• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school OCer looking to upgrade 1070 and monitor (smooth/high fps required)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vixro

Hey friends! I haven't been active on this forum in years but it was my go-to whenever I needed information for getting the most out of my money. Since the late 90's I've overclocked my PC for maximum frame-rate with price:performance always in mind. I'm back for a little help!!! :) I want to squeeze every last ounce of power out of the new upgrade, so overclocking is REQUIRED. Most of my internet searches these days take me to paid review websites and sponsored links. Rarely dealing with extreme OCing (if any) and seem to be geared towards the generic consumer now. :cry:

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor to a 144hz monitor and move my 1440p 60hz Acer to replace my secondary monitor. The best possible color is preferred, though I know going IPS could cost me some extra dough or increase response time (YUCK). I don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks extra in this regard, as I will likely have this monitor as my main for another 2+ years. But keeping in mind that fluid movements and reflex gaming are extremely important to me and the most important.

I play games at 1440p, and generally with higher settings, but not always ultra if I can get a better view of my enemies and quicker response time with lower settings. e.g I hate bloom lighting and HDR, as well as most shadows unless it gives me an advantage to see enemies quicker or around corners. Think pretty but uniform and quick. You can't 180° reflex headshot somebody without high FPS, so that's my biggest requirement!!! My 1070 has done me well for a very long time! Before that I used an Nvidia 460 for a long time too! (till I knocked 32oz of water over the top of my tower and the only thing I lost in the disaster was the 460)

Current Games: Borderlands 3, PUBG, Battlefield 5
Upcoming Games: COD:MW 2019, fun shooters, some RPGs.
Previous favorites: every shooter ever made

---

What I'm trying to do:

Sell my i7-8700k (mild OC 4.6ghz) for an i9-9900k to OC further with more cores/threads. I can do this for about a $100-$150 swing AFAIK.

Upgrade my monitor to a 144hz 1440p gaming monitor with great color.
- Any information is helpful here as my monitor knowledge is YEARS old.

Sell my overclocked EVGA Nvidia 1070 and either pick up my friends used 1080 ti, or perhaps buy a used 2080 if I can score a decent deal on Ebay or wait for a black Friday deal. Thinking I can get about $175-$200 for the 1070. May be able to score the 1080ti from my friend for like $400 when he upgrades to a 2080ti this week.

Other things I'm considering:

New RGB RAM to compliment my clear Corsair case for looks that is still zip fast, tight, and overclockable.

My friends 1080ti is founders edition and I would definitely need to change the cooler cause that is loud and is ugly AF.

P.S.

My signature is up to date with my current rig. My budget is higher than it was when I was a teenager. I'm value conscious but not price conscious.

ALL ADVICE IS HELPFUL IF YOU HAVE A BETTER IDEA FOR MY MONEY

Last edited:
For 1440p high Hz gaming at mostly Ultra, I would look no less than a 2070 Super. Since you hold onto cards for a while, I would look at a 2080 Super.

Im a performance first and bling last type of person so all my cash would go into the monitor and GPU for now. The 9900K isn't going to yield much at the higher res anyway.

You might spend a little more for a "gsync" instead of "gsync compatible" monitor (the former is hardware based), but since you talk about a high level of competitive gaming, I think it might be worth the extra expense. You're paying for a guarantee that it will just work (at least with nVidia cards).

I agree with EarthDog on the 2070 Super as well. It uses the same GPU as a 2080 (TU104), but has a few shaders disabled. You might have to look for a few reviews, but I would not be surprised if you could coerce a 2070 Super into running similar clocks to the 2080, but its not something I've read up on.

Can you push the 8700K a bit and close the frequency gap? I don't know if you're seeing games that really need more than 6 cores yet, I haven't but I'm not playing the same titles. If I had this system I would wait for Intel to stop milking 14nm and get something that is substantially better. Can your 8700k hit 5GHz with a delid? You did mention an interest in "extreme" overclocking ;)

Can you push the 8700K a bit and close the frequency gap? I don't know if you're seeing games that really need more than 6 cores yet, I haven't but I'm not playing the same titles. If I had this system I would wait for Intel to stop milking 14nm and get something that is substantially better. Can your 8700k hit 5GHz with a delid? You did mention an interest in "extreme" overclocking ;)

Delidding is actually pretty easy. I had a horrible i7-8700K and was able to run it at 5 GHz 24/7 after delidding it.

It's pretty extreme for most to overclock, let alone take a hammer or use the tool on your CPU and glue that thing back on with better paste. I'd call that extreme for the average user and many enthusiasts, LOL! :)

For 1440p high Hz gaming at mostly Ultra, I would look no less than a 2070 Super. Since you hold onto cards for a while, I would look at a 2080 Super.

Im a performance first and bling last type of person so all my cash would go into the monitor and GPU for now. The 9900K isn't going to yield much at the higher res anyway.

I dumped the i9-9900k idea after looking at gaming benchmarks more thoroughly. I haven't even remotely pushed this 8700k far enough yet. I've run it at 5ghz stock voltage without a delid for a couple of benches, but dialed it back. I'd be more than comfortable attempting the delid, I just never have done it before! I just noticed I had my RAM underclocked :confused: (and have it at XMP settings now) , what the hell have I been doing????

:rain::rain::rain:

Instead of spending a lot of money to drive 1440p 144Hz you could save a lot and go with the monitor I have ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-sync compatible $310.00. With 1920x1080p you will gain 30-50 FPS to reduce monition blur when sweeping the mouse. Monitor Link: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824236942 and RTX 2070 25% FPS performance upgrade from GTX 1070.

