• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help me Decide Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SSVicious

Registered
Hi. I am wanting a P4 cpu to overclock a lot. I see people getting around 3.6 ghz with the 2.8C, but someone said you can get 4.0 ghz out of a 3.0C. This is all on air, supposedly.

Also, I know that the Prescotts are out. I want to overclock a bunch and I heard that the Prescotts won't overclock as well as the Cs.

The 3.0C ghz is about 40 dollars more than the 2.8C. Is it worth the 40 dollars, and how likely is it that I will achieve 4.0 on the 3.0 and 3.6 on the 2.8?

BTW, I already know which moboand RAM I want, so the only factor left is the CPU.

Thanks.

I think with a bit of work you'll get 3.6ghz-3.8ghz on a 3.0c

keep in mind you'll need good CPU cooling, and case cooling.

4.0ghz is something for the extrame vapo and promie guys.
are you willing to spend that much for 100mhz-200mhz more???

look at what I'm doing with my brand new 3.0c in my sig.
give me a week or two and I just might make 3.8+ghz

mica

I think 3.6 on air for a 2.8c is wishful thinking and luck of the draw. Mine's been pushed as far as I can get it and it toops out at 3.36 regardless, keeping mind we're talking Prime95 stable and other benchies. I've got it to boot up to 3.5+, but will lock up or ramdom reboot reall quick. so if'you're shooting for 3.6+, I'd say go with the 3.0c or 3.2c and you should ge there.

Overclocking is a gamble at best. A few lucky people have gotten 4 gig on air from the 3.0C, but that is far from routine. The average is more like 3.5 to 3.75 gig with good cooling and all the right components. Exceptional 3.0C's like Mica's might do 3.8+ gig.

The 2.8C is a good overclocker, but average is probably more like 3.4 to 3.5 gig... maybe 3.6 gig if you get a good M0 stepping. The Prescotts will actually overclock pretty good, but the trouble is they run super hot, so they are not good choices for air cooling.

As always, your mileage may vary.

just in few words
2,8 is good choice
and if u want to give little more many pick 3.0c
good luck

SSVicious , Don't count the Prescotts out because they " don't overclock well

As Batboy stated they actually do over clock rather well if you can manage the heat they produce

I have been able to get my 2.8E to over 3.6 on air. I chose to back it down because of the heat issues.

Dave

its rally pure luck. People can usually get around 3.6 or 3.7 from the 3.0C and around 3.2~3.3...but its a gamble anyhow. wish you the best luck.

I have both @ 2.8C and a 3.0C. They both attained about the average overclock. In my sig systems, the 3.0 @ 3.56 (236), 5:4, outperforms the 2.8 @ 3.388(242), 1:1. The average 3.0 is going to do even better at 1:1. I gave up on the 3.0 because I had this dream of running a 1000MHz effective FSB and built the 2.8 and it turned out worse. You can dream on but, for every guy that gets that magic chip that does 3.8 on air, there are tons more that don't. You could be lucky.... or not.

I just booted a new 3.2c which is currently priming at 3.45, on it's way upward ( I hope). My 2.8c maxed at 3.36, and refused to budge, although that gave me a 17.8% overclock. By math, this 3.2 should hit 3.7 based on the same percentage before it tops out. I'll let you know how it goes, as I'm now venturing into uncharted territory, at least for me!
But i also upgraded the heatsink to a SLK 94 with a Vantec 80mm tornado for cooling so that might give me some more room.

Back