• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELLLLLLLLLLLP! Last Resort

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

coaiti

Registered
My computer has some kind of weird network problem. MSN messenger, yahoo messenger, and Aol instant messenger all don't work. I have tried re-installing all of them, using ad-aware to scan for spyware, and this registry trick that a user from here told me about. None worked. I am desperate. AOL instant messenger's online version and ICQ both work fine. But the rest don't work...WHY?????? so frustrating
Any Ideas?
Thanks,
Coaiti

its not really a solution, but try downloading trillian to see if that helps.

trillian is a program that utilizes AIM, icq, yahoo, msn, etc all in one interface. if that doesn't connect then i'd say you might have problems with either a virus or something with your networking or connection settings.

jeff

I bet we could help you more if you desctibed your Internet connection in detail:

-dialup/leased/LAN;
-proxy/firewall (if any);
-OS you (and proxy) are running...

I already tried Trillian...no work.
Here is all I know about my network settings short of looking them up:

Windows 98 SE. 4. something
I use ATT Roadrunner
Don't have any firewalls that I am aware of[although I did try zone alarm and some other network/internet programs which are unmentionable on this forum]
I have tried re-installing dial-up networking and winsock through that registry trick but no go
I don't have any viruses that can be detected

Are you on cable with AT&T Roadrunner or are you on a dialup? If you are on cable why are you installing dialup networking? Are you on a home network and if so what is the network setup? If everything but the IM programs work fine and you dont have any other problems accessing the internet then in all probability you are either behind a firewall or your ISP is using a proxy server. Try contacting your ISP or playing around with the proxy server settings in the IM programs to see if you can get them to work. If you are on a home network using NAT then you will have to open and forward the appropriate ports that the IM programs use.

Back