There is a new 1920x1080p IPS 240Hz Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF for $449.99 link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...GIJOyQK9gA0kdQt3jwcaAlQaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

A lot of people feel like the pixel density at 27" 1080p is not adequate. Generally, the guideline is 1080p for 23"-24", 1440p for 27" and 4k for 32" for ideal pixel density.

Sure you can do it, but it is something to keep in mind. You will have noticeably larger pixels at 27" 1080p. If you're okay with that or don't notice, then by all means go for it.

I've seen 1440p 27" monitors in person to compare 1080p 27" and everyone I show the difference say they can hardly tell the difference including me. The loss of about 30-50 FPS from going to 1440p from 1080p is not worth it. I'm a high FPS gamer for reducing blur from fast mouse sweeping and I want to step up to 200-240 FPS. I play competitive gaming with all advantages I can get to win.:D 1920x1080p is IPS, HD at only 27", not like a TV with minimum of 32" only at 1080p or 720p. I use my 27" 1920x1080p IPS monitor for gaming, internet, videos, movies and looks sweet.:)

Last edited:
Instead of spending a lot of money to drive 1440p 144Hz you could save a lot and go with the monitor I have ASUS VG279Q 27" 1920x1080p 144Hz IPS panel G-sync compatible $310.00. With 1920x1080p you will gain 30-50 FPS to reduce monition blur when sweeping the mouse. Monitor Link: https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824236942 and RTX 2070 25% FPS performance upgrade from GTX 1070.

There is a new 1920x1080p IPS 240Hz Alienware 27 Gaming Monitor - AW2720HF for $449.99 link: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...GIJOyQK9gA0kdQt3jwcaAlQaEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

From a value perspective it's not a bad idea but after going from 1080p to 1440p for the last 2 years I've become accustomed to the level of detail that 1440p provides. I'd actually stick with my evga 1070 if I decided to stay at 1080p.

My friend may sell me his 1080ti FE for $300 if I convince him.

A lot of people feel like the pixel density at 27" 1080p is not adequate. Generally, the guideline is 1080p for 23"-24", 1440p for 27" and 4k for 32" for ideal pixel density.

Sure you can do it, but it is something to keep in mind. You will have noticeably larger pixels at 27" 1080p. If you're okay with that or don't notice, then by all means go for it.
Same... I cant downgrade resolution and keep the same 27" size. No way. My kids have a 27" 1080p and 24" monitors while use 2x 27" 2560x1440 and a 28" 4k on another machine. At a desk, I can easily see the image quality difference due to less pixel density. The 24" looks notably better to me pixel density wise at 1080p.

I suggest if the op is considering that move to go look and see for himself. The difference is really obvious to me.

Edit: helps to read the whole thread. Looks like he notices it too... ;)

Last edited:
Starting my first delid tonight (or this morning, at 3am), woohoo! The 8700k is already stable at 4.8ghz but the temps are gross at load. (85-90c).

Tweaked my 1070 as well and got it up to ~1992mhz, but even with voltage it won't let me get 2k+ :screwy:

Taking my friends 1080ti tomorrow for $300 at the promise that I'll help him overclock his 2080ti. Figured this was a hell of a deal!

The 1080ti is beast, big upgrade over the 1070, especially after OCing. 2012mhz GPU 5940mhz mem so far stable.

Looking at the LG 27GL850-B monitor too, as compared to the ASUS. Both sucking in black situations bother me, though it seems the QC on the blacklight seems to be better for the LG.

The 1080ti is beast, big upgrade over the 1070, especially after OCing. 2012mhz GPU 5940mhz mem so far stable.

Looking at the LG 27GL850-B monitor too, as compared to the ASUS. Both sucking in black situations bother me, though it seems the QC on the blacklight seems to be better for the LG.

What ASUS are you comparing to the LG 27GL850-B and where did you read they both sucking in black situations?

What ASUS are you comparing to the LG 27GL850-B and where did you read they both sucking in black situations?

Major reviews (and a plethora on Amazon too) have the Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ (and Q) having major blacklight bleed and having blacks show up as basically grey. This would be a huge turn off for me after spending $500-$600 on a new monitor. I'm excited for the new refresh rate and 100% need to get out of 60hz after playing on my friends MSI 144hz but am not excited about sacrificing image quality for it.

Major reviews (and a plethora on Amazon too) have the Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ (and Q) having major blacklight bleed and having blacks show up as basically grey. This would be a huge turn off for me after spending $500-$600 on a new monitor. I'm excited for the new refresh rate and 100% need to get out of 60hz after playing on my friends MSI 144hz but am not excited about sacrificing image quality for it.

The monitor you have now and the monitors your looking at are all IPS panels, so they will be about the same including back light bleed.

Both monitors your looking have better picture quality then what you have now.

RTINGS.com Reviews.

Acer 25" 1440p 60Hz H257HU LINK: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/acer/g257hu-g7-series

LG 27GL850-B LINK: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gl850-b

Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ LINK: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/asus/rog-swift-pg279qz

The main difference in both the monitors your looking at, is the LG 27GL850-B has G-Sync compatible/Adaptive sync and the Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ has Nvidia/G-Sync 165Hz with Over Clocking no guarantee.

Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 165Hz with Over Clocking.
"After reboot, test the new Max Refresh Rate by enabling it in the NVIDIA
Control Panel. If you don’t see an image, disconnect the DP cable and use the
monitor OSD to try again with a safer Max Refresh Rate." https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/LCD Monitors/PG279/PG279_English.pdf

The LG is on the way, fingers crossed. The $100 price difference helped sway me a bit!

You should be very happy with the LG monitor, that would be the one I would select. I'm looking forward to the release of the LG 27GN750 a 27″ IPS Panel with 1920x1080p and 240Hz Refresh Rate. I'm a competitive gamer and I enjoy having the competitive edge attaining reduced motion blur beyond 144FPS with 144Hz.:)

Last edited:
Back