing so. If you haven't raised the volts but are leaving it on Auto it's likely the board will be raising it to compensate for the increase demand from the cpu under load. If you show the top of Hwmonitor we would be able to see exactly how high the volts are going under load. My suggestion would be to set the Fsb back to 200 and then set the Cpu Voltage manually. Once you post what the voltage is doing under load, we can figure out where to set it. Then just raise the multiplier and test, rinse and repeat.

Also what RGone posted. It's much easier to read if you do snips of the individual windows instead of a full screen snip.

2 1 you really should find out what that 89c is. If that's your socket temp like I think it is you in the danger zone. Touch your HSF retainer plate behind your MB under load. You'll know for sure if it's that at that temp.

I'm back at bios the bios read outs are cpu 42c and motherboard is 40c I haven't added any cooling and my vcore is at +0.015 cpu-nb volts 0.010

So what is the problem??

...From this image there is n0 problem and you should carry on with your computering. You don't want to use 200FSB which is normal for most people but not a problem nor a normal method of tweaking. That cpu has multpliers that are easily used to raise cpu speed and 'still' maintain the other 3 affected busses in their specific speed ranges.

But tweak as oddly as most of us may think, but the temps as shown in the image you gave us as below are okay. Enjoy some computering.

RGone...

10z0dtw.png.jpg

I'm back at bios the bios read outs are cpu 42c and motherboard is 40c I haven't added any cooling and my vcore is at +0.015 cpu-nb volts 0.010
The BIOS reads 42c when under load or when just at idle in the BIOS? I feel at least finding out what the 89c temp is before pushing further would be wise. If it the Nb temp it's not a big deal but if it's the socket under load then it definitely is too hot.

I only asked if my voltage was too high, and secondly I asked if my temperature was an issue I think 53c under heavy 100% load for 10 hours is fine that 42c was just after a solid 1hour Prime95 Blend Test. next week on Friday ill add another 4-120 mm case fans including one more to setup a push/pull fan setup

- - - Updated - - -

thanks for all the information,my computer is at a 4.13 ghz im running prime95 right now its about 51-54c max

I only asked if my voltage was too high, and secondly I asked if my temperature was an issue I think 53c under heavy 100% load for 10 hours is fine that 42c was just after a solid 1hour Prime95 Blend Test. next week on Friday ill add another 4-120 mm case fans including one more to setup a push/pull fan setup

thanks for all the information,my computer is at a 4.13 ghz im running prime95 right now its about 51-54c max

2 1, keep in mind that we are trying to help you from across the internet. The questions you ask are not as easy to answer as yes or no. Just asking if your voltage is to high again isn't as easy as yes or no. No, 1.296 Cpu V is not too high, but if the 89 C temp we say in the above HWmonitor pic was your socket temperature then yes your voltage, would have been too high. You saying that you saw a 42c temperture in the BIOS which is most likely the reading off of the Socket area of the chip. If so, after 1 hour of Prime 95 tells us that the 89 c TMPIN1 temp we see in HWmonitor is likely the NB temperature, which is high but not alarming. Putting a fan on this area will help cool it down to more reasonable temps.

All said and done if you're happy with the way it is, then enjoy it as is.

OK I'll try this again. Here's what I read from this pic 2 1. There are definite red flags and green flags. You certainly can ignore them if you wish. You've been around a while and understand the risks involved.

21.png

Red flag #1 - Running an FX8xxx on an MSI 970-gaming board. Certainly not impossible, but definitely not ideal. These 6 & 8 core chips are WELL documented to produce excessive heat in the VRM and Sockets, especially in the MSI boards.

Red Flag #2 - You mentioned your MB temp in BIOS was 42c. In the pic the min is 45c and the Max is 89c. This leads me to believe that the MB(socket) is booting at 45c(nice) and under load increasing to 89c(not nice). It's my opinion that this is pushing to hard and at a bare minimum deserves further tests to verify whether it's the socket or VRM. In either case I would put direct cooling on that area as it's been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Red Flag #3 - Your CPU fan is only spinning up to 38% at full load. For me I'd have it set to or near 100% while stressing. This isn't a completely negative flag as a simple adjustment in your BIOS should improve overall cooling.

Green Flag #1 - 1.296v vCore. Nice and low. Should be easy to keep things nice and cool with this low of voltage.

Green Flag #2 - Package temp of 53c under full load with the fans at 38% and only 1.296v is very nice to see.

Now you mentioned you are adding additional case fans. That's good but keep in mind if you don't have air blowing DIRECTLY onto these high temp areas (socket and/or VRM) than it's not going to be as effective as it could be.

I truly wish you the best with your overclock and hope you address these concerns I've laid out.

Back