• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 980 Ti

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WhitehawkEQ

Premium Member
Well, I pulled the trigger on a EVGA GTX 980 Ti, it will go in 1 of my 4P's. As 1080's become more plentiful, I'll get 1 for my Win 10 PC. That should do it for me, I'm not going to try and out do anyone, just be in the top 20 :thup:

Last edited:
Good job. I pulled the trigger too early and sold my 980 a few weeks ago. I assumed prices would plummet and that 1080s and 1070s would be plentiful. Wrong on both accounts. So while I got a good price for my 980 I'm now sitting here with a lone 970, waiting for availability. Kind of irks me that Nvidia isn't doing a better job on supply. Not sure if they can't get yield on the processors or if there's another supply problem. Waiting to see what the new AMD cards do. I doubt they'll be competitive on price to points or power/heat to points, but we'll see.

Now for the $60,000 dollar question: When I get the card (this fri or sat) do I need to install any other software to fold with V7 7.4.4 Ubuntu, or just drop it in and setup slot for it?

if you have a very late driver you should be plug and play, with a system reboot to let it pick up the card, that depends on what you had in the rig before.

if you have a very late driver you should be plug and play, with a system reboot to let it pick up the card, that depends on what you had in the rig before.

I have NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.96.run & NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-367.27.run but can't install it, what drivers are on the 4P now, are the default drivers that linux installed.

edit: NM, I found out how to install 340.96 so now my 980 should just drop in and off I go :thup: <-scratch that, it does not complete the install and it's stuck on X.org for the GPU driver :bang head

Last edited:
Change of plan, the 980 will be going in my Win 10 PC and the 4P will stay as is, can't get that big grASS card to fit :rofl:

Awesome. I am loving how my MSI 980ti GE is running. Although the 1070 usually beats the 980ti in games, It looks like the 980ti has a slight edge in folding.
Excited to join the top 20 as well, but starting tomorrow, I will be shutting down for 2 weeks or so. I am doing a big move and taking vacation en route.

I got the 980 going in my Win 10 PC and getting about 500k ppd on it with TPF of 40 sec +/- 2 sec. I did have to install 7.4.4 to get it going, I was using 7.1.52 but it don't support the 980 :thup:

now them's some numbers......

And it's not even OC'ed, it's as is from the box, installed the drivers, 7.4.4 and Precision X was already installed :)
Can't wait to get a GTX 1080 SC and see what it does :comp:

p.s. don't forget I have 1 4P still running doing 105k ppd +/- 1k.

Last edited:
It's amazing how this 980 card gets almost as many points as my 2 4P's did before they changed the points for A5 WU's, sad that after all that $$$ spent, those 4P's are now nothing but a boat anchor :rofl:

It's amazing how this 980 card gets almost as many points as my 2 4P's did before they changed the points for A5 WU's, sad that after all that $$$ spent, those 4P's are now nothing but a boat anchor :rofl:
If it had more useful PCIe slots than the one, I'd snagged it in an instant when you were trying to sell it. There's plenty of awesome things a 4P machine can do.

Back