• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help deciding on first ever AMD rig

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
This may have been a deciding factor, considering the performance loss isn't enough to warrant spending the extra money for an Intel system. He really didn't spend that much on the "core" components (except the RAM seems a bit pricey to me?)

Well it might have been the deciding factor if he had actually gone for the cheaper components like the TF570SLI, and the 5200+. The system purchased really offers no savings over an Intel system that after overclocking would dominate performance wise.

For $175 you get an E6550 and a Biostar TP35D2 for $85 AR, and it would actually be $25 cheaper than the AMD setup chosen. That combo should hit 3.5 at least and will be significantly faster than the X2.

Of course we're talking a difference of maybe 20-30% ultimately, and if the OP knowingly sacrificed that performance to buy AMD, then thats his choice. I think he will be very happy with that system, it should be a pretty solid gaming platform for some time to come.

Yikes, I didn't see that ram....$200 for 2GB of ram is ridiculous when you can get 2GB of Ballistix for $60 which will OC almost as well as anything out there. Honestly I would order the Ballistix and send back the Patriots even though you have to swallow the 15% restocking fee.

Whoa, easy killer!

First, I accidentally bought 4 gigs of ram (not 2, which is why the price is high). Secondly, the memory has $40 MIR so it's only 60 bucks for 2 gigs. Otherwise it would be rather expensive.

I believe a quality motherboard makes a big difference. I realize Biostar and other brands have cheaper boards w/ similar features but I don't like gambling. Abit has a good track record for reliability. I said I was rather loyal to Abit because every board I ever purchased from them did me right. (though the AI7 got a bit toasty)

Finally, The 8mb cache Raptor "re-certified" model was 89 bucks, but the 16MB cache version is 149. Plus the 16mb cache version has a $20 MIR so it's really only $129. I wanted the 16mb cache.

I was going to get the q6600 w/ the IP35-E but I decided I wouldn't miss the performance and I would save a few bucks. I'm curious about AMD processors and ultimately curiosity motivated my decision. I'll post my overclock results sometime next week. I purchased some Danger Den water blocks to keep my water cooling addiction alive. I sold my old components for like 400 bucks so you know this stuff still didn't cost me all that much;)

Last edited:
Back