• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP: Getting bored with folding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azhari

The subject pretty much says it all. It was kinda exciting when I was climbing up in the ranks, but now I'm pretty much stuck (if not going backwards :) ) Yea, I know, its for a good cause. But I'm still getting pretty bored with folding.

I can't add more comps since I already have 3 at home and the wife gives me the EVIL eye already :argue: I haven't stopped because Rage was on our tails and I wanted to support you guys for all the help you've given me when I needed it. But now Rage isn't a threat anymore, so no competition (and we're so far below [H] and OCAU that I don't make a difference) to spur me on.

So what I'm asking you guys is:

How can I get folding to be fun again?

azhari said:
I don't make a difference

Wrong. Everyone makes a difference. Even that P166 in the corner helps.... :D

How can I get folding to be fun again? [/B]

Find either a team to target or another user. Race someone, for example. Or join with a few other users and see how fast your subteam can climb the ranks.

Now is not a time to sit back and relax. Even though How??? has gone, we can't just slow down to a stop. We can challenge the top two, we just need to recruit more members.

The YattaMonster will also make a difference.

David

I've been folding for a while, not for team 32 for much of it though, and shortly after I joined team 32 I started to get bored too! I found someone to target and overtake and it made a real difference for me. As David said find someone that you can race for points and it will put some of the fun back into things. Look the thread by relic about his challenge he made to our members that should be a good motivation for you. Here it is: http://forum.oc-forums.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=104334
As for you not making a difference you do! Every box helps the team effort and the cause.
If I can't keep my one machine up and running I may send it to you I'm that ****ed off with it!:mad:

I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I realize that every contribution helps. I just meant that as far as competing against [H] and OCAU my 200/week doesn't mean much.

As far as competing against others, the problem is that I made it to 8th place at one point in our team, and now everyone near me is producing at least double my points. My production now is about 30th place. So I'll be going backwards. Not a lot of fun to go backwards in rankings, especially when some of the ones beating me are subteams. Kinda demoralizing :(

Also, our team is not really in competition with any other team right now. We're either comfortably outproducing other teams (such as Rage) or so far behind the top two teams that in the short term its hard for me to derive any fun from competing with them.

The occasional contests do throw in some spice, but as I said in my first post, my wife would shoot me if I built another comp. Especially now that I'm supposed to be job hunting :rolleyes:

azhari said:
I think you guys may have misunderstood me. I realize that every contribution helps. I just meant that as far as competing against [H] and OCAU my 200/week doesn't mean much.

As far as competing against others, the problem is that I made it to 8th place at one point in our team, and now everyone near me is producing at least double my points. My production now is about 30th place. So I'll be going backwards. Not a lot of fun to go backwards in rankings, especially when some of the ones beating me are subteams. Kinda demoralizing :(

Also, our team is not really in competition with any other team right now. We're either comfortably outproducing other teams (such as Rage) or so far behind the top two teams that in the short term its hard for me to derive any fun from competing with them.

The occasional contests do throw in some spice, but as I said in my first post, my wife would shoot me if I built another comp. Especially now that I'm supposed to be job hunting :rolleyes:

Do not think for a second that How??? is not trying to figure out a way to get his farm back online:eek: I am thinking that now is the time to pick up production and increase our lead for when he does come back online. Now is the time to be pushing harder and to recruit more. We are going to need it to carch the top two teams and to stay ahead of Rage when How??? comes back online. I can understand where you are coming from. If you really want some excitement right now then put your boxes under OC3d and help them overcome the dutchmen of Rage. the race is tight and the OC3d team needs as much help as they can get. I have even put most of my rigs on OC3d untill the race is over. I hope that will help you feel the excitement of a close race. Fold on!!!

P.S. Another goal for the Short term would be to Pass Stanman:D Also It is a good thing that there are so many people passing you. Just look at the numbers they have been producing just to be able to keep up with you much less pass you:D:D

Last edited:
use statsman to find out whos close to you in terms of production and race them. You can race people on the basis of:
overall points (rank)
points per week
points per day

You can race against team members or pick on someone from another team and race them. They don't even have to know.

