• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good Heatsink/Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Andy82

Hi i was wondering what hs/f should i get, i am always having to keep the side panel off on my case because my temps are high on my cpu Thanks

what chip? what core revision? what motherboard? are you overclocking? overvolting? we need specs to help, and if keeping the side panel off does that much for your temps, you will also need to upgrade your case airflow

Pretty general consensus on heatsinks these are the best depending on your CPU.

Intel:Thermalright SP-94
AMD: Thermalright SP-97

as for fans it depends on your noise tolerance. I hear the Tornados push a lot of air but sound like blow dryers. Then for balance of noise and CFM's I hear Panflos are great.

Okay Here are my specs they are, AMD Athlon 2400 XP, Kingston PC3200 512mb ram, 120gig hd, Gigabyte GA-7N400-L, GeForce 4 TI4200, and as far as noise i can tolerate it doesnt bother me, i have a switch and that thing is louder than my computer, right now i have just 3 case fans. Thanks

I don't know about the general consensus on Thermalrights being the best, but I have a Vantec Aeroflow that rocks. It lowers my temps from a stock 60°C to a 44°C full load. It works so well in fact, that when I tried to attach a tornado to the Aeroflow using a duct, it actually raised my temps by 3°C. I highly recommend this fan/sink. ( I have AS5 on as well)

Yeah if u don't want to spend alot get a WhisperRockII with a tornado and a fan controller. WRII=$10 Tornado=15 Controller (depending on what u get) =25 So 50 bucks that is cheaper then what u can get an SP-97 4 and u still need a fan.... also like this u will have a fan controller to controll your case fans!! ha ha so when u wnat complete silence trun them all on low and go(ha ha i made a funny!)

SP-97 will not work on the GA-7N400-L board . the board doesnt have the holes to mount it.

i have the same board , and i got a SLK-900A with some Arctic Silcer C. and it works great. you can pick any 92mm fan you want on it which is sweet

Welcome To The Forum !

thanks dead_man311 for the info. on my board that it wont work, do you like that mobo, i have had it for quite some time now and i like it, what is the biggest size heatsink that i can put on that mb without it getting in the way with the capcitors. sorry spelling heh. and anything else that i would need to know about that board thanks, and any other suggestions would be great too. thanks

Back