• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help a newb choose a motherboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

puppet76

Registered
Hello,

I am a NEWB to this forum but have been following it for some time. I just want to say you guys seem very knowledgable and friendly, so I feel I am in the right place.

I am in the process of building a new machine. I will be completely honest, I have never overclocked a processor (go ahead and laugh:rolleyes:) However, I am not new to building computers/ networking. I have currently built a few machines, my first one in 98 and have about 4-5 years expirence doing networking in the USAF.So I am not completely lost.

So over the past few weeks I have been reading alot about how to overclock and I think I feel confortable enough to try it. With this being said, I am torn between what motherboard is a good choice.

parts I have so far:

PC power and cooling 610W continous Power Supply
Q6600 G0 stepped processor minus the stock cooler
Masscool 8WA741_1 CPU cooler (on the way)
Rosewell midtower

My goal is to do a mild-mid OC on the Q6600 to get up to 3.0GHZ(for now)
My operating system will be XP pro 32 bit.

So now here is my delemma, I want a good mobo for OCing however, I play alot of games and do alot of media so it will have to be a strong gamer. My budget is sort of limited so I can't go all out(no 790/X48/ULTRA 8800). I'd like it to be PCIE 2.0 and support DDR2 800 and possibly SLI/Xfire

SO now my options so far

1) EVGA 780I/8800 GS(single card for now)/4 Gigs(2X2) mushkin DDR2 800. Is this a good combo? I have honestly read mixed reviews about the OC ability of the 780I so I am skeptical.

2) DFI LP DK X38 TR2/4 Gigs (2X2) mushkin DDR2 800/ video card ???. I really like this board from what I have read. It iseems rock solid with little v droop and alot of BIOS options however, I feel it would be kind of pointless to put an Nvidia card in a board set up for a Crossfire solution. However I have always used Nvidia and do not have much experence with ATI products.

Sorry about the long winded post but I am really on the fence. Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

THX

Back