• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Guide to feed wifi in on one adapter and out on another?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Sorry if the title is confusing. I'm working my volunteer/vacation job and I work in a faraday cage trailer. I have one USB wifi adapter that is fed outside through a cable so I can have internet on my computer. I've now got a person working with me who isn't able to connect to the signal. I've got a second wifi adapter and would like to make it an AP for them to connect to. I'm not finding a lot of good guide for this for Windows 10.

Can anybody point me to a good resource on how to do this?

Thank you!

Can't you just take the ethernet feed from the outside that is now going to your usb ethernet adapter and connect it to a router so as to give you more ethernet ports to connect to?

He has a USB WiFi adaptor not ethernet. The cable going outside I assume is for the antenna itself.

The real question is why are you working in a faraday cage? Why would you want two computers inside saif cage? You really opened up a slew of questions about what this vacation job is buddy. I hope that you can share... you're internet with your office mate. See what I did there? 'cause I'm not sure I do myself.

He has a USB WiFi adaptor not ethernet. The cable going outside I assume is for the antenna itself.

The real question is why are you working in a faraday cage? Why would you want two computers inside saif cage? You really opened up a slew of questions about what this vacation job is buddy. I hope that you can share... you're internet with your office mate. See what I did there? 'cause I'm not sure I do myself.

I don't know if you are aware of the SCA (sca.org) but their biggest event is Pennsic War, which I'm the event staff Quartermaster. I sit in an aluminum shelled storage trailer (which fortunately has an air conditioner for it) and wait for orders from staff for things like 12 cans of upsidedown spray paint to mark out a field for a battle. My wife and another person head into the nearest town (Butler PA) to fill these orders every day. My 2nd also sits in the trailer with me, and we both check online sources to see if certain items are in stock locally, and if not, we place orders with Amazon and other online retailers.

The USB pass-through extension cable is to let me have the WiFi antenna outside the trailer, especially when the door is closed.

I'm also a little hesitant, as when I installed the drivers for the new antenna, it made it so while I could connect to the SSID for my connection with the old (external) antenna, I couldn't get internet access. And while the drivers would 'uninstall' it didn't fix my problem with the old antenna, it also wouldn't actually remove itself from the add/remove programs list. Trying to uninstall it again, just reinstalled the drivers for the new antenna. Removing the source folder for the drivers wouldn't keep it from installing again. And I'm afraid if I figured out which files in the driver store were the right ones, it would remove needed ones for the old antenna.

So, I just switched to the new antenna, and I'm functional again, but afraid to try putting the old antenna in to see if I can get those instructions to work.

Sorry for the long rant.

You know how many times I've heard this same story? Just this once. But my point is... my point is... never mind what my point is. You get the point.

I think you can do what you want with a patch cable and ICS. I hope it does.

With your new drivers in hand, install Revo Uninstaller then unistall the current software using Revo. Then install the software you want and you could be good to go with that issue. Revo will scrub the registry and will remove it from your uninstall list. It won't do anything for internet sharing.

Last edited:
Back