• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting rid of high temps with SLK-800U: Bolting on tight enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What's the big deal? 45 for an overclocked load temp? That's fine.

Not that temps mean anything, anyway, because they are so inaccurate. If it's stable, your temps are fine.

It's not the load temp. 45c diode is the minimum IDLE temp I get. I realize that it's not so bad, but being a member of this forum, you know the feeling as well as I-- good enough just isn't good enough. 45c at 1.75 is ok, but I know that it could be better, and since I know that, I NEED it to be better. ;)

Do you have the four pads that are around your cpu to prevent the core from being crushed??

If so, take then off. I saw a huge temp drop after I did that (bout 8-9c). Just be sure when putting the hs back on not to crush the core.

Aaron Burton said:
It's not the load temp. 45c diode is the minimum IDLE temp I get.
Oh, idle. Hmmm. Well, yeah, it's a little high, but still nothing to be concerned about if it's stable under load. Is it stable under load?

ahhhh, ok. Finally an answer that makes sense. I guess those load temps would limit the overclock.

Now that I'm done annoying you, I'll go away. I'm an Intel boy. :)

If you want to overclock more your going to need to save up your money and build or buy a water cooling system.

The highest you could get out of that CPU with air is around 2.4Ghz and up to 2.6Ghz with water assuming you have a T-Bred

I had similar problems with an slk-800u I bought a few months ago. Even after lapping, adding washers, and reseating many times the temps just weren't reasonable. This machine runs with the case sides off as well. So I ditched it.

Of the three slk-x00 heatsinks I've purchased in the last 6 months, all of them have had deep grooves in the base and haven't given temps any where near the slk-800a I bought a year or so ago. In my experience, the production quality of the slk seems to have deteriorated.

/quote/
Of the three slk-x00 heatsinks I've purchased in the last 6 months, all of them have had deep grooves in the base and haven't given temps any where near the slk-800a I bought a year or so ago. In my experience, the production quality of the slk seems to have deteriorated.
/quote/

It would be nice to see a more informative post with more facts and tests on these "crappily manufactured SLK's"

Back