• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help kt7a problems.......please!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Subzer0

i just set up my new tbird 1.2 and abit kt7a raid [im not using raid as yet] it will not run with out screen freezes and lockups/hangs and everything else . all my software is getting msg's like "corrupted software "or could have a virus, and this is after about 10 formats! cant install games or if it does complete it wont run,just locks up, ive changed ram /agp card[geforce 2 mx] i even returned the mobo telling them its faulty,i was using everything else in my p3 733 and was fine? does this sound like a chip problem or does anybody know of others having similar problems? please help man ive left pentium because i see how they are getting their asses kicked by AMD and i want to stay with em...................................ps it running default speed

Ok, what OS are you running and what cooling are you using? By format I assume you really did format your drive and do a fresh OS install.
I would remove everything but what is needed to boot. Pull all the cards but the video, the only software you should have installed is the OS. Test the system for stability. If it is stable add your hardware one part at a time, testing for stability after each component. If are stable when it is back together then you probably have a software problem. Do the same thing with the software, install it one program at a time. When you become unstable ,stop installing, you will have found the problem.

First you must be the turtle, slow and steady wins the race. Once the system learns to walk, with your setup it should be able to run like hell.

ok,im running windows 98 se ,30 gb quantum ,hercules prophet2 mx 32mb,sound blaster live,adaptec scsi card,scsi burner [external] im using a globalwin heatsink fan [the newer version of the fop38] 6800 rpm,and yes i did a full format,i have scan disk'd and defraged.and as ive put a new mobo in and new card and hdd im thinking its my chip,can anybody judging by my input tell me if this could be the case?......thanks for your quick responses

jgaud (May 09, 2001 02:27 a.m.):
im wondering if your virus check (in bios) is enabled, plus you didnt start with a fresh format did you?

I forgot to mention that, thanks jgaud. Disable that setting, it causes much more harm than good.
Remove all the extra stuff, burner, sound card... That will tell us if it is the processor and motherboard or the other stuff. When you are testing for a problem keep it as simple as possible.

Make sure you don't use slot 5. Tech support told me it is shared with the agp slot.

have u checked if the rams r fitted in properlly??
or tried it with different rams???
if u r getting corrupted files even when it is running stock and everything is checked then it is usally the ram is the problem.
but unless your hdd is getting badsectors ???

GOD....

yes thats a new 1 ,ill try that straight away{slot 5 ] and virus option is disabled,i even swaped the chip with another today,still the same. i basically changed everything in my system[new hercules mx ,case with 300watt psu, 30 gb quantum. an example of hang is every web address is fiullout or form hangs a soon as i click or press tab for next line ,in installs it sometimes stops at 15%[over and over on a good cd] cant install office 2000.. clone cd [burner app] says corrupted file,check 4 virus etc.....
are there any patches that can fix this as it seems like there is some kind of compatabitly problem and thanks again guys for being so fast in the replies and i hope i can be of assistance to you sometime

have you tried running dr. watson? sounds like programs are changing 98 files and corruptng them.if dr watsons finds errors run system file checker and restore windows files.wonder how i might know this?see my signature.hope it helps,i have found no permanant cure for these ails,yet.

I had a similar prob on one of my older boards, turned out to be a bad IDE cable and also a bad power connector going into the hdd. I couldn't run anything, it would just lock up at random. Just a thought.

Fiz

JEFF (May 10, 2001 03:37 p.m.):
have you tried running dr. watson? sounds like programs are changing 98 files and corruptng them.if dr watsons finds errors run system file checker and restore windows files.wonder how i might know this?see my signature.hope it helps,i have found no permanant cure for these ails,yet.
ok how do you use dr watson? i think your theory is right though
also how do i create a signature?
by the way i have to again thank you all for your ideas ,it shows you do know your stuff here ,unfortunately i got a weird problem so ill try not to annoy anyone by making this topic have more than 100 posts{lol}

bring up help in windows entr dr,click display and follow instructions on taking a snapshot of your system.it will tell you if there are any errors(usually)if yes ,again bring up help and enter system,look down for file checker and click display and will give you a blue start system file checker,click it and it will scan files and ask what to do(if u r not sure about files click on last box)it may ask for your 98 cd to restore files.there is slighly more to it than that but by memory its hard to remember.im a novis so im sure u can get it right.hope it helps!

Back