• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good cooler for i7-2600k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

saint19

Hi guys.

I'm looking for a good cooler to keep my CPU with good temps while I do some bench, this will not be 24/7 so, stability 24/7 isn't important. The rig components are this:

1- ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z/GEN3
2- i7-2600k
3- Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB or Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB both 1600MHz. I have both, so, compatibility isn't a problem
4- NO case

In my country I can find the Hyper 212+, Cooler Master V6GT (which I think is good enough), Thermaltake Frio, MC V8, CM V10 and maybe the Noctua NH-D14 if I have lucky.

What do you think is the best option price/performance for that rig? I know than the NH-D14 is the best of those options, but if the V6GT can keep with good temps the CPU @ ~5GHz-5.2GHz while I do some 3D bench I'd be happy and get the V6GT.

Thanks for the help ;)

The NH-D14 is a beast for quiet long term performance. It is not a great bencher though when you are trying to squeeze every bit out of it because it doesn't respond well to high performing fans. If you are looking for 5ghz+ 3D bench stability, then really any of these coolers should be fine minus the V8 and V10. The Frio and V6 GT are your best bets as they are cheap and have helicopter fans on them. 3d benches don't run the CPU too hot so it shouldn't be a problem getting 5.2ghz. Might want to also look at the Frio OCK cooler, a little more pricey but should be a good benching cooler.

The NH-D14 at its quiet normal will beat the V6, V8, V10 and the Frio. With a Kaze Maru 2 1700 in the center and just about any higher performance fan like the CM R4 as push you can get another 3c better cooling with only moderate noise (BTW -- a San Ace -H1011 is loud).

I'll be posting the numbers soon enough. But if you want great cooling a D14 is far better than the other heatsinks listed. Alternatives are the Phanteks and the TR Silver Arrow.

Back