• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Having some issues. I removed my heatspreader from my p4 now what???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
nope I was hooked up by some really cool people heh. I checked their site. Someone said that a tad more should be applied for a prescott though

You have definitly earned the title "INSANE OVERCLOCKER" or just "INSANE." Your choice, which ever you like best. Anyone who takes an IHS off a chip that its soldered to deserves either respect or pity and you've got both from me:)

Clock on baby!

Hey, but of a newb to this kind of extreme modding to the CPU, but you can actually do this **** to it? Take the heatspreader i mean? What sort of increase in cooling will this gain?

BTW Sucks that the prescot was soldered :p

~t0m

Enlighter said:
yeh I decided i don't agree with it either. It's not their fault it's mine and I gotta deal with that. I am still trying to figure out why they use solder. that is prolly the reason for the high prescott temps, along with the concave heatspreader.
It gives INSANE heat conductivity compared to grease, look at this article about cpu die soldering http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10678 (I remembered this from many months ago, lol)

bulk88 said:

It gives INSANE heat conductivity compared to grease, look at this article about cpu die soldering http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=10678 (I remembered this from many months ago, lol)

aha! ive wondered why the M0 cores produce more heat (according to intel's s-spec here ) yet they tend to run cooler than comparible D1 processors....it must be that they use this soldering method which boosts the thermal interface between the core and the ihs by 10 times! thanks for sharing this bulk88 (by the way, nice set of rigs you have there lol....im surprised your landlord hasnt caught on....and im eve more surprised the apartment can handle that much electrical load! do you do folding or seti?)

you can remove it by putting a thin layer of flux on a brown paper bag, hold the paper over the cpu so the flux is just touching the solder, now hold an iron on the bag so it heat the solder and it runs to the flux.

so like this iron -------- ==============
bag-------- _________________
cpu-------- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yeah it would be cool to see some updated pictures. I am getting the impression that some think that because the solder has more heat conductivity, the cpu's report higher temps. That theory just don't float. The diode that reports temps to BIOS is located inside the CPU, not on top of the Heatspreader. The temps should be the same or even lower with the new solder if the thermal conducitvity is so much better.

gustav said:

aha! ive wondered why the M0 cores produce more heat (according to intel's s-spec here ) yet they tend to run cooler than comparible D1 processors....it must be that they use this soldering method which boosts the thermal interface between the core and the ihs by 10 times! thanks for sharing this bulk88 (by the way, nice set of rigs you have there lol....im surprised your landlord hasnt caught on....and im eve more surprised the apartment can handle that much electrical load! do you do folding or seti?)

Okay I voulunter for distributed.net. I used to be a Seti many years ago (2000) but the program was cumbersome to use back then and I was a semi-newbie, I was reading I think BeOS Unleashed or BeOS Bible (big thick computer books) and it mentioned distributed.net and to work for the BeOS team. I quickly switched to a team of my ethnicity.

Its actually an office building, and my mom (proprieter) lets me have 2 rooms to keep the cumputers in, also the building managment has complained in the past about power usage, but I dont think they notice it, since tenants move out and I add computers sucking up whatever juice they were using, so effectily on a line graph its even (power usage wise), I am fully using 3 1/2 20amp circuts, computers run 24/7 obviously.

Total processing power is 8 dual athlon 2500+s rigs combined. Most rigs are 300-450 mhz P2s, some are dual P3 1ghz, and some more are athlon xps (tbred-B cores) or bartons.

IMG_0094.jpg

That image looks like he smeared it. Is it soft at all? Buy some goof off! :D Best investment i've ever made. This stuff yanks ink off of the stickers I have lol! Havent found anything it doesnt eat through yet.

Back