• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GeForce FX 5200 PCI problems, please help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AeroHawk

Registered
I posted this on another forum, so I'm just going to copy/paste what I wrote, and if you guys have any questions, I'm gonna be here to answer them. So here it is:

ok. so i format my bros comp without the pci video card in (geforce fx 5200), made sure in bios that the default graphics adapter is onboard, and it formats out nicely. now he plays steam games, so he obviously wants to use the geforce card. I stick it in the PCI slot, installed the latest nvidia drivers, went to device manager, disabled the "Intel graphics chip" or whatever it was called (i clicked "do not use this hardware"). restarted, went to bios and made sure the default graphics adapter was on PCI, exited, saved, restarted, and now im looking at another blank black screen.

What. The. ****.

I hate these ****ing systems with onboard ****

can someone please help me cause now, i tried to plug it in the onboard video card, and its ALSO showing a blank black screen.... does this mean I have to format again? or is there a way I can startup maybe in safe mode... ?

any help is GREATLY appreciated

---------------
next post
---------------

ok so I went into safe mode, re-enabled the onboard, so atleast now im seeing SOMETHING, BUT, it's at a REALLY weird resolution, like I can see the entire wallpaper (the default winxp one) but all the icons and **** are on the other side of the screen, where I can't see them. I know they are there too cause I can drag my mouse all the way to the left and it will take me like 1 second to drag it all the way back...

so basically what i'm asking is if I can use JUST the geforce fx 5200.... for gods sake I did it when there was viruses on the damn computer and now I can't on a fresh format, god damnit.

---------------
next post
---------------

update on what i've done: I went back to safe mode, uninstalled the intel graphics driver via device manager, restarted, went to bios selected PCI mode, restarted with the plug in the geforce fx 5200, and i can see the winXP loading screen, but then after that it becomes black

btw, everything is plugged in correctly, and the video card is brand new pretty much... it worked flawlessly before (70 fps HL solid)

-------------------------------

Now, if your asking why I'm using an FX 5200 PCI, it's because my brother bought one of those complete systems by HP, and it doesn't have any AGP slots, but it has onboard video... so recently he got sick of only having 30 fps on CS/DOD/HL/TFC etc. so I tried to look for a decent vid card that would atleast give him 70ish fps, didn't want to get anything online, so I went to staples to purchase that vid card..

any help is *GREATLY* appreciated!

I would try disabling onboard graphic in the BIOS. Install the PCI card. Boot into safe mode and check that the Nvidia drivers are installed. Restart and see if it works.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

David said:
I would try disabling onboard graphic in the BIOS. Install the PCI card. Boot into safe mode and check that the Nvidia drivers are installed. Restart and see if it works.

Good luck and let us know if it works.

Alright dave i'll try that right now brb

Just a footnote to add...fps is also dependent on cpu speed. I used that exact same card on three systems all of differing cpu power, and used the same os and drivers and there was a big difference in performance. I like the card though, I'm using it right now :)

Back