• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 3 or Geforce2 Ultra?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geobronc

Hi, I have decisions to make. Wait a month or so and get a Geforce3, or get a Geforce2 Ultra now.

I have a 15" Monitor, but its a bigger display then most and is a .25 flat display. I run games in 800x600 and also some in 1024 x768.

I am very much into eye candy and frame rates together for most games I play such as Air Warrior3, Rogue Spear urban ops, Need for Speed 5, Tribes 2.

See my signature for current PC setup.

Thanks!
Geobronc

Depends, me personally, I think that getting a GF2U now then gettin a GF3 in a year or so is pointless. So I say that if you are going to forsure be getting a GF3 later on, either hold out till then, or go ahead and get it now.

[Oc]asmodean (Jun 04, 2001 04:04 p.m.):
Yes, get the GF3. Why buy outdated technology if you can afford the newer generation?

You called G2 Ultra outdated technology ??? hehe

If you can afford G3 get it. If no get G2 Ultra... But believe me G2 Ultra produces PLANTY of EYE candy Graphics.. I have G2Ultra and I can run EVERY game at 1600x1200 with all setting set to the MAX. ... and I mean EVERY game... Until Doom 3 probably but than I will have G3 ULTRA or G4 or whatever the HOTTEST card is.

Wait 'till you see Nascar 4 with all settings to the MAx and 43 cars infront or back........

I am thinking about buying the Leadtek Geforce GTS pro with 64 megs of DDR ram. How does it compare to the Ultra when it comes to frame rates when overclocked?

Go for the GF 3. The difference in price isn't that big and the gf3 will outperformance the GF2 ultra, Big time, in future games.

Get a Geforce2 Ultra. You said you play games in no more than 1024x768. Trust me, I have a geforce3 and it sucks at lower resolutions but is awesome past 1024x768.

I also think that the geforce3's drivers are seriously beta and buggy. Save your money and get an ultra or a good pro card.

You were right, I bought the Gf3 and will be RETURNING IT!! I am going to get the GF2 Ultra instead. The GF3 Drivers suck! And it isnt that fast in the resolution I run my Monitor in 800x600 and 1024x768.
Dont get me wrong, the graphics look good, but they look no better to me than my current card, GF2 GTS 32mb. I think the GF2 Ultra will give me more frame rates, which I want to run Tribes 2 and will give the quality in drivers I need to support current games I play such as Need for Speed 5, Air Warrior3, Tribes2, and Rogue Spear.

Plus the GF2 Ultra is only $280 vs $399 !

GEOBRONC

Geobronc (Jun 05, 2001 06:49 p.m.):
You were right, I bought the Gf3 and will be RETURNING IT!! I am going to get the GF2 Ultra instead. The GF3 Drivers suck! And it isnt that fast in the resolution I run my Monitor in 800x600 and 1024x768.
Dont get me wrong, the graphics look good, but they look no better to me than my current card, GF2 GTS 32mb. I think the GF2 Ultra will give me more frame rates, which I want to run Tribes 2 and will give the quality in drivers I need to support current games I play such as Need for Speed 5, Air Warrior3, Tribes2, and Rogue Spear.

GEOBRONC

Are you mad LOL. Why not just wait a while until better drivers are released !!!
I'll take the GeForce 3 every time it's not that much more expensive than a GF2 ultra. After all most of the cost of the card is the 64Mb of 3.8 ns DDR RAM (this is why you won't see GF2 ultras dropping in price much)

DO NOT RETURN THE CARD!

Put some anti-aliasing on, that'll make the games look much better. And don't run in some crappy 16-bit modes, they suck.

I run always in 32-bits, if possible. Even with this MX. If it doesn't run well in 1024x768x32, I'll drop the resolution before going 16-bits.

And yes, GF2 Ultra beats GF3 in 16-bit modes (1024x768 and down), according to the benches I've seen.

Geforce 3 or Geforce2 Ultra? HELP!! PLEASE ANSWER TODAY!

I havent returned it yet, was going to today.

The reason I was going to return it was due to the bad looking graphics in "Need for Speed". The Graphics make the text look at splintered and blurry. I dont know why it looks like this. Other than that, I didnt see that the game looked that much better then with my GF2 card. What should I choose for Anti-aliasing? 2x2 4x4 or let the game dictate it setting?

I guess I still need advice from you all.
I can afford the card, but not sure if its worth another $100 to play games at 800x600 or 1024x768. I have a 15" .25 flatscreen Monitor and cannot afford to get a new monitor and a new card.

HELP!!

Yo, anyone seen Asus's V8200 run? damn that is fast and looks nice too! Comp store around here has it on show and it whoops the V7700 sitting next to it (both are on 17" monitors, I set game res to 1240x1024, or whatever it is) i hear its (V8200) supposed to be faster then the earilier released GF3s because Asus didnt work from nvidia reference card but designed their own.

Happy hunting! (Land warrior LAN rules!)

Geobronc get a 19" or bigger monitor now with your
GF2.
Save your money for a few months and get a sub $250 geforce 3 card then. They are already talking NV25 by Christmas so the release news on this will also drive down prices more.

there is nothing out now that needs a GF3 and your GF2 is still better than most.

Good point, that NV25.

For the anti-aliasing, go 2x2 Quincux, almost the same as 4x4 Normal, but at 1/4 calculations.

I wish they'd implement a real supersampling someday soon, using a dedicated ?PU.

OK, Decided to keep the GF3.
Getting 5745 3Dmark 2001 points!
Nice !!

And the graphics look a little better with the new 12.41 drivers.

Thanks!

if i were you and you dont plan on upgrading for a year or 2 id buy th gf2 ultra (and buy a hercules) you may spend another 50$ more or 100$ more but its worth it i think they are the best they come with a orb ramsinks and everything on them if your getting a GF3 i suggest either hercules or the elsa has a nice GF3 also

ive been buying nvidias eversince they started and now im starting to look at radeons they got alot nicer picture quality i guess the radeon 64mb ddr is nice it has a lcd flatscreen hookup on it and tv out (that actually works alot of nvidias dont work at all) and then its only like 180$ or so us compared to 250 to 450$ for a nvidia you wont get the fps but you will get good pic quality with a radeon

Froggy (Jun 04, 2001 08:30 p.m.):
The GTS Pro OC should be almost equal to the Ultra!
ive got a hercules prophet 2 ultra oced it outperforms the Gf3 in 3dmark2k on my p3 933(which will make my score a little bit lower) i was hitting over 8000 when i had it tweaked

and the Gf3 by the time they come out with games thatl actually need that (they are comming out with one that i know of this year tho) well anyways by the time they come out with more games for the GF3 they will have something better then the gf3 for them thats why i think its a waste if you dont plan on upgrading

Geobronc (Jun 05, 2001 06:49 p.m.):

GEOBRONC

Nope, you won't see any increase in FPS in Tribes 2 with either the Ultra or the GF3. Tribes 2 is not graphics card limited. You're wasting a lot of money for no obvious gain. I'd suggest just sticking with your GF2 GTS for the time being. The only thing the GF3 will do for you in T2 is allow you to run with Anisotropic filtering and FSAA. Both very cool features (anisotropic is better than FSAA though), but not worth $350.

Back