• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD4850 or not HD4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

I have always been an nVidia guy, but I am not a hater of ATi. My 8800GT 512 is going to be replaced eventually, but I was looking at GTX 260 or GTX 275. Problem is they are over $200 for the 896MB. I have a chance to get a Diamond HD4850 512MB new but with open box, still get 30 day in store warranty, for only $75 out the door.

I have always run Gigabyte products and have always been happy, I am not a big gamer, just some TF2 and CoH every once in a while right now(1 kid and 2nd one due any day now).

My question is should I just suck it up and get the 4850(512MB) or maybe even get a 5770(1GB) for only about $150 from NE?

I know(er, think) the 5770 isn't a major jump from the 4850, but I guess I just want to hear what other people think.

Thanks in advance.

Here's the question to me: If those games you play run fine on your 8800GT do you really have a reason to get a new card? The 8800 GT is a solid card even now especially in older games. Now if it were a more recent card that might still lose a fair amount of resale value (assuming you'd sell it after getting a new card) there might be a reason to do a buy and sell. But the 8800 GT has largely leveled off in resale value, it will drop a bit more but not much. Therefore whether you replace it sooner or later the resale value won't change much and shouldn't affect the timing of the decision, so we're back to my philosophy 'If it runs the games you play, why spend money on an upgrade now'

If you're looking to replace it 'eventually' then just wait until you're more definite about replacing it, there's always new stuff around the corner. Having said all that a 4850 for $75 is merely a fair used price, not bad but not great, and is somewhat of an improvement over the 8800 GT but not really big in actual use (as opposed to benchmarks.) The 5770 is a big jump up from the 4850/8800 GT though, it's closer to the GTX 260 and 4870 1GB in performance.

Thanks for the reply. When I say eventually, I mean kinda soon. I just bought my HAF932 and a PSU. I will then get the mobo and maybe a 920. After that was the GPU. I just moved, and once we get settled in and the kids allow me back into gaming, I may go after some newer, higher end games.

Another question, say I wait - should I go ATi or stick with nVidia? Highest nVidia only has 480 stream processors, but ATi has 3200. I don't need a 5970, but is comparing stream processors between nVidia and ATi akin to apples and oranges?

I think you should just wait it out, the 8800GT will still serve you very well in TF2 and CoH and with Nvidia releasing their new line of cards in march, that will cause ATi's prices to fall and their latest gen cards look better for the price.

Not what I expected to hear, but I will roll with it. I thought people would tell me to jump on the 4850 for $75. I am glad that nobody has said that though, as I don't want to switch to the darkside. :)

well that doesn't mean, don't go ATi. If I were you, wait as suggested above for nvidia to release their next generation, that will drive ATi cards down, and they may be better cost/performance ratios than what nvidia has to offer. Is the 4850 better than an 8800GT? yes, more or less in the same way a 9800GTX+ is better than an 8800GT, but the difference isn't mind blowing.

well that doesn't mean, don't go ATi. If I were you, wait as suggested above for nvidia to release their next generation, that will drive ATi cards down, and they may be better cost/performance ratios than what nvidia has to offer. Is the 4850 better than an 8800GT? yes, more or less in the same way a 9800GTX+ is better than an 8800GT, but the difference isn't mind blowing.

Exactly, it's better but not hugely so and $75 is a good but not 'omg do it' price. There isn't much room to go lower either though heh :shrug: I guess if it's for something within the next month and you really want to, go for it, if you sell the 8800 GT it won't cost you much net but the 8800 GT won't lose much more value over the next 6 months either imo.

...if you sell the 8800 GT it won't cost you much net but the 8800 GT won't lose much more value over the next 6 months either imo.

Yeah, but a used 8800GT is only worth what, $20?

Really though, thanks for all the info. I tried asking the wife for advice but that didn't work. She just wants one that lets her play pogo.

well if you're in Germany as your location states, I'm sure you could sell it for much more than $50. Electronics are generally more expensive in europe than north america.

well if you're in Germany as your location states, I'm sure you could sell it for much more than $50. Electronics are generally more expensive in europe than north america.

Really?? I didn't think about a local sale. I just got here from the states, and I have tried to sell other PC related parts on the local American craigslist type forum, but no go. Everyone wants just whole PCs, they don't want components. I am still looking for a German parts store. I like Newegg, but I also like being able to walk in and buy what I want.

...anyway, back to the card. I was at the store again looking at it and ran into a guy about to buy a 4350. Talked him into the 4850 and walked away.

Now, I will wait for the new GTX 299(or whatever they call the next one). :)

Yeah, doesn't make sense spending money on a 4850 when new cards out are gonna drop in price very soon.

If your current card handles your games, then just hold out a little longer. It will pay off in the end as these guyz just posted :cool:

My xfired 4850's handles evrything atm so no need for me to buy new cards just yet. I am, however, looking to upgrade, but for now my cards serve me well.

Back