• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Greatest games of all time? What are yours?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ultima Online would be by far the greatest in my book. I have never played a game as long as it (almost 4 years). Wwith the original Diablo coming in second, and Battlefield 1942 in a distant third.

Justy303 said:
Boulder Dash (all of them) - Commodore 64
Lode Runner - Commodore 64
Turrican 1 & 2 - Commodore 64/Amiga
Diablo 1 & 2 - PC
Half-Life - PC
Honourable mention:
Pyjamarama - Commodore 64
Impossible Mission - Commodore 64
Doom 2 - PC

Lo Justy... tried Turrican with WinUAE? Man I've been playing that game ever since I learned of WinUAE's existence.

I even think I have a few versions of boulder dash for the c64 emu.

Cheers, Flix

flixotide said:

Lo Justy... tried Turrican with WinUAE? Man I've been playing that game ever since I learned of WinUAE's existence.

I even think I have a few versions of boulder dash for the c64 emu.

Cheers, Flix

No I haven't. Sadly, Diablo 2 has occupied my spare time during the last 2 years. :(

Boulderdash
ultima series
Moria
Rails west

I76
Privateer
Diablo1-2
Daggerfall

Space Quest 4
played on my 286.

and

Dragon Warrior
on good old Nintendo.

The older games are often the best games.

ooh, ooh, one more Nintendo game!
River City Ransom

Oh man, the memories. I'm gonna have to play some of those again.

Last edited:
I really can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet:

X-COM: UFO Defense

I also love(d) Starsiege: TRIBES and Tribes 2. :p

my list would be.. in no particular order

halo (do the games have to be PC?)
Homeworld
the whole C&C collection except Red alert 2(crappiest crap game i have ever experienced :p)
Tachyon the fringe is a very good game..
Half life and mods :)
I think the name of the game im thinking of is Freespace. also a good game.

These are mine:

Computer

Thief 1/2
Quake 2 CTF with Lithium mod
Half Life
Counter Strike
Panzer General (I still fire this up every now and then)
Warcraft (the original one)
MoH:AA and Spearhead

Console

Super Mario Brothers
CONTRA!!!!!!
Metroid
and the ricochet tanks on the Combat cartridge for Atari 2600
Lemonade for Commodore 64

Arcade

Double Dragon
Street Fighter 2
Mortal Kombat
Galaga
Tempest
Robotron 2084
NBA Jam

honorable mention to Pick-Axe Pete on the TI-99A~!

VICE CITY for its fun factor and just the feeling of doing anything you want in a large environment

DIABLO 2 for its 2+ year addiction

BROOD WAR for its replayability and battle.net service

HALF-LIFE for its ability to just engulf someone in the pitiful life of gordan freeman.. as a 3dshooter

MAX PAYNE for the unique bullet-time and the great style of story-telling and narration

w00t w00t! :D

Here I go,

Gemstone 3, got me into the whole MMORPG thing in the first place, which brought me into my next favorite, one I loved so much:

Everquest, spent over a year on this, still have urges to go back, but I prevent myself from doing it.

Counter-Strike, dont have to go into detail

Diablo 2 and the expansion, again dont need the detail.

Unreal Tournament (god the days when I would play on my old school 8mb savage card that I used to play EQ with also, then my voodoo5 came when I was a noob and didnt know what to buy)

TFC... God TFC was so much friggin fun

Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne

Final Fantasy 7, ;)

Zelda 1, Zelda 3 (for snes) Zelda for gameboy (original one) and the first Zelda for N64, will be buying a gamecube this fall to play the new one along with metroid prime.

Just about all the platform marios that were popular, havent tried Sunshine, but I sure did love 64.

Vice City, need I say more?

And the others that pop into mide (cant think to well)
Doom 1 and 2, Warcraft 2, Civilization 2, Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2, all the Sonics for Genesis (excluding 3d) and Sonic Adventure.

I should just stop now.

Nethack was the first game I ever played. L.O.R.D. was a lot of fun too on the old BBS's. But the hands down winner for me is Quest for Glory 4. Something about that game... mmm... I love it :) I still think the graphics look awesome... back when all you had to work with was 320x200 it took some skill to make it look nice. And the game itself was just superb... dang I think I'll reinstall this weekend for old times sake :D

Back