• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-9590 stability issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If that's what you want to blame it on. :shrug:
There have been many many successful stable OC's on both the R1.0 and R2.0 Sabertooth boards, over 5 gig also. Compatibility is not your issue.
Probably heat related would be my guess.

I agree with Scotty, I've had my chip a lot higher then 5.0 on my Sabertooth without issue. That said if you want to spend the money for a Crosshair V Formula, do so, it's a great board but overkill in most cases.

I agree with Scotty, I've had my chip a lot higher then 5.0 on my Sabertooth without issue. That said if you want to spend the money for a Crosshair V Formula, do so, it's a great board but overkill in most cases.

But even the CHV-Z or the Giga 990FXA UD7 will not "just work" with that AiO cooler SecretCombo has doing the cooling. I hate it that AMD sells those combo FX-9590 with that particular AiO cooler when most of us know it will not cool enough, but they do and TigerDirect does and then sells that weak arse M5A97 R2.0 for an FX-9590.

Every last one of us that spoke to SecretCombo stressed greatly that the FX-9590 needed some really good cooling. He did nOt hear that part but only the part about him needing to get a board capable of powering the FX-9590 and did not think his boxed with CPU AiO cooler could let him down. Well they are surely borderline and I don't care if AMD sells it with the FX-9590. All of us hear BS and hype nearly every day that a commercial runs on TV or a politician opens his mouth. The shame is in believing the BS and hype all too often.

Nothing we can do now. Secret Combo did not bring the new problem for help but only wanted to diss the helpers for not doing their homework. Well that is BS as well.

RGone...skisterzzzzzzzzz

Please qualify your answers in the future with a little more research please...

Gotta be kidding me right??

Post 4 what did I say? Like high voltage needs good custom loop.

Showed you Pstates, voltage requirements and even a high clock screen shot with special liquid cooling that runs cooler than ambient.

The R1.0 does not officially support that chip BUT so far from the research we've done, the R1.0 DOES work with this processor. Mr. Scotty is pure proof of that. R2.0 has a bios all laid out for fully official support.

In the end, most of us have been there and done it already with just about every FX cpu line out there on mulitple motherboards good bad and ugly ones too.

We would never steer you in the wrong direction, you had the answer within the first page, perhaps you should go back and research your very own thread a little and you'll see the answers you need right out in the open....

On top of that, there are threads with people using this cpu and own the top of the line motherboard and have issues..... it was plain and simple to find the answer.... GET BETTER COOLING.

As far as overclocking this one goes.... it's a 5ghz chip out of the box. Your not going to gain some massive amount of performance unless you start chilling the cpu with a bucket of ice water or colder.

Use as intended, don't overclock it. You'll never know the difference and it'll run stable and happy and cool and quiet and all that shiet.

If that's what you want to blame it on. :shrug:
There have been many many successful stable OC's on both the R1.0 and R2.0 Sabertooth boards, over 5 gig also. Compatibility is not your issue.

Pretty sure the R2 is on the 9590 compatible board list. In fact many people have 9590's in first gen boards and are happily chugging away.

Hey everybody, just bumping this thread one more time to somewhat give closure to my stability issues...

First and foremost, the ASUS Sabertooth R2.0 IS NOT compatible with the AMD FX 9590, as it is a 220 W cpu and the sabertooth is only certified for 140 W.

I got the mobo off amazon, and once I realized that the computer was still unstable BECAUSE of the Sabertooth, I had already exceeded the returns period and am short $170 addition dollars...

Compared to a lot of you I am quite a noob at anything hardware related, however, now I have learned the hard way to spend more time researching the different aspects of compatibility with computer components (I.E. cpu wattage in addition to socket size). Please qualify your answers in the future with a little more research please...

This post is a joke correct? You are trying very hard to show how much of a noob you really are because your research is obviously in error. You insulted people who tried very hard to help you. Not to mention just how knowledgeable these guys are. To top it off you still couldn't get your rig stable with arguably the best board you can buy.

sabertooth990fxcpusupport.JPG
sure looks like its on the supported cpu list to me!
just is in need of better cooling, as has been said by a number of people here already, a number of times.

