• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming computer advice for new build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
While I agree with the advice to go with a dual fan, do be cautious that you're not spending so much that you could easily be stepping up to a RTX 2060 or RX5700 price point. For example in the US market the EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 1660Ti is a great deal at $249 with a 2 fan cooler. On the other hand the 3 fan Strix card for $329 is firmly planted in RTX2060 and RX5700 territory and would be annihilated by a card costing only $20 more.

While I agree with the advice to go with a dual fan, do be cautious that you're not spending so much that you could easily be stepping up to a RTX 2060 or RX5700 price point. For example in the US market the EVGA XC Ultra Gaming 1660Ti is a great deal at $249 with a 2 fan cooler. On the other hand the 3 fan Strix card for $329 is firmly planted in RTX2060 and RX5700 territory and would be annihilated by a card costing only $20 more.

The Zotac I mentioned is one of the cheaper ones in the UK, £259.97, while dual-fan RTX 2060s start at £319.76 and RTX 2060 Supers start at £379.99. The £60 difference between the GTX 1660 Ti and the standard RTX 2060 equates to $73 US. Whether the 2060 is worth the extra $73 is up to the buyer. And BTW, the single-fan blower RX 5700 is also £319.97, so the same £60/$73 delta.

The Zotac I mentioned is one of the cheaper ones in the UK, £259.97, while dual-fan RTX 2060s start at £319.76 and RTX 2060 Supers start at £379.99. The £60 difference between the GTX 1660 Ti and the standard RTX 2060 equates to $73 US. Whether the 2060 is worth the extra $73 is up to the buyer. And BTW, the single-fan blower RX 5700 is also £319.97, so the same £60/$73 delta.
Thanks dave.
So the list I put up with work together alright? Were gonna get the parts ordered tomorrow. Partspicker says a conflict between MB and the cpu not supporting unless bios update?

Thanks dave.
So the list I put up with work together alright? Were gonna get the parts ordered tomorrow. Partspicker says a conflict between MB and the cpu not supporting unless bios update?

Yep, I see that may or may not be a problem. Getting a motherboard such as the ASRock B365M Phantom Gaming 4, will guarantee compatibility right out of the box. It has the updated B365 chipset, and their support page claims support for the i5-9400F right out of the box.

Thanks again dave. I've swapped out the board for the asrock and will get them ordered today.
Appreciate your time in helping.

BTW, I have an i5-9400F and single-fan EVGA 1660 Ti in a small mini ITX box as shown in my sig. So I ran 3DMark Time Spy, which has both GPU, CPU, and GPU+CPU benches so you get a good idea of how temps run in a gaming rig, as opposed to running Prime95. So, my system scored 6589 and the CPU with Intel HS/Fan hit 74C max and the 1660 Ti hit 73C max.

BTW, I have an i5-9400F and single-fan EVGA 1660 Ti in a small mini ITX box as shown in my sig. So I ran 3DMark Time Spy, which has both GPU, CPU, and GPU+CPU benches so you get a good idea of how temps run in a gaming rig, as opposed to running Prime95. So, my system scored 6589 and the CPU with Intel HS/Fan hit 74C max and the 1660 Ti hit 73C max.
I like this idea, but you should loop it so it runs for at least 15 mins so the heatsinks can 'saturate'. Though I've found 3DMark, even looping is a couple of C lower since there are small breaks between every test..it can take a bit longer to reach my gaming temps.

I like this idea, but you should loop it so it runs for at least 15 mins so the heatsinks can 'saturate'. Though I've found 3DMark, even looping is a couple of C lower since there are small breaks between every test..it can take a bit longer to reach my gaming temps.

While you're certainly correct about this, IMO the temps are low enough for plenty of headroom. I've run the 1660 Ti gaming for extended periods and the GPU temp only got to 76C IIRC. TBH I wasn't paying attention to the CPU temp, but that seems to vary more rather than slowly migrate upward as with a torture test like Prime95.

Back