• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have to have one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

new_novice

this is a dumb question, but I just want to MAKE SURE that I'm right on this one. Ok, to be able to do dual monitor, you HAVE to have a card that is capable right? You CAN"T use the intergrated video and just buy another cheapy card (no multi monitor support) and make that work. AM I Correct? So either 1 Card or nothing right?

thats correct unless you buy one of thoes boxes for split monitors. I think it can work off of one card.

Or you can try and set the onboard Video run in PCI mode, but I'm not sure on this one. Another way is to buy a cheap PCI videocard, along with your AGP videocard.

there are no agp slot only pci, so would that still work? i once put a PCI card in a mobo that has intergrated video once, I plugged the monitor in the intergrated slots and would get no video. So I just want to make sure that's the case for everybody.

funnyperson1 said:
you are incorrect, you can run two video cards, with one monitor on each..

but can it be an intergrated one AND a PCI slot one? meaning leave my onboard one there and just add another? or does it have to be 2 of the same brand, type, make, model?

new_novice said:
but can it be an intergrated one AND a PCI slot one? meaning leave my onboard one there and just add another? or does it have to be 2 of the same brand, type, make, model?

Yes. It can be integrated/PCI/PCI/PCI/PCI or AGP/PCI/PCI/PCI/PCI

Usually the integrated shares the AGP bus. Only one device per AGP bus(it was meant to get away from the PCI bus). However many devices can be shared on the PCI bus. The older integrated videos are on the PCI bus.

Then it all comes down to how well the cards decide to work together. But for the most part it should run fine.

Back