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, this was not my intention... I've just been really bummed out that my computer is still locking up... The reason behind my "do a little more research next time" statement is because the motherboard is simply not made for CPUs needing 220w, it allows up to 140w max. From my perspective, that's like trying to fit a gallon of water in a little milk carton.

http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/products/exdesc8461.html (fifth line down, says 140w cpus)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-9590.html (towards the bottom, says it requires 220w)

However, after reviewing this thread and judging the confidence and information I've been given, it sounds like this doesn't matter as long as I have a good water cooling system and set voltages right.
If you can forgive me, I'd like to ask a few more questions...
What cooling system would you guys recommend? Do I need to adjust the volts on my Sabertooth? If so, what would work? Is a 700w PSU powerful enough, or should I get a bigger one?
Thanks ahead of time

It would help if we knew what you had already, the best AIO on the market right no is the swiftec H220x and the cooler the better. Lockups could be ram as well it's really hard to say but one thing I do know is I have taken an 8350 that loved it's volts over 5.5 on a Sabertooth R2. Pretty sure I was putting out over 220W more than once. The board may be listed as 140W but before the FX-9xxx I can't recall any board needing a TDP like that. If you need some help we need info so a signature listing your parts would be more than helpful. And a good description of what you're experiencing.

What case do you have, I'm curious about airflow and what setting are you running for the system CPU,NB speed memory etc.

Corsair Graphite Series 230T CC-9011038-WW Mid Tower Case 4x 3.5" / 3x 5.25" Bays, 7x Expansion Slots, 6x Fan Slots, Orange

Add the case in use to Signature...

...and where fans and W/Cooler radiator are mounted in your post itself.

Now questions:
Is this the W/cooling setup that came in box with your FX-9590?
CoolerMaster Seidon 120XL with dual fans. Said by some to be shipping with later REtail boxed FX-9590s with W/cooling.

Early FX-9590s were said to use this cooler made up for AMD.

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 << It was said that originally the FX-9590s with W/cooling shipped with this cooler or so very similar. You can tell it by the circular mounting brackets seen on right side of the page on down a litlle bit.

RGone...

radiator for the liquid cooling system (that came with the fx 9590 in the same box) is near the top. The fans on the front are sucking in air, and the fans on the top are blowing out

In post above I gave links and asked which of the two W/coolers is "Most" like the one you got with FX-9590 since that is VERY important.

RGone...

I'm sorry if I insulted anyone, this was not my intention... I've just been really bummed out that my computer is still locking up... The reason behind my "do a little more research next time" statement is because the motherboard is simply not made for CPUs needing 220w, it allows up to 140w max. From my perspective, that's like trying to fit a gallon of water in a little milk carton.

http://www.cougar-extreme.co.uk/products/exdesc8461.html (fifth line down, says 140w cpus)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series FX-9590.html (towards the bottom, says it requires 220w)

You want to know why that says 140 watts? That page was made before the 9590 and 9370, the 220 watt cpu's came onto the market. 220 watt cpu's didn't even exist. The page was never updated to reflect this. I certainly would have looked at the obvious sources to check for compatibility. ASUS and AMD. Certainly not Cougar Extreme. Another thing that only takes common sense is this- when an 8 core cpu is overclocked to 5 GHz it basically is a 220 watt cpu. And people have been doing those clocks on Saberkitty's since Gen 1.

radiator for the liquid cooling system (that came with the fx 9590 in the same box) is near the top. The fans on the front are sucking in air, and the fans on the top are blowing out

With a custom loop (120.2 rads 8 fans) can hardly handle the FX-9590. So what we might try and call "overclocking" isn't really overclocking gaining a "maybe" 200mhz with a solid stable OC and NO turbo active just under 1.5v. THIS will eventually hang as it's under-volted to try and maintain a temperature. So technically, it's not going to be a stable processor by any real means, you'll find this out by merely running a stability test, or rather try too....

