• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatsink fan question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mikes95XLT

Hey guys. I have never changed out a heatsink before... so here's my newb question:

With my processor came a heatsink that is held on by these weird clips from the top that you push opposite each other and it locks the heatsink to the mobo. Now, if I bought a different heatsink would I still need to use that mechanism or is there a different way to attach it to my board??

It all depends to the HS that you bought, You can read the manual if it is included with the box....

What HS is it anyway?

Yeah you can use the stock P4 retention bracket the board uses, Just remove the old HS from your mobo then clean the tim on the cpu and apply some white goop or AS5, then you can easily install this new hs......

As long as you buy the correct version of the HS for your CPU, it will have the correct mechanism. You will also need to buy a new fan as you won't be able to use the old one on a different HS. Also don't forget that if you replace the stock HSF with a different one, you will void your warranty. Hope this helps :)

Back