• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting my 2.4 to 3.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xerotheory

Registered
I have a problem overclocking my 2.4 to 3.0.

Im using the ai7 and 2 sticks of kingston hyperx pc4000.

I set gat to auto auto auto dis dis.

And im using Counter Strike Source for stability since im going to be playing it the most. And when i set it to 1:1 at 240 i start getting large triangle flickers, which arent quite like artifacts, but they are spikes and what not. Temp dosen't get to high while in source, around 45-48c.

Ive tried upping my vdimm to 2.8, but that didn't help.

My video card gets to 60-65, but it runs hot by itself, idles 55.

What BIOS settings should i use for the most stability in the overclock. Im waiting for another week till i get my XP90 and a fan.

xerotheory, can you post your system specs ( see my signature) as it will help us try and solve your problems

Thanks
Dave

Lets see

Intel Pentium 4 2.4ghz C (the one with the M0 steepping)
1GB PC4000 Kingston HyperX - in dual channel
Abit AI7 Stock BIOS version
I believe i have a 350 watt psu, but im not sure, but i used an online caluclator and it was fine.
eVGA GeForce FX 5900 stock
1x40gb WD HD
1x80gb WD HD
Windows XP Pro SP2
Chieftech case, with 2 fans, 1 intake on exhaust.

Stock cooling on the proc currently, but with arctic ceramique.

xerotheory, just some thoughts ......

1- Is " Spread Spectrum" disabled?

2- Just to eliminate your memory as the problem have you tried a 4:5 divider?

3- Have you tried to pull out 2 sticks and just run 512 in dual channel . Over on the MSI boards there were a few problems reported when trying to run 1 gig of PC4000 in dual channel when overclocked. It seemed that this cofiguration stresses the northbridge.

4 - Do you know the specs ( amp ratings) on your powersupply especially the 12V rail ( this should be posted on a sticker on the side of the unit)

Dave

I dont believe i saw spread spectrum in my bios.

I checked some forums and it seems like the ai7 dosent have a spread spectrum setting.

Also can someone please help me optimize my bios for overclocking.

K here are my psu specs:

420W

+3.3 = 28a

+5 = 40a

+12 = 18a

-12 = 1.0a

-5 = 1.0 a

UPDATE:

Ok i changed the following

Set divider to 5:4

Set GAT to auto normal auto disabeld siabled

Turned of serial ata support

Updated video card drivers to 67.02

Well it fixed the spikes and triangles appearing at 3ghz, but i hope its not the 5:4 that fixed it because im loosing mem performance, plus my pc4000 is supposed to run at 250 garaunteed.

So one of those is the solution i think.

Last edited:
xerotheory
but i hope its not the 5:4

Set it back to 400 (1:1) and see what happens ?

The new driver might have fixed things

It also might not be the memory , it might be the 1 gig . I have heard problems when trying to overclock when using one gig

Glad that it looks like you might have solved your problem :thup:
Dave

Back