For me, at the moment I'm just letting Nikhsub1 get a little ahead before I zoom past him again.:D

Well... at least that's my story;)

For me, at the moment I'm just letting Nikhsub1 get a little ahead before I zoom past him again.
Funny, that's what I'm doing for BOTH you guys. :)

How about this, if you're on this BB, you're one of those people that your friends always ask to fix their computers. I know I am. Whenever I fix peoples' computers, I always tell them that they have to run F@H. That's a condition for me fixing their PC. Of course the Client runs in my name, but why quibble with details.

This is a real easy if not a profitable (if you charge people to fix the computer) way to add CPUs to your "farm".

Good luck.

azhari said:
Not a lot of fun to go backwards in rankings, especially when some of the ones beating me are subteams. Kinda demoralizing :

I know what you mean but if you can't beat them join them. OC3d would be glad to have you, and we have a realy close race going with The raging Duchmen right now.

Thats why I joined OC3d. I hit 1000 points I was about to start moving backwards in the stats. (That and I bench my computer repeatedly):D

DeepScience said:
...For me, at the moment I'm just letting Nikhsub1 get a little ahead before I zoom past him again.:D...
Did you see that I am adding another 1.8Gig XP? Muwhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahaha
:D

Remember that why you started folding in the first place. It was the cause; the added help to science and humanity to find unravel the mysteries contained in the chemistry of the human body.

You want stats? Spend more, build more, OC more, or go the non-$$$ route and recruit more. If you think a slide backwards is painful, don't check the stats :D

This whole Rage thing is like a post marathon depression. I trained for six months to run the AIDS marathon in Honolulu last December and it was an incredible experience. The miles kept adding up during our training runs as did the anticipation of the event.

While the experience was something I will never forget (26.2 miles in 5:18:45, not bad for my first marathon) I was left with a somber feeling of NOW WHAT????

Take some time off in your post battle lull. Leave your rigs folding, find some new ones if you can, but just bail from the everyday stats/forums/posts etc. After a couple of weeks I bet you'll be ready with bigger and better ideas on how you can help the team, your stats, and the cause.

Wedo

Wedo said:
While the experience was something I will never forget (26.2 miles in 5:18:45, not bad for my first marathon) I was left with a somber feeling of NOW WHAT????

That's exactly how I feel. The now what question. There is no chance that I'll stop folding for Team 32 :D I'm the goal oriented type of person that needs to achieve something. Now that I made it to the top 10 (well now I'm out of the top 10), I guess what's left is to pass Stanman and then join one of the subteams to boost them in rankings.

I'll think about it some more while on vacation this week. So if my production goes down don't think I've stopped, just gone for a week ;)

See yall next week.

azhari said:

That's exactly how I feel. The now what question. There is no chance that I'll stop folding for Team 32 :D I'm the goal oriented type of person that needs to achieve something. Now that I made it to the top 10 (well now I'm out of the top 10), I guess what's left is to pass Stanman and then join one of the subteams to boost them in rankings.

I'll think about it some more while on vacation this week. So if my production goes down don't think I've stopped, just gone for a week ;)

See yall next week.

hey glad to hear it azhari!! we appreciated your didication, and that you for all the folding you have done for team 32 and the folding cause!

have fun on vacation:D

FOLD ON
NAS

I feel azari's pain. I reached 5,000 this past week and am sliding backwards. Will lose top twenty in a month or so. I am taking an interesting tack. I have changed my folding name to Jetmech_51 and have started over. Now I can again watch myself climb instead of slip, and Stanford/team32 will get the benefits of no lost in my production. I'm a mean folding machine. Hear me roar.:beer: :burn:

Supersonic man :D

Its not really a pain, more like a motivational thing. Earlier I was always looking for others to convert them to folding, but as the motivation goes down I don't look as hard. That's all.

JetMech has a good idea. But I've come up with another idea that I'll mull over and chat with you guys about when I get back.

Fold on bros.

Back