But into cooling that cuts it..... There isn't any. It's at max clocks already. The turbo 5ghz is hard to compete with. You'll NEVER see this chip running 5ghz without spending BIG amounts of money on expensive hardware that CAN do the job, we are talking an easy 300 dollar water cooling set up.

For an average user, this chip is built to use "AS IS". I have a custom loop, pretty much garage built home brew with a modded ThermalTake block from back in the s939 AM2 days. It's hardly adequate, but I like it. Has served me well up until this FX-9590 purchase.

FX-9590 and Formula-z Are built for high end clocks and high, super high voltage, and super extreme cooling. This type of set up is going to be totally awesome for an individual who knows his way around SS cooling (Single Stage) and Cascade (Multiple Stage) Cooling.

For a person totally and completely serious about overclocking a daily rig would go the SS route obtaining roughly -40c temperatures and Over 6ghz daily clocks for gaming editing and so on.

I mean if you look back through this thread, It took almost all of 1.7volts just to hit 5600mhz with some usability.

A draw on PSU? 700w gonna be enough? Shrimpzter would beg to differ. Wattage is only a single powers but when it comes to a load, the Amps need to be there.

If you where to actually try and overclock the single handed fastest most expensive chip, you should also intend to spend the moneys on the most expensive motherboard, RAM, and PSU.

Fans pull a dirty draw on 12v Rails. People say to use MORE fans for cooling, lest we forget we take away from the 12v CPU line at the same time. So really some research in power supplies is a total must, RAM being less important, but you figure something Cas 11 and your running 1200mhz (DDR-3 2400) All day like no ones business.

Now, I haven't used my daily rig for LN2. I did however bench test this rig with sub ambient cooling, but nothing under 40f. Tap to Drain liquid cooling.... Well then you can get about 5.1 - 5.2ghz stable for a good deal of time and enjoy an actual overclock. 100 - 200mhz with daily liquid is actually hardly worth the time "trying" to cool this beast.

Hopefully you've read this entire post. I know most people quick read skipping words and stuff..... I think you could read it twice as there are hidden secrets being laid out here in front of you.

My opinion on the Sabor-T vs Formula-Z is simple...... You wouldn't consider the Sabor for the FX-9590 cause you got the monies for the biggest chip.... you got the moneys for the biggest board. They kinda go together, and if not mistaken, intentionally.

If you really really really want to overclock and have loads of fun doing it, find an FX-8300 or 8310. You take either of these chips and your running a mere 3.3ghz and 3.4ghz on only 1.1v stock all 8 cores. Then this badd-asss chip hits 1000mhz OC like nothing around 1.35v-1.40v give or take and it's a complete gas!! You can use a really low bin chip like this to find Reference clock max speeds on motherboards. THAT is also a total gas!! So now your looking at "REAL" overclocking vs buying the biggest badest fastest chip on the market with no head room. My brothers x6 s1366 ( I think thats the right socket 1366?) Intel chip is the same way. No OC headroom, just slammed with super high temps all the time. BUT he doesn't "NEED" to overclock it. It's already super fast.

When comparing your STOCK FX-9590, try running Cinebench R15 64 bit. Look where it places vs the rest of the AMD chips in the 8 series. It should be a good indicator when you see you place between a i7 3770K and a i7 4770K. Pure epeen in a box. And technically, if Intel didn't have HT on these chips, It's likely as quads there's no comparison.

Just sux this up as lesson learned, even if you buy a better board and PSU, it's just fine at stock with the power savings enabled. This chip has the capacity to raise your electric bill.

ShimpsOnRimsRollingOut - PEACE!

Last edited:
Yes SORRO...

...but we still have to see if we can bring Secret Combo into some sort of equilibrium as we have since the FX-9590s release. Some had to buy up to at least the level of the Sabertooth and most everyone had to get 'more' cooling but they still managed to get use out of the cpu. Poor buy for sure but you say yours runs powerfully when left to its' own devices...we got to get this user to enough cool and power to run as AMD designed and then he will be rokken along better than today.

RGone...

Back