• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help building my first PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GingaMilla

Registered
New postee here looking for some help on building my own PC.

I don't have a set budget as I want to take my time in buying the parts I am a patient guy and not looking to spend all of the money on the PC right away, this is going to give me some leeway on what to buy.

Firstly this is going to be my first ever own built PC. I have watched plenty of videos on how to build one so no problems there it's just the parts I need help with. The PC that I have now was about £420 2 years ago and it's not the best by any means(I live and learn). Here are my specs right now and this is what i paid to get the custom PC:

- AMD FX-6100 six core Processor
- 3.30GHz
- 8GB RAM
- 64bit system
- No graphics card
- 1tb hard drive(no SSD)
- No idea what my Motherboard is
- Windows 7 64bit

As you can see, for 420 quid, it's not the best is it? It runs fast don't get me wrong but it's when I am running a game which is played in a text based mode, Football Manager for example, it tends to make other things run slow like browsing the net is a little slower or when I am watching youtube/twitch. I tend to multi task a lot but just makes things slower.

I am wanting to upgrade to a completely new system which I am going to build myself. I want to be able to run smootly on whatever I am playing, play proper games on it(when i say proper I mean ones that use graphics) so I know I need a good graphics card. The thing is I am struggling on what parts I really need and what are good prices.

I don't really have a budget like I say because I can be patient with this, but I want something which is going to last me years to come but also something which I am able to upgrade as time goes on with better stuff.

Any feedback and recommendations on where to start is appreciated! I could go along and build something which would be good and post it here to get feedback? Just it's I want to know what the best parts are for each bit required, if that makes sense?

Thanks,

Craig.

Last edited:
You say no budget but you must have a number you want to keep it around or under.
Do you plan on overclocking the system?
What screen resolutions do you play at?
Do you need an operating system?

I have AMD 760G graphics according to my properties on my computer.

I am looking to buy and use Windows 7 64bit. I managed to build something on another website which came to around 700-750 pounds including VAT. The problem I am having is knowing what components are best for the price? Do I got for the best motherboard and processor with a mid range graphics? What about the size of an SSD? Do I have an HDD and a SSD or just SSD? What about the right case? These are the things I am looking to know. If you want, I can copy over my spec I created and you can have a look at and it give feedback on it?

One of the most helpful things as we advise you would be to know where you would be buying the components from. Would you be purchasing them from local retail establishments or online. Can you give us links to the vendor options available to you. Availability and pricing of components varies tremendously from one area of the world to another.

That power supply is overkill. You could downgrade to the CX 500 to save some money. Also try to go with some 1866 ram.

ray, if you read the whole thread you will see that OP states money is no object. I've already told him the things you just said. He has already made the change to 1866. And I told him the 850W PSU is overkill but I think he wants to give himself the option of adding a second video card later on.

ray, if you read the whole thread you will see that OP states money is no object. I've already told him the things you just said. He has already made the change to 1866. And I told him the 850W PSU is overkill but I think he wants to give himself the option of adding a second video card later on.

Lol my apologies. Got a little lazy.

I went with a 750 thinking that would be enough for the parts I had and it seems it'll be too much. I knocked it down to a 600w PSU which would be reasonable for me. Budget wise doesn't matter TOO much but I wanted to make sure I could get something which isn't going to take me too too long to buy. any thoughts on a case? I need something which is good on carpets.

I am guessing 1866 is faster for RAM? I will have a look at that now see what I can find. Would the GPU I chosen run games in good quality? With a good image also? If not then what would?

Anthing else on my build if needs be cheaper but better or simply something better overall then please let me know. This is my first ever build I will be doing myself so want to get it right the first time. Oh and I don't plan on overclocking(I have no idea how to).

Appreciated.

Well hush my mouth! I am the one who needs to read the whole thread. And ray, I owe you an apology. I got this one confused with another thread I was advising on.

LMAO yea I read through it after and didn't see anything. Figured maybe he hit you up in a PM or something.

Ginga, going from an FX-6100 to an A10 CPU may actually be a downgrade in computing power.

As far as your motherboard goes, please download and install this free program: CPU-z. Then attach an image to your post of the CPU-z "Motherboard" tab. While you are at it, attach an image of the "SPD" tab. This will give us more info about your hardware. To attach an image, first crop and capture the image with something like Snipping Tool which can be found in Windows Accessories. Then click on Go Advanced and find the paperclip tool in the advanced image window. The rest is obvious.

I went with a 750 thinking that would be enough for the parts I had and it seems it'll be too much. I knocked it down to a 600w PSU which would be reasonable for me. Budget wise doesn't matter TOO much but I wanted to make sure I could get something which isn't going to take me too too long to buy. any thoughts on a case? I need something which is good on carpets.

A 600W PSU if it's a quality brand will be perfectly adequate if you are only running one video card.

If on carpet, get a case with tall feet to provide clearance for ventilation on the bottom side of the case. Choose a roomy case with lots of place to mount fans in front and back and/or top panels. Go with at least a mid tower size.

I am guessing 1866 is faster for RAM? I will have a look at that now see what I can find. Would the GPU I chosen run games in good quality? With a good image also? If not then what would?

Yes, 1866 is faster than 1600. If you go with an APU processor then get the fastest RAM you can afford. The integrated gpu on those things thrives on fast RAM.

Anthing else on my build if needs be cheaper but better or simply something better overall then please let me know. This is my first ever build I will be doing myself so want to get it right the first time. Oh and I don't plan on overclocking(I have no idea how to).

Appreciated.

The motherboard I am using is an ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX.

A downgrade? Oh dear. This thing seems to run slow when trying to mulitask. When I watch twitch or youtube, i try to browse my computer but I find it slows it down. Not sure if anyone has played Football Manager 2015 before? I tend to play that while watching twitch but my game is running slow as hell and even at time with twitch open in browser it runs slow trying to browse the internet too or just browser open and game open, browser is slower and takes longer for pages to show up? I don't think this computer is powerful enough. It's like sometimes I turn PC on and open browser it takes a while to show homepage?

Since you have carpet have you thought of doing a micro-ATX build or something of that nature and just have it set on your desk?

The motherboard I am using is an ASRock 960GM/U3S3 FX.

A downgrade? Oh dear. This thing seems to run slow when trying to mulitask. When I watch twitch or youtube, i try to browse my computer but I find it slows it down. Not sure if anyone has played Football Manager 2015 before? I tend to play that while watching twitch but my game is running slow as hell and even at time with twitch open in browser it runs slow trying to browse the internet too or just browser open and game open, browser is slower and takes longer for pages to show up? I don't think this computer is powerful enough. It's like sometimes I turn PC on and open browser it takes a while to show homepage?

What you describe is not due to a weak CPU or lack of RAM. Something else is going on. If I were you I would focus on upgrading your GPU. Your on-board graphics are very weak and will not do at all for playing games. Don't throw down money on a bunch of parts just yet. Get a good video card to start with and see if that doesn't make a major improvement in the issues you describe. I also wonder if you don't have some malware that is eating up system resources. If I were you I would also do a clean reinstall of Windows 7.

Back