• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX10xx, Polaris and Vega discussion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't think it's lost on NVIDIA. If any of these rumors are true, a '980ti' for $380 in the 1070 bodes well for performanice AND price for NVIDIA. They are just starting out with their upper midrange offerings first, before lower tier.

Like Always, But AMD focusing now on Mid tear GPUs will mean better driver support for these GPUs and probably other stuff.

Like Always, But AMD focusing now on Mid tear GPUs will mean better driver support for these GPUs and probably other stuff.
I don't understand why the tier of card matters with the quality of driver support....

edit: Looking at your sig, youre rocking a 280x and a 7950. Polaris should be floating your boat based on claims. Why the split here?
Well, a 380X. But I was running a 980Ti that I sold a few weeks back. It was an amazing GPU that I sold it before the price crash to put $ aside for a new shiny 1080. I picked up an open box 380X at Microcenter for $180 as a temporary stopgap. I wanted to spend under $200 for the temporary card and AMD's 380X is clearly superior to the GTX 960 in that segment. Prior to the 980Ti, I was using a Sapphire Fury and before that an EVGA 980 so I regularly switch back and forth but like to keep a high-end GPU in the X99 rig. The old 7950 is fine for my backup X79 rig which has issues with UEFI cards. So, yes I have no interest in Polaris or the 1070 for that matter. I see a 1080 in my rig a month from now, and if AMD comes through, probably a Vega in the fall. As you can plainly see, I have no allegiance to either the "green" or "red" teams.

If the drivers are bad it will (Probably) result in bad optimization in games.

That's true, but I still don't understand why being mid-tier would matter versus having products across the full spectrum? No matter what you want good driver support for games whether you have a $100 or a $600 card.

That's true, but I still don't understand why being mid-tier would matter versus having products across the full spectrum? No matter what you want good driver support for games whether you have a $100 or a $600 card.

As you can see in this link : http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/ (Thanks EarthDog!) most of the people that play steam games use Mid tear GPUs (Though the GTX 970 is the most used card just add the 960 and 750ti users together and it will be more people than the 970.) and will probably upgrade to a mid tear GPU in the future.
And i can see why its worth getting a mid tear GPU and upgrade it to a new mid tear GPU every 2 years, Cause if you buy a 660 and 2 years later upgrade it to 960 the power of the 960 will be almost equal to the 680.

And to answer your question, Its easier to make drivers for less GPUs

Tears come from your eyes. Tiers are levels of something. Tears come from my eyes when I realize my GTX 980 TI that I paid $629.00 for last June is now selling for $350-400 and GTX 1080 hasn't even hit the shelves.

Uhh, I mean its easier to make drivers for less devices like, Take IOS and Android, Apple have to optimize their OS to a specific hardware that they know they need to optimize it for, While Google has to optimize their OS to alot of hardware.

Uhh, I mean its easier to make drivers for less devices like, Take IOS and Android, Apple have to optimize their OS to a specific hardware that they know they need to optimize it for, While Google has to optimize their OS to alot of hardware.

I don't think driver optimizations target every single model, I believe it is more towards architecture. Granted there's always some exceptions.

Tears come from your eyes. Tiers are levels of something. Tears come from my eyes when I realize my GTX 980 TI that I paid $629.00 for last June is now selling for $350-400 and GTX 1080 hasn't even hit the shelves.
Look you've had it for almost one full year, so really nothing to tear up about. To go to the next tier you could pick up one of those $350 980Ti's you're seeing (I'm seeing them go for more like $400 to $425) and go super SLI. A nice EVGA Hybrid 980Ti just ended at $450 with no bids on eBay.

Not an issue man. :)

I don't think driver optimizations target every single model, I believe it is more towards architecture. Granted there's always some exceptions.

Not an issue man. :)

Oh, Well.. Im not a programmer so i dont know anything about this stuff but i guessed its optimization for everything cause optimization on mobile devises you have to optimize hardware so it works fine and not like poop.

Look you've had it for almost one full year, so really nothing to tear up about. To go to the next tier you could pick up one of those $350 980Ti's you're seeing (I'm seeing them go for more like $400 to $425) and go super SLI. A nice EVGA Hybrid 980Ti just ended at $450 with no bids on eBay.
Sure I understand. I have 2 R9 290s in CF in my 4790k rig and want to go to a single gpu card in it, preferably AMD so Big Vega might be in my future.

Anybody that has a R9 290x could have told you that the FURY X would be a wash. When a R9 290x that has < 6 Terflops can beat a Fury X in GPUPI (a mathematical benchmark similar to SuperPi but run on the GPU). I will not speculate on what might have been holding it back.

Back