• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming/light design/programming rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The Revelation

Registered
Ok, first, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize. I read through the descriptions and couldn't really find a better place for it. If this IS the wrong place, please move/delete it.

Now....

I'm a designer/programmer. It's been what I do to make a living for the past 5 years. Any games I played, were on an old AMD 1GHz T-bird, with a GF2 MX. Since I'm getting more and more clients, I have more and more money to spend on PC parts/my cars. It's time to build a gaming/general task machine.

After scouring the forums for the past few days, I've come up with a part list below. I don't want to go apesh*t here, I just want something that will run games extremely well, and have a decent life expectancy (i.e. not need to upgrade in 6 months).

Here's what I have in mind:

P4 2.53/2.8 - after price drop from 3.06 release
ABit IT7 Max - Good board, pretty sure it has RAID (correct me if I'm wrong)
512MB Corsair XMS3200
Albatron Ti4200 Turbo - bang/buck
SB 5.1 - any better cards out there? will be used with a Pioneer 5.1 receiver
Lite On 40x 12x 48x Black CD-R - Flash firmware to 48x
Lite On 16x Black DVD - movies/etc
Mitsumi FDD
2 WD800JB 80GB 8MB cache - RAID 0
ViewSonic E90f - around 230$, 19"
Case/PS up in the air

All in all it's around 1400$~ depending on case/ps and cpu.

That's the price range I'm looking to stay in. I know I'll hear a 9700 comment, but remember, semi-budget. I don't need a 17k 3DMark score, 11-12 would be nice.

I might do some light OC'ing, but I don't plan on going crazy... yet. I'd like to just have some decent speed, enough to get me through next years games, at least.

So, what do you all think?

Last edited:
I am on a budget too and this is wut it looks like the limit for 1400w/ shipping is (mine was with WC).

From Tufshop.com
Combo: Athlon XP 2400+ & Abit AT7-MAX2 (same baord athlon)

From ?
512 Corsair CL2 PC3200

From directron.com
Chieftec Aluminum Dragon any color window optional (door)
350W PS?
Albatron GeForce4 ti4200
Audigy X-Gamer
SLK 800 ?
Smart fan 2 ?
2 WD800JB raid wutever you want
Round cables
48x12x50 Aopen CD-RW
16x DVD?
use ur old FDD

um tell me wut i missed

Back