• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

gigabyte 6870 oc to soc bios flash?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CoSmA

Registered
Hi everyone i had this video card for about 6 months ,very good gpu ,i recently oc`ed it with msi afterburner at about 940 (915 basic) without any voltage modification and i would like to know if i can flash the soc version of the bios to my card .
My card is the oc version.
Same layout same cooler ,same 1gb gddr5 ,i PRESUME/not sure
What do you guys think should i do it ,i mean the are a few changes ,the coreclok is at 950 ,the memory clock is also raised a bit ,and overall it seems a good idea ,but i don`t know .
That`s why i ask here where the old Masters are ;D.

The only reason to flash to another bios is to get some kind of performance gain that isnt easily attainable elsewhere. If you are certain that your card can handle the clocks of the faster bios, and you are able to reflash it if it bricks your card(either dual bios or a secondary card) then there is little danger in trying it.

Why? Why risk flashing a card when software will load your clocks upon windows boot(msi afterburner for example)?

Lol, what supert said. :)

Well at the current bios i can`t modify the voltage to be sure about that 950(i know that it`s not stable with the stock voltage).
As for the rest i saw that the memory clocks are a bit high and i thought that with the bios from the soc (wich is already tested frequencys and voltages) i will attain some stable values,and i can manage the extra heat ,i never go above 70 (tryed furmark for 2 hours)

That is the thing... That soc bios is tested on a different card. Its not the bios that makes it stable, its the core and memory being able to handle it. Also, you may or may not unlock voltage control. If the card doesn't have the hardware to do it, it doesn't matter what bios you use.

That said, have you tried other overclocking programs to see if they can adjust voltage? Some programs just don't have it programmed in for the controller chip. ;)

EarthDog thx alot for ,,opening my eyes`` ,you are right.
I really don`t know any other oc program for gpu ,only riva tuner which is the same with the msi afterburner.
Any suggestions :D ?

sapphire trixx works well enough on my 7950s. If you dont need voltage control you can get moderate overclocks just using catalyst control center.

Edit: or if your card is non reference and you cant adjust the voltage. Which can happen, i had a 4890 like that a ways back.

Back