• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got me a Radiator from advance auto parts,,butt???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pogue1000

Hey there! Well i walked into the parts store today and the pulled out this nice book with all kinda rad's and there sizes.

Someone had gave me one and it was a lil too wide to fit in the top of my pc...so i went off on my journey today.

I found this nice rad that was 5 5/8 wide and probably about 11 inches long.. just what i wanted to mount 2 120mm on top. it had 3/8" tubes, i heated them off, put 3/8" plugs some jbweld and i am set.

Well i didnt think about the length.. When i placed it inside it comes clear back to my power supply , almost making contact.

Could this be a problem? how close it is to my power supply?

also it hovers over my cd-burner i hope this isnt a problem cause 2 120mm fans will be blowing over them.

any comments???

guess long story made short, will there be a problem with my radiator so close to almost touching the vents on front of my psu.

thanks!

oh yeah picked it up for only 19.99

:)

Thanks drdingo21 for the one he let me use, but it wont fit :(

i am sure you will see this :)

My rig is set up in a similar way to what you are saying. I haven't had any problems as of yet. However, my rig hasabout 3/4 of a 5 1/2" bay between the cdrw and the radiator. I used that open spot to put in my digitaldoc.

Anyways, I would think that you need at least an inch of clearance for air to flow through the radiator. If there is less than an inch of space between the cdrw and the radiator, I could see you running into some problems.

As for butting up against the psu, what's the problem there? As long as there is enough room to work, you should be fine. After all, the side of the radiator has no air flowing through it.

pics can be found in the link in my sig.

thanks.. i should be arlight with the space below ... if anything i will put my dvd on top :) for its not as important to me :)

just was concerned with space to the back :)

now time to pull out the dremel and cut a couple 120mm

:) and figure out a way to mount the radiator up to the fans :)

thanks
gonna go look at your set up :)

nice set up.
i just checked it out.

although,, i didnt want to cut the brackets in my case like u did.
looks like we have about the same case, antec.

luckily i got one narrow enough to fit in there.

so should i rig up a shroud?

time to do a search :)

pogue1000 said:

so should i rig up a shroud?

You will get better cooling and better airflow if you set up your radiator to have air pulled out of it with fans through a shroud. When you have fans blowing into the rad, the airflow is in one cylindrical area and only the fins in that area will have air flowing through them. If you set it up to pull, the air simply takes any path it can to get to the fan to be blown out. Adding the shroud gives the air more range of movement to be pulled from the farthest corners of the radiator. With the air being pulled through all the fins possible, there is less resistance to air flow because there are more spaces for air to flow through.

Ok, that explanation makes sense to me at least. Does that adequately explain the idea of the shroud and pulling fans?

Anyways, it is not completely necessary, but a lot of people have seen better temps using similar methods.

Back