• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! duct hole on acrylic window?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nut581

Howdy all :)

I'm thinking of modding my case by putting that sweet acrylic window on the side panel like everyone else does ...

only the problem is, there's a duct hole on it already .. urghh ... and I use it to blow direct outside air into the cpu HSF, and it works so well, dropping my cpu temp couple degrees down.

so I want both :) .. acrylic window with a duct hole :) ... one question, can I cut the window like I do the case? (using dremel)

Use a "Hole Saw" to cut the hole.
Put masking tape over the plastic, then mark where you need to cut.
Masking tape will prevent the rest of it from getting scratched up.

Good Luck !

I used a 78mm Hole Saw and a pillar drill for my blowholes.. going to be using the again son for a vent over CPU/HSF

dont see why there would be any problem using a dremel just remember to mask the edges off not to scrath the pretty acrylic!!

wauw .. thx a bunch for all the replies guys :) .. I'd go with putting masked tape, drilling, then using dremel to cut the hole thing :)

one more question guys .. which kind of duct design u think worked out the best?
1. isolated duct (isolated H/S fan with a duct that's taking air directly from outside the case)
2. normal duct (a duct w/ a fan on the beginning of the duct, blowing air to the HSF, leaves 1/2 cm space from the HSF)
3. normal duct w/o fan on the beginning of it ..

my current duct design is #2, but some posts on the forum seemed to favor design #1 ... i'm confused :(

I would try experimenting with your ideas. The quietest option would probably be to mount a large diameter fan (80,92,120) at the end of the duct in place of the hsf. If you try this, also try putting another fan at the start of the duct and see if it improves temps. Hope this helps!

Back