• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd affecting OC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JFettig

Hey! I showered! Senior
ok i have a problem with overclocking and my hard drive....

i have a maxtor 5000rpm or something 30gig ata66 and the max fsb i can get without corupt files is 150 and i wanna get more! every time i boot win2kpro it says i have a corupt file if i go over 150... so the max oc i can get rite now is 1650mhz wich i wanna go over xp2000+.... my computer will boot fine over 1700mhz and i wanna go very high,

im runnin an xp 1700+ at the 1650mhz and i have a soyo dragon board(got some problems with that) and the maxtor hard drive and rite now some corsair 2400ram and some other cards,....

what do you suggest to me?

I think you may be mistaken. Getting errors in windoze on start up is not necessarily a HD issue. When I push my FSB too far, I will get errors saying, such and such file could not be found, please reload windoze. In fact this happens if I push my multi to say 12.5 and my FSB to 145, so, clearly a 145 FSB is not too much for my drives, they purr at 163!

how can i fix this?

im not unlocked...yet...

Garfield said:

What does raising the ram voltage have to do with hdd problems?

I believe Wyrm is implying it is a RAM corruption issue and not a HDD issue. One way to test this would be to use the *most* conservative RAM timings possible, with the same Voltage currently used. The Corsair should run 150 at aggressive seetings, so conservative memory settings might allow above 150, though the performance may or may not be better due to the lower memory settings.

On a side note, your PCI bus is only at ~37 MHz at 150 FSB with a 1/4 divider that I assume you are using ;) so I too doubt it is a HDD issue; I have a 4 year old Seagate 7200 rpm drive that will do 42MHz fine, though I never ran extended periods at that speed.

Try the mem stuff and see where that gets you.

Garfield said:

How could you see if that way though if the ram isn't already working?

Hmmmmm? I really didn't get that can you re-explain.

The point to raising VIO voltage is meant to test if the ram isn't the bottleneck, if it doesn't however work then it's not, if it does then it was the bottleneck.

Yodums

First off, overclocking rarely affects the hard drive itself. What it will effect is the hard drive controller built into your motherboard which runs off the PCI bus. We all know what overclocking does to your PCI bus. It could be your memory that's tanking out. It could very well be that you've reached the limit on your CPU. There is quite a few variables that will cause data corruption when you overclock.

If it is in fact your memory, either changing the voltage or memory divider if your motherboard allows it.

If it's the PCI bus you're not going any higher unless you can change dividers on it.

And if it's your hard drive controller, then your pretty much hosed short of buying a better motherboard.

But you have a Dragon which is a good overclocking platform. I would look at the memory. It seems to be the weak spot in your system.

hey thanx, but im running a soyo dragon and i cant change the voltage... but what is the 1/4 divider for pci? im interested in that!

maskedgeek said:
hey thanx, but im running a soyo dragon and i cant change the voltage... but what is the 1/4 divider for pci? im interested in that!

The 1/4 divider is what your FSB number is divided by to get the PCI bus speed.

maskedgeek said:

Can I ask what type of ram your using?

If its Crucial, lots of their ram gets flakey around the speed your at now, in order to get it running good, you definitely need more power in that ram.

Is there any sort of volt mod for your board?

Yodums

>> you definitely need more power in that ram. <<

This would be done by raising the voltage to the ram, right? But, he says he can't do that. Hmmm...a toughy :D

i can run my ram at 133 all the time if i want to, and i dont think there is a ram volt mod...

and i was running corsair 2400 at that time, but now im running at 1700+ with corsair and some samsung ram